Gerrard should go now

15 minutes ago, DMAA said:

On tight grounds where it's hard to create space with intricate passing you have to wonder if 2 up front is worth a go and a slight more direct style. I know it's horribly out of fashion but 4-4-2 has some strengths. Without Barisic in particular we lack threat on the left when Halliday steps in. In a 4-4-2 the need for a marauding full back isn't the same if you have a winger who can do it. At Killie we could have had,

Tav  Goldson  Katic  Halliday

Kent  Jack    Aribo/Hagi  Jones

Morelos   Kamberi

Kent could be twice the player he is now if he was allowed to just focus on running onto through balls played in between the centre back and the full back and then cutting it back or chipping it to the back post. Just now he is playing as a playmaker at times which he is terrible at, and his shooting is awful more often than not. If he hugged the touchline on the right I think he could give a left back a horrendous time. If the left back stayed narrow (which they want to do when sitting in) he wouldn't be able to stop Kent running straight down the line and getting in behind. The left back would be pulled out wide which would open up a gap between him and the centre back which is exactly what you want.

I'm not saying the above would be a recipe for success in every game because the 4-3-2-1 has served us well but you'd have to think we are surely looking at alternatives now, especially when big players are missing.

Yes, but you don't need to change the whole formation to isolate Kent against the Full-back. 

If one of the wide CMs stepped up into the half-space, Barisic tucks in, then Kent can go wide. That's the sort of thing Man City do, to get Stirling in-behind. 

With the 4-4-2, there's no reason for the opposition FB and RM to stay narrow if there's no one there to mark. Not in every situation, but you know...

4 hours ago, Frankie said:

For me, it's a fairly understandable initial reaction but, I can't see how anyone would, after some reflection think sacking the manager and his coaching team would hasten our return to success.

There's no doubt Gerrard has his faults so to ignore that and/or our recent form would be silly.  However, we have made good progress over the last 18-24 months so sacking him after one period of bad form (in which we've been missing a few key players as well) is a complete over-reaction.

Much better to be constructive in our criticism:

1.  The manager simply has to be more flexible/adaptable in his selections and systems: relying on the 4-3-2-1 isn't working.

2.  He has to be prepared to change things quicker during games.

3.  To not have adequate similar backup for Barisic and Morelos, in particular, is now bordering on negligence when they are so important to the way we play.

4.  We have to solve the issues we have after international breaks.

5.  We have to examine why we've lost so many games recently from winning positions.

6.  He needs to be stronger in his criticism of the officials.

I'm sure we could add a few more points to take us to 10.  All things considered, discussing these flaws makes for a more interesting thread than ripping everything up and starting again, where we'd then need more transfer windows as well as finding a better manager, questions not certain to be answered.

I'm afraid, we just need to maintain our support and have further patience amidst dreadful times to be a Rangers fan.  That's not easy but, if don't fancy following our motto, then Rangers isn't for you.

Think you maybe picked me up wrong there, the 'speaking volumes' part is in reference to the op.

1 minute ago, Franc Ergs said:

Think you maybe picked me up wrong there, the 'speaking volumes' part is in reference to the op.

No, I understood you mate.

I'm glad the vast majority are being level-headed about the issues we face.  :)

6 minutes ago, Frankie said:

No, I understood you mate.

I'm glad the vast majority are being level-headed about the issues we face.  :)

? It's just a bit deflating to see this thread sitting at the top of the pile .

I'm not helping matters either ?.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, but you don't need to change the whole formation to isolate Kent against the Full-back. 

If one of the wide CMs stepped up into the half-space, Barisic tucks in, then Kent can go wide. That's the sort of thing Man City do, to get Stirling in-behind. 

With the 4-4-2, there's no reason for the opposition FB and RM to stay narrow if there's no one there to mark. Not in every situation, but you know...

No the main reason is that on a tight pitch, especially plastic, a more direct style can be more successful because you aren't as dependent on a slick surface and open spaces. The utilisation of Kent on the right was just an example of how it could benefit us.

I would disagree that there is no reason for the opposition full back to stay narrow against a 4-4-2. I say this as a full back who played against 4-4-2 every week for a long time. A full back always wants to be reasonably narrow when defending because the pass that you dread is the one between you and the centre back by a centre midfielder. Once that is played the winger is into an excellent position to set up a goal. When the winger receives the ball to feet, as long as he isn't exceptionally fast you should have plenty time to shuffle over and close the wide space down. So for me a smart full back will always err on the side of positioning himself too narrow rather than too wide when playing against a wide player in a 4-4-2, but a very fast player like Kent (on the wing of his favoured foot) makes it very hard for you to do that.

Edited by DMAA

9 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

What a myopic outlook. Who genuinely cares about this 10 in a row nonsense? They won more than half of those league titles while we were away from the league or were in utter turmoil. Bringing in a manager for a short term fix to simply to stop them is crazy and could do more damage long term IMO. That's old Rangers thinking and it's tired. 

SG is building something tangible. Has he made mistakes? Of course he has and I'm sure he would be the first person to admit that but let's stay strong and remember what he's done. You mention the last 32 in europe as if it's nothing. People really have short memories. It's just over 2 years since the club's lowest point in European football and we now we have a team that can compete in a European competition and doesn't look out of place. That's a huge step forward

Point is mate were  expecting a man that’s never won a league title to guide  a full team of players over the finishing line off winning a league title yip he’s improved us yip I love him but it’s no good enough mate it’s Glasgow Rangers we’re talking about we’ve proved 2 games now we’ve got player wise what we need  to dismantle them so when we’re dropping points like we have since we came back then sorry the blames got to lie with the manager the players have proved they’ve got it Advocaat in the summer maybe his last year in management never failed anywhere that’s the only man for me 

6 hours ago, Frankie said:

For me, it's a fairly understandable initial reaction but, I can't see how anyone would, after some reflection think sacking the manager and his coaching team would hasten our return to success.

There's no doubt Gerrard has his faults so to ignore that and/or our recent form would be silly.  However, we have made good progress over the last 18-24 months so sacking him after one period of bad form (in which we've been missing a few key players as well) is a complete over-reaction.

Much better to be constructive in our criticism:

1.  The manager simply has to be more flexible/adaptable in his selections and systems: relying on the 4-3-2-1 isn't working.

2.  He has to be prepared to change things quicker during games.

3.  To not have adequate similar backup for Barisic and Morelos, in particular, is now bordering on negligence when they are so important to the way we play.

4.  We have to solve the issues we have after international breaks.

5.  We have to examine why we've lost so many games recently from winning positions.

6.  He needs to be stronger in his criticism of the officials.

I'm sure we could add a few more points to take us to 10.  All things considered, discussing these flaws makes for a more interesting thread than ripping everything up and starting again, where we'd then need more transfer windows as well as finding a better manager, questions not certain to be answered.

I'm afraid, we just need to maintain our support and have further patience amidst dreadful times to be a Rangers fan.  That's not easy but, if don't fancy following our motto, then Rangers isn't for you.

You’ve listed 6 things there what the manger needs to change or be better at does that not tell you something cmon let’s take a football manager and ask him to change these 6 things cmon mate really that list you’ve put up proves you agree with what am saying but don’t want to say what you heads telling you he’s no good enough you’ve just listed it why after 18 + months has Stevie not started to work these things out a love the guy he’s what we needed at the time but now it’s about getting over that finishing line his substitutions are shocking his squad rotation shocking tav should never be captain should never let candeas go Jordan jones looked the part got the injury against Celtic we get him fit again and all of a sudden he’s no good enough and we’re trying to pump him out on loan barker never a sniff Ojo never a sniff Stewart never a sniff a could keep going what’s going on mate you tell me cause am lost with it a think whole heartedly we’ve got the players to win the league but as much as a love the man he’s no going to be the man to get us there

4 minutes ago, Doug1212 said:

You’ve listed 6 things there what the manger needs to change or be better at does that not tell you something cmon let’s take a football manager and ask him to change these 6 things cmon mate really that list you’ve put up proves you agree with what am saying but don’t want to say what you heads telling you he’s no good enough you’ve just listed it why after 18 + months has Stevie not started to work these things out a love the guy he’s what we needed at the time but now it’s about getting over that finishing line his substitutions are shocking his squad rotation shocking tav should never be captain should never let candeas go Jordan jones looked the part got the injury against Celtic we get him fit again and all of a sudden he’s no good enough and we’re trying to pump him out on loan barker never a sniff Ojo never a sniff Stewart never a sniff a could keep going what’s going on mate you tell me cause am lost with it a think whole heartedly we’ve got the players to win the league but as much as a love the man he’s no going to be the man to get us there

I could list six issues with your suggestion of Dick Advocaat if you like? ;)

7 minutes ago, Doug1212 said:

Do you not understand punctuation? That's just a jumble of words,

25 minutes ago, Doug1212 said:

Rangers doesn't exist in a vacuum.  Other coaches and managers are constantly analysing our players and tactics, looking for weaknesses that can be exploited. 

There are flaws in every tactical system - its just whether you have good enough players to be able to mitigate them as well as adjust to what your opponent is doing.