[FT] Kilmarnock 2 - 1 Rangers (Arfield 32)

6 minutes ago, les186 said:

We need better players. Some of our players can play very well at times but the mark of a very good player is consistency and we don't have enough of them. Good players cost money and we don't appear to be generating much of that at the moment or producing players through our youth system.

I think it's hard to be fair. We're damned if we do, damned if we don't. We have a decent first XI but we have a lot of squad players that are exactly just that, squad players. Guys like Jones are not going to win us the league but what do we do? Spend money we don't have for expensive back up players? I'm sure SG was hoping the fringe players would press more for starting places but it's not materialised. 

I feel sorry for Stewart tbh. I thought he looked like he could offer something different between midfield and attack.

Jones I do not rate at all. Looks happy enough just to be at Rangers IMO.

I also question the judgement of throwing in Hagi into the team at this point of the season. I'm excited he is here but now we are looking for him to change games after 10 minutes in the country. 

I may get pelters but I would persevere with Kamara, Davis and Jack in the middle. It was working for us and helped us control games but I feel we've lost that dominance now. 

"I may get pelters but I would persevere with Kamara, Davis and Jack in the middle. It was working for us and helped us control games but I feel we've lost that dominance now. " 

I'd agree. Last night our midfield was nowhere in the second half, but defensively we didn't look strong enough, the number of times we got possession and then gave it back was our downfall.

Edited by les186

6 hours ago, les186 said:

"I may get pelters but I would persevere with Kamara, Davis and Jack in the middle. It was working for us and helped us control games but I feel we've lost that dominance now. " 

I'd agree. Last night our midfield was nowhere in the second half, but defensively we didn't look strong enough, the number of times we got possession and then gave it back was our downfall.

Our defence also relies on the guys in front of them and for me much of that solidity came from Kamara, Davis and Jack. I know he has scored some goals of late but we won't win anything with Scott Arfield in central midfield 

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, indeed. 

Were some not complaining about constant changes last season, and now we're complaining about him being obstinate? 

The only player I think has been unlucky, with regards to minutes on the pitch is Stewart. (Polster's a Tavernier replacement, so won't play often; Docherty doesn't quite suit the system, and hasn't shown enough; Jones has been injured; and Edmundson has Goldson, Helander and Katic ahead of him, so he's not going to play as much.) Add to that they are different types of players from the ideal first XI players. We need more attacking options off the bench. 

The 4-3-2-1 was working very well, and then since the break we've struggled to create chances and score goals. SG has tried to change that with the 4-2-3-1, adding another attacker to the mix. We're still struggling. 

For me, the problem is there is no movement. Mane and Salah are constantly running into the channel, in-behind; our guys are standing there waiting for the ball. Liverpool also have Robertson and TAA running on the overlap too, or coming into the channel to make space for the wingers out wide; our Full-backs are quite static, waiting for the ball -- although Barisic is better than Tavernier at that. Even Henderson and Wijnaldum break forward; our CMs don't break forward very much at all. 

(If you watch Robertson, Mane and Wijnaldum, they are constantly rotating position; each taking each others positions at some stage.)

The first XI is good, IMO, but we need to work on movement on and off the ball; rotations, making space for each other, third man runs, running in-behind to stretch the defenders, etc. 

I think it's an old-fashioned way of playing to say 'go out and express yourself'; you need to be a good player for that, and we don't quite have that calibre of player. We should be giving them detailed instructions, like a Guardiola or Bielsa: if X has the ball, Y move here, Z moves there, etc. 

I don't think wholesale changes are needed. We just need to work on attacking movements. 

17 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

the problem is there is no movement

I agree.  But isn't that one of the most basic aspects of attacking football?

Are the players being coached correctly and if so, are they choosing to ignore it?

53 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, indeed. 

Were some not complaining about constant changes last season, and now we're complaining about him being obstinate? 

The only player I think has been unlucky, with regards to minutes on the pitch is Stewart. (Polster's a Tavernier replacement, so won't play often; Docherty doesn't quite suit the system, and hasn't shown enough; Jones has been injured; and Edmundson has Goldson, Helander and Katic ahead of him, so he's not going to play as much.) Add to that they are different types of players from the ideal first XI players. We need more attacking options off the bench. 

The 4-3-2-1 was working very well, and then since the break we've struggled to create chances and score goals. SG has tried to change that with the 4-2-3-1, adding another attacker to the mix. We're still struggling. 

For me, the problem is there is no movement. Mane and Salah are constantly running into the channel, in-behind; our guys are standing there waiting for the ball. Liverpool also have Robertson and TAA running on the overlap too, or coming into the channel to make space for the wingers out wide; our Full-backs are quite static, waiting for the ball -- although Barisic is better than Tavernier at that. Even Henderson and Wijnaldum break forward; our CMs don't break forward very much at all. 

(If you watch Robertson, Mane and Wijnaldum, they are constantly rotating position; each taking each others positions at some stage.)

The first XI is good, IMO, but we need to work on movement on and off the ball; rotations, making space for each other, third man runs, running in-behind to stretch the defenders, etc. 

I think it's an old-fashioned way of playing to say 'go out and express yourself'; you need to be a good player for that, and we don't quite have that calibre of player. We should be giving them detailed instructions, like a Guardiola or Bielsa: if X has the ball, Y move here, Z moves there, etc. 

I don't think wholesale changes are needed. We just need to work on attacking movements. 

Good post - please expand a wee bit for a Livi match preview... ;) 

27 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I agree.  But isn't that one of the most basic aspects of attacking football?

Are the players being coached correctly and if so, are they choosing to ignore it?

I think there is movement but not enough of the correct type.

For example, if late, Kent seems to be dropping too deep too often.  It works sometimes, as it allows him to come across the field and switch the play to Tab who's usually in space given the initial attack came down the left.

Hagi has tried to do the same from the other flank but it doesn't work well enough because Haliday isn't as expressive as Tav. 

Further, Aribo, Arfield and Jack weren't getting into the box often enough to create possible vertical passes.  When they did, they were often utilised but Killie defended well.

Kent always plays on the left and seems to always cut in from there to get onto his right foot.  I could be wrong about that being his natural foot as thought he was two footed but he comes inside and more often than not of late loses the ball rather than taking the man on and getting closer to the bye-line for a cross.  Maybe swap him over to the right hand side and see if he improves.  Hagi looks as if he could play anywhere.

I'd rather we sometimes played 2 up  top instead of just Morelos who has been pretty dire since he came back from suspension.

1 minute ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Kent always plays on the left and seems to always cut in from there to get onto his right foot.  I could be wrong about that being his natural foot as thought he was two footed but he comes inside and more often than not of late loses the ball rather than taking the man on and getting closer to the bye-line for a cross.  Maybe swap him over to the right hand side and see if he improves.  Hagi looks as if he could play anywhere.

I'd rather we sometimes played 2 up  top instead of just Morelos who has been pretty dire since he came back from suspension.

Kent is two footed but doesn't go down the line enough. 

It does surprise me that he and Hagi hasn't been swapping positions more often through games.