Gerrard should go now

Just now, Bluedell said:

You appear to me to be blinded by your dislike of Tav. 

It was incredible the number of people who, unprompted, said to me that we miss him when he's not in the team (or variations of it) even when Polster was playing.

Tav, to me is superior in every way to Polster, and we miss Tav whenever he's not in the team. You obviously don't see that, so we'll need to agree to disagree.

IMHO, it is vice versa, as many seem to see more in Tav that there really is. Pointing this out is no dislike of Tavernier, just stating my opinion.

Just now, der Berliner said:

IMHO, it is vice versa, as many seem to see more in Tav that there really is. Pointing this out is no dislike of Tavernier, just stating my opinion.

You never miss an opportunity to have a go at him. That suggests a dislike....which doesn't mean that it's also not your opinion.

The latest debacle can be spun any way we choose but the bottom line is we're still some way from being the team and the club we need to be. The league flag is a pipe dream unless we can fix the fragility that has dogged us ever since we returned to the PL. Whether individual elements such as the manager or captain or chairman or whatever are good enough is probably academic when it's clear to me we are simply  unable to make the best of what we do have. I don't know why that is but we've become underachievers when our financial status requires us to be the polar opposite.

We have half the team running around like headless chickens yesterday - Kent, Hagi, Morelos, Aribo, Halliday, Tavernier - none of whom showed the slightest self-belief or an idea what they were trying to do. It's profoundly dispiriting to see such a mess and yet see no obvious reason for it. You could be forgiven for thinking the show is coming apart at the seams - the manager has clearly lost faith in the players and the players have lost faith in themselves. When will this end?

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Every side gets injuries DMAA, that's what we've got a squad for (Morelos wasn't injured, he was suspended). Successful sides cope, they have a balanced squad and are able to provide cover. I mean it's not like we were forced to throw in young boys last night, kids with no experience. If we've no cover at full back or upfront then that's fairly damning on it's own. It hurts to type this but Celtic played us in a cup final without a recognised forward on the pitch and still somehow managed to lift the trophy. 

I don't think Gerrard should be sacked, far from it, but I don't accept that injuries are behind this. Last night's side was only missing Barasic and maybe Helander, we should be able to beat Kilmarnock. As for Hearts, frankly, there is no excuse for that defeat, none at all. 

I did say that it wasn't an excuse, but that Gerrard should be cut some slack and I said that the starting 11 had been ravaged by injuries and suspensions.

Yes every team gets injuries but my point is that Gerrard has had exceptionally bad luck since Dec 29th in losing the backbone of his team at the same time. A lot of people seem to think this should have had no effect on form. They have seemed surprised that we didn't just carry on steamrolling teams like we did in the 19 games till Dec 29th. The reality is that we always knew we were reliant on Morelos, Tavernier, Jack and Barisic and it shouldn't be a shock when we stutter without them. Even in the first half of the season when we did falter it co-incided with key men not playing. It's not an excuse for the points we've dropped as you say but there is a mitigating context to Gerrard's failure in recent games.

Far to much of this knocking the ball to each other in the midfield I will say the words of an old Ibrox worthy who used to stand behind us at every home game .

Get f*****g into them .:rfc: 

Fancy Dan football is okay if your man city or Barca with their budgets 

51 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I did say that it wasn't an excuse, but that Gerrard should be cut some slack and I said that the starting 11 had been ravaged by injuries and suspensions.

Yes every team gets injuries but my point is that Gerrard has had exceptionally bad luck since Dec 29th in losing the backbone of his team at the same time. A lot of people seem to think this should have had no effect on form. They have seemed surprised that we didn't just carry on steamrolling teams like we did in the 19 games till Dec 29th. The reality is that we always knew we were reliant on Morelos, Tavernier, Jack and Barisic and it shouldn't be a shock when we stutter without them. Even in the first half of the season when we did falter it co-incided with key men not playing. It's not an excuse for the points we've dropped as you say but there is a mitigating context to Gerrard's failure in recent games.

I still think the squad is on the thin side, something that can hopefully be addressed in pre season. We are reliant on a few key players and when some are unavailable the team struggles. On Talsport today people were saying that Morelos should be sold to fund 3 quality players that would strengthen the team further, one of them being a new striker.

28 minutes ago, compo said:

Fancy Dan football is okay if your man city or Barca with their budgets 

Gerrard is attempting to play the way Klopp's Liverpool side does.  

An off-form Morelos, Kent doing naff all and a 21 year old loanee aren't exactly Firmino, Salah and Mane.

Warburton's "Plan B is doing Plan A better" nonsense seems quite popular with Gerrard, who rarely reacts to opposition tactics.  He's going to have to be a bit more flexible if he wants to be a successful manager. 

20 hours ago, BEARGER said:

A few experienced managers available at moment, would they come to Scotland is the question. , Kovac, Allardyce, Blanc, Gracia etc etc.

I wouldn't touch Allardyce with a shitty stick.

If we are playing this game, then Sean Dyche would be another matter. 

I agree with earlier poster that it's more likely that SG would walk rather than him being sacked. 

5 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

I wouldn't touch Allardyce with a shitty stick.

If we are playing this game, then Sean Dyche would be another matter. 

I agree with earlier poster that it's more likely that SG would walk rather than him being sacked. 

Yes I agree with your choice. But the point I was making was that these guys are available now. I also agree that SG will probably make the choice.