The Great Salmond Sex Scandal

21 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

“Top” cvil servants shouldn’t need advice on the presentation of evidence about acts of governance. None of them is under caution. 

If that were the case, Salmond wouldn't need a legal team since he was the most senior civil servant for a number of years.  This has grown so many arms and legs that I wouldn't be doing anything without legal advice if I were in any way involved.

5 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Some reports that the Scottish Executive paid a fee of £50,000 to an agency to help top civil servants prepare their evidence to the Inquiry.

Civil servants unable to remember their brief?  Disgraceful.

or

Civil servants being coached for a new brief?  Shocking.

Which the greater scandal?

being coached like a solicitor putting his client through a mock trial coaching them on how to answer the questions put to them 

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

If that were the case, Salmond wouldn't need a legal team since he was the most senior civil servant for a number of years.  This has grown so many arms and legs that I wouldn't be doing anything without legal advice if I were in any way involved.

The groping lothario was a civil Servant? Really? 

Do you know what a CS is or does?

2 hours ago, stewarty said:

Salmond wouldn't need a legal team

He had to retain solicitors and counsel to bring his case against the self-styled SG and then to defend the indictment against him. Unlike the civil servants, he has apersonal interest in the Inquiry so he needs advice about its conduct and procedure. He won’t have to be coached in what to say. Anyway according to m’learned friends, coaching a witness is unethical. Bet it happens a lot though. 

6 hours ago, gaspard said:

The groping lothario was a civil Servant? Really? 

Do you know what a CS is or does?

Okay yes, he’s an elected politician, but they serve the public so allow me some latitude on a poor choice of words. 

5 hours ago, Scott7 said:

He had to retain solicitors and counsel to bring his case against the self-styled SG and then to defend the indictment against him. Unlike the civil servants, he has apersonal interest in the Inquiry so he needs advice about its conduct and procedure. He won’t have to be coached in what to say. Anyway according to m’learned friends, coaching a witness is unethical. Bet it happens a lot though. 

Indeed.  But this is murky territory with claim and counter-claim.  Who knows (yet) what to believe on certain matters, other than somebody isn’t being entirely truthful. Probably all of them.  

To be clear, I’m not defending this, just offering a possible explanation in the absence of more detailed information.   It seems very odd to me that such a thing is necessary in the circumstances. It smacks of an attempted cover up 

Edited by stewarty