Leon King signs first professional contract

This is great news for the club.  One of the best in many a year.  Elfideldo will have seen more of him than I but I have seen Leon off and on since he was about 8 when my own kid played against him just prior to him signing for the club (was previously at Barrhead BC).

Very humble young man with great desire, great physique and has a very bright future in the game in my opinion.  Kevin Thomson told me last year that Leon "has everything to make it to the top of the game".  Had the pleasure to speak to him for a few minutes when he trained with Kevin in January along with my son.  

I also heard, from a very good source, that Man U said Leon was "the best of his age group in the whole of Europe".  Here's hoping we see him continue to be involved around the senior team and, hopefully, make an appearance or two before the season is out.

Signed till 2022

On 07/03/2020 at 17:48, RANGERRAB said:

How many from our youth set-up actually go on to establish themselves in our first team ?

Wouldn’t read too much into this,but good luck to Leon 

It would be interesting to see how we compare with other big teams.   

1 hour ago, Briton said:

It would be interesting to see how we compare with other big teams.   

That depends on who you're comparing up with and your definition of 'big'. We currently compare poorly with Celtic who have 3 or 4 first team regulars who came through their youths. Teams like Motherwell, Hamilton, Hearts and Aberdeen have a higher success rate, albeit there is less pressure and expectation on players there. Our spell in the lower leagues was a chance to build something but our ownership at the time wasn't good and the opportunity was wasted, it seems like we've started again in the last couple of years so we'll see what the next couple of years brings.

6 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

That depends on who you're comparing up with and your definition of 'big'. We currently compare poorly with Celtic who have 3 or 4 first team regulars who came through their youths. Teams like Motherwell, Hamilton, Hearts and Aberdeen have a higher success rate, albeit there is less pressure and expectation on players there. Our spell in the lower leagues was a chance to build something but our ownership at the time wasn't good and the opportunity was wasted, it seems like we've started again in the last couple of years so we'll see what the next couple of years brings.

Our spell in the lower leagues was a chance missed for sure.

And, even though I would agree with you regards being poorer than Celtic in terms of youths making the first team, I would contend that our top league hiatus helped them with that because the league title was never in any doubt - they could afford to bring in 3, 4 or 5 youths because they were always going to win the league by a landslide.  The question would be how many of their youths have made the step up since we returned to the top flight - and I don't think they are in much better shape than us in all honesty.