[FT] Rangers 1 - 3 Bayer Leverkusen (Edmundson 75)

12 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Why worry?

He's not the first choice right back and these things will happen.

If I'm not mistaken he isn't really a right back anyway.

I wasn't worrying.  Was responding to dB looking to say Tavernier should be replaced by Polster (or Patterson).  Polster did worse than Tavernier when he came on, and Tavernier was playing through injury.  But dB has this thing about Tavernier being his go-to punchbag.

12 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Just back.  They're a better team than us and it was a fair result.

I felt we were okay in the second half but the first half was hugely disappointing.   Little effort to get stuck in an seemed content just to make up the numbers.

Something is wrong at Ibrox.  Maybe the players, maybe the manager...maybe a bit of both.   Changes will have to be made.

Arfield was my MOTM.  He looked like he cared, at least.

Same.  I thought he put in a great shift, with little support roundabout him.  We shouldn't forget that Bayer really are a class team though.  Difficult playing against those teams.  I suspect that Gerrard actually wanted us to play with a low block, give them plenty of possession until they got to the final third where the space would be squeezed.  Worked well until the penalty in fairness.

12 hours ago, les186 said:

I'm saying they have produced some great results in Europe but they are not good enough to perform consistently in Scotland.

I would argue that the teams we have played in Europe have actually come out to play against us, which helps us.  We have dominated Celtic in 5 of the last 6 OF games.... they come out and play against us..... everyone else sits in and parks the bus.  It isn't that they aren't good enough, it is that we haven't found a solution to the teams that park the bus.

11 hours ago, der Berliner said:

There was nothing coming from Tav all night bar that flank ... and there are some who see a player in there that he clearly isn't.

Polster cost us the 3rd goal ... yep, of course. :violin:

Take a look at the 3rd goal again without your anti-Tavernier specs on.....  Polster over-ran the ball, considerably, in the opponent's half.  Then never fouled the guy to prevent a swift attack.... and then allowed the guy who scored the opportunity to turn him in the box.

I will take solace in the fact that the manager agrees with me, but thanks for your input :thup:

Tavernier is still a better option than Polster - doesn't matter how many different ways you try to dress it up.  Tavernier was playing injured, neither of the first two goals came from either his mistakes or his side of the pitch.... Polster comes on and makes TWO mistakes in the same build up and the goal is scored by a guy who steps inside him to finish (fine cut back and finish though it was, it came from Polster's side.....).

3 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

Aye, I reckon Craig hates Polster because of Brittany! Pictures of her placed all round his house. Maybe he is asking the servants if "they know a guy" who could do with the money......?. Seriously though, he did cost us the third goal, but I can't blame him the way Craig does as he was just on the park? 

If he cost us the goal why can't you blame him ?  Saying he cost us the goal IS blaming him.  And it WAS his fault.

However, I don't dislike Polster and, in fact, think he could do well for us with a run of games in the team.  However, what I am not prepared to do is to concede to dB when he basically blames Tavernier and says he should be replaced by Polster…. in a match thread where Tavernier didn't do anything wrong defensively (dB loves to say how being a defender is the first thing a defender needs to do....) and then wants Polster in who actually cost us a goal.  It makes absolutely zero logical sense based on both player's contributions last night.

Yeh I don’t get the heavy criticism of Tavernier. He created the best chance of the game for us and got the assist with a very good corner. But more importantly I just thought he was involved in good passages of play in that second half when we picked it up. At the very least I don’t think he should be singled out. 

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, craig said:

Take a look at the 3rd goal again without your anti-Tavernier specs on.....  Polster over-ran the ball, considerably, in the opponent's half.  Then never fouled the guy to prevent a swift attack.... and then allowed the guy who scored the opportunity to turn him in the box.

I will take solace in the fact that the manager agrees with me, but thanks for your input :thup:

Tavernier is still a better option than Polster - doesn't matter how many different ways you try to dress it up.  Tavernier was playing injured, neither of the first two goals came from either his mistakes or his side of the pitch.... Polster comes on and makes TWO mistakes in the same build up and the goal is scored by a guy who steps inside him to finish (fine cut back and finish though it was, it came from Polster's side.....).

I`ll watch it back and think about the opposition player and Polster`s "mistake" again. Tavernier does not need 10m wingers to get beaten or caught out of position time and again though.

As for the manager, he also fails to adapt to the Scottish game a tactic and line up that does not rely on a talismanic striker to see us through.

25 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I`ll watch it back and think about the opposition player and Polster`s "mistake" again. Tavernier does not need 10m wingers to get beaten or caught out of position time and again though.

As for the manager, he also fails to adapt to the Scottish game a tactic and line up that does not rely on a talismanic striker to see us through.

Polster got caught out by the same player that Tavernier hadn't been caught out by.  Let that sink in a second.

What has the "Scottish game" got to do with the managers tactics last night in a European game against non-Scottish competitors ?  Indeed, what has that got to do with the manager pointing out Polster was at fault for the goal ??  So, you now know more about the game than the person charged with guiding us ?  Someone that has been in the game at the professional level for over 20 years ?  

You just can't let it go, can you ?  Polster was at fault for the 3rd goal.  As DMAA said, Tavernier not only provided the assist for our goal last night but also created our best chance of the game.  He also did nothing wrong defensively.

I don't mind you wanting Polster to replace Tavernier... but in this thread, with regards to Tavernier's performance last night, given the mistakes the replacement you want made.... nope, on last night's showings it makes very little sense.

Tavernier deserves his fair share of criticism this season, absolutely.  But for his performance last night ?  Absolutely not.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Polster got caught out by the same player that Tavernier hadn't been caught out by.  Let that sink in a second.

What has the "Scottish game" got to do with the managers tactics last night in a European game against non-Scottish competitors ?  Indeed, what has that got to do with the manager pointing out Polster was at fault for the goal ??  So, you now know more about the game than the person charged with guiding us ?  Someone that has been in the game at the professional level for over 20 years ?  

You just can't let it go, can you ?  Polster was at fault for the 3rd goal.  As DMAA said, Tavernier not only provided the assist for our goal last night but also created our best chance of the game.  He also did nothing wrong defensively.

I don't mind you wanting Polster to replace Tavernier... but in this thread, with regards to Tavernier's performance last night, given the mistakes the replacement you want made.... nope, on last night's showings it makes very little sense.

Tavernier deserves his fair share of criticism this season, absolutely.  But for his performance last night ?  Absolutely not.

Actually, it is you who unnecessarily try to break a lance for Tavernier. You seemingly put one error of Polster (who had 9 mins of football last night) under the microscope (Tav had Bailey for 23 mins, BTW), stick to that one game he had last night and try to balance that. A bit strange when I clearly pointed out that Tav has cost us for the best part of 2 seasons AND what I am saying is that I do not regard him as the integral figure for this Rangers side that others think he is. Polster gets a cameo role and a half and gets slaughtered though. Find the error.

As for Scottish game and tactics ... each to his own and when you think that the way we play these last two seasons in Scotland with SG's tactics - winning exactly nothing and toiling through games - isn't worthy of debate or criticism, so be it. Pedro got it in the neck big time, yet he had worse players and was virtually a no-name for any of us. A sitting duck. But at the end of the day, so far SG has won us nothing. Let this sink in. It is just a fact and I'm not blind in saying that nothing has changed under him anywhere else bar the pitch. And I sure don't need any lecture about being fickle or don't having any patience. For what I see is that we actually had and have the personnell to raise a challenge, but underuse the squad and likewise do not adapt when things go awry. Or maybe we did adapt and I just failed to notice? Well, I think not.

Edited by der Berliner

10 hours ago, craig said:

I would argue that the teams we have played in Europe have actually come out to play against us, which helps us.  We have dominated Celtic in 5 of the last 6 OF games.... they come out and play against us..... everyone else sits in and parks the bus.  It isn't that they aren't good enough, it is that we haven't found a solution to the teams that park the bus.

No! If we can't break teams down teams that have inferior players then we are not good enough. Look at the top teams, Liverpool, Man City, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, They face brick wall defences regularly and win. Dare I say Celtic manage it in Scotland too ?. The solution is to play better with better players.