A question about our 4-3-3?

i have seen many people point to our formation being the main part of our problems domestically. gerrard was even asked this by chris jack yesterday but my question is...

what is different from the period between the split last season to the end of december 2019 and now?

we ended last season on fire and were pretty much unbeatable the first half of the season - think we only lost to celtic domestically - plus we done well in europe over that period. 

i don’t think the formation is the problem. i think our intensity has dropped massively and i think that is the problem. we are no longer player at the pace we were which teams (including celtic) just couldn’t handle.

fix this and the formation won’t matter surely?

thoughts?

• Frankie changed the title to A question about our 4-3-3?

I think it's down to a few factors more than just the formation.

Most importantly we've either been missing key players through injury or suspension and when they have been available, they've all been poor.

If we consider Tav, Barisic, Jack, Davis, Kent and Morelos to be our key players (and they are) then none have shown any form this year.  That's more than half our team.  I'd fancy if Foster, Julien, McGregor, Brown, Christie, Forrest and Eduard stopped doing the business for Celtic, they'd also struggle.

However, that's not an excuse and that's where criticism of the manager comes in for not being able to adapt: either in terms of ensuring we have the squad able to cope and/or changing the system to suit.

In addition to Frankie's comments, we seemed to pull our "number 10s" in narrower, whereas the likes of Kent seem to operate better when playing wider.

Also, our formation required a high intensity approach, which seems to have been lacking since the break, as you mention. There may be a number of reasons for this, including general drop off in form and the early start to the season and number of games now catching up on us.

I'm firmly in the 'formation-isn't-the-issue' camp. 

I think it started with a lack of intensity after the break, and then when the results suffered our confidence plummeted; and now we're stuck in this mire of impotence. Davis was superb during the first half of the season, dictating the play and tempo, and couldn't do anything wrong. Now, he can barely make a 5 yard pass without giving it away. That's not down to the formation.

We do have an issue of not getting options off the bench: we stick with the same line-ups through the bad form. They deserved to be dropped but I sort of understand why he doesn't change too often: I don't think we have the options off the bench -- at least not in the same system. 

Polster could come in for Tavernier, but he's generally not as good and Tavernier's the captain: you very rarely drop your captain. A change in Captaincy would be best, IMO: I think Jack, Goldson or even McGregor have better leadership qualities than Tavernier. Tavernier's captaincy was based on his exceptional injury record and good form. 

I would like to see a different formation. Gerrard has used 3-4-1-2 at Liverpool Youths. To be honest, I don't see it happening and even if it did, we would still have the same issues if our players can't get up for it.

One tactical change I'd like to see is a better use of one of our #8s (Jack and Arfield most recently). Gerrard does like the 5-5 structure (5 defending, 5 attacking), which is standard across Europe, so it's not too much of an issue. However, domestically, I think one of our #8s should occupy higher positions. I think leaving 4 back is enough to pass around any press and defend the counter. A more advanced #8 between the lines would give more passing options. 

Similar to seasons before, of late we mainly rely on our centre-halfs to provide the creative passes and crosses, rather than handing that role to Davis or Jack. Our 4-3-3 is more or less a 4-2-3-1 which becomes a 2-2-5-1, i.e. our CHs usually stay behind, Jack, Kamara, and/or Davis in front of them, while the full-backs push up into a wingback role. 

Our main problem - in addition to the above - this year has been that wing-service from the fullbacks has been minimal, while being regularly overran by counter-attacking opposition. There seemingly is no real cohesion between Arfield, Aribo, and Kent, whoever is up top is usually surrounded by opposition defenders and thus meanders across the front-line. All in all, against packed defenses we seemingly have no distinct plan, everything happens on the spot and "by accident". Kent is IMHO no real left winger and usually lacks the space he needs to make use of his rapid trickery and running. Neither Aribo nor Hagi are right-sided attackers, nor is Arfield. The last three look shoe-horned into that 3-man attack role not made for them.

Against Accies (or any other team of the brickwall brigade, I'd simply revert to a 3-man defense, one DM in front of them to cover any runners, two real wingers, Hagi as the creative force, and two strikers keeping the opposition's centre half on constant alert levels. That would leave 2 slots in MF open, which could be filled with Aribo or Kent, or workers like Jack, Davis and Arfield. The wingers would be required to step back somewhat if we lose the ball, but I have seen Stewart and Jones doing it before.

If you had, in your pool of 1st team players, three "strikers", say...oh...Hately, McCoist and Mo Johnston, would you -as a rule- play one up front? 

For me, especially, and specifically, against SPL heiders and hoofers, you pay two up front; as a rule.

And, do you know, this might even ease the pressure on (the treatment of) Morelos, on the pitch, to his, and the team's, benefit.

So, Kamberi and Alfie up top, Hagi in behind. 

For Europe and, arguably, for the fhilth, you might adjust tactics and formation.

As for the Captaincy, nowadays,  how important is it? This is worth a debate on its own.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

McGregor is never a captain. Too prone to bouts of hysteria.

Correct. Much as I like him as a keeper, the idea of him being captain is ridiculous. Bombscare territory.

I think the correct choice of captain is important and from the start Tavernier has never looked like someone who actually believes he deserves the role.

Edited by Bill