Sturridge a free agent (and now banned from all football until next season)

I see that Daniel Sturridge has terminated his contract with Trabzonspor.

It's been mentioned in the past obviously because of SG but I'd give this a go depending on wages, pay per play or goals based etc.

Morelos hasn't been interested sincee Christmas although hopefully he will have accepted his punishment and come back scoring goals.  kamberi looks pretty good to me too but I'd still be asking the question re Sturriidge on a free.

What are you expecting? The player from 10 years ago that played with Suarez and Stirling and scored goals for fun, or the recent journeyman that can't play for more than 90 minutes without getting injured?

Kenny Miller is available - he scored a lot of goals 10 years ago. 

• Frankie changed the title to Sturridge a free agent (and now banned from all football until next season)

Daniel Sturridge cannot play football until June as betting ban is extended

Striker mutually agrees end of contract with Trabzonspor

Player was originally given six-week ban for rules breach

Guardian sport

Mon 2 Mar 2020 16.18 GMTFirst published on Mon 2 Mar 2020 11.50 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/02/daniel-sturridge-trabzonspor-contract-terminated-after-six-months

Daniel Sturridge called on betting companies to cease the practice of opening markets on potential player transfers. 

Daniel Sturridge has been banned from “all football and football-related activity” worldwide until 17 June, been fined £150,000 and his three-year contract with Trabzonspor terminated after just six months as the Football Association successfully appealed against the “unduly lenient” length of his ban for a betting offence.

His time playing in England ended under a cloud after he was fined £75,000 and banned for six weeks last summer – with the final four weeks of his ban suspended – when he was found guilty of providing his brother with inside information on a potential move to Sevilla in 2018. The FA appealed against the short length of that ban and today announced the player’s “effective playing ban” had been extended from two weeks to four months”. The fine has also now been doubled.

In a statement the FA said: “Following an appeal by The FA of the previous findings of the independent Regulatory Commission in this case, an independent Appeal Board has found that the Regulatory Commission misapplied The FA’s Rules in relation to the use of inside information and made findings of fact which could not be sustained. As a result, the Appeal Board has found proven two further charges which were originally dismissed.”

“The Appeal Board agreed with The FA that the penalty originally imposed on Mr Sturridge was unduly lenient and therefore increased his effective playing ban from two weeks to four months. The Appeal Board also doubled the fine to £150,000.”

The governing body added: “Fifa has confirmed that the suspension will be of worldwide effect.”

In a video posted on Instagram, Sturridge said: “I am going to continue to campaign for professional footballers to be able to speak to their families and close friends freely without the real risk of being charged. I feel … the betting companies and the practice of people being able to place bets on players moving clubs has to be stopped.

It was very disappointing and upsetting for me to hear the news that the appeal panel had overturned the original highly qualified panel’s ruling.

“My season’s over – I’m devastated. I feel uncomfortable and I don’t think it’s the right thing for me to continue accepting wages from a team that I can’t contribute [to]. I’ve come to a mutual agreement with Trabzonspor to terminate my contract. I’d just like to thank the Trabzonspor family.”

The former Liverpool and England striker, aged 30, had signed the deal with Trabzonspor on 21 August after his contract with Liverpool expired. Sturridge scored seven goals in 16 appearances for the Turkish side, who top the Super Lig table after 23 matches on goal difference with all of the top three on the same number of points. His goal return in the league was four from 11 appearances, with his remaining three coming from a two-legged Turkish Cup tie against the second-tier side Altay.

A Trabzonspor statement said: “The contract signed between our company and our professional footballer Daniel Andre Sturridge, dated 21.08.2019 and ending 31.05.2021 has been mutually terminated. In accordance with the termination agreement, the football player gave up all his forward-looking rights and receivables.”

Earlier, the club tweeted: “We thank Daniel Sturridge for his contributions to our club and wish him success in his career #thankyoudanielsturridge.”

The past six months have been marked by the same injury frustrations that have blighted the forward’s career and effectively ended his international hopes, with groin, thigh and calf problems restricting his availability in recent times. His most recent of 26 England caps came in a World Cup qualifier against Lithuania in 2017.