[FT] Rangers 1 - 3 Bayer Leverkusen (Edmundson 75)

I think we'd be better at breaking down these brick walls if we didn't play a No.10 in a wide position, didn't spend £7m on a player who rarely provides assists, despite that being his primary role and didn't persist with a formation that the opposition can read like a book.

13 minutes ago, les186 said:

The solution is to play better with better players

Not much wrong with most of the players as seen by early season results.

Since winter break we seem to have lost the quick incisive movement we had and are now playing more sideway passes trying to invite opposition to come out from their shell and thus don't have the same momentum/ability to make speedy movement so we resort to long high balls which are easy meat to defences.

1 minute ago, MacK1950 said:

Not much wrong with most of the players as seen by early season results.

Since winter break we seem to have lost the quick incisive movement we had and are now playing more sideway passes trying to invite opposition to come out from their shell and thus don't have the same momentum/ability to make speedy movement so we resort to long high balls which are easy meat to defences.

But these players are not doing it now. Why is that? My laboured point is that they are not good enough to sustain good form.

27 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think we'd be better at breaking down these brick walls if we didn't play a No.10 in a wide position, didn't spend £7m on a player who rarely provides assists, despite that being his primary role and didn't persist with a formation that the opposition can read like a book.

That blames the manager and the coaching team. SG definitely pushed to sign Ryan Kent who has not lived up to expectations.

9 minutes ago, les186 said:

But these players are not doing it now. Why is that? My laboured point is that they are not good enough to sustain good form.

IMO tactics being used now are what they are being asked/told to do it seems to be zonal than free flowing and completely understand your point.

11 minutes ago, les186 said:

That blames the manager and the coaching team.

I do to a large extent.  They bought the bulk of the current starting line up.

I'd keep SG on for now but mainly because I see no good alternatives.  

11 hours ago, les186 said:

No! If we can't break teams down teams that have inferior players then we are not good enough. Look at the top teams, Liverpool, Man City, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, They face brick wall defences regularly and win. Dare I say Celtic manage it in Scotland too ?. The solution is to play better with better players.

I think not. The way the Scottennaccio has been developed in the last few years is quite special. I have yet to see a BL game where they put 8 to 9 players behind the ball on a regular basis.

We toiled somewhat before the break, as probably any team would against those tactics. But we totally lost our pressing and quick passing game, quick thinking and/or the ability to take quick passes on in 2020. Picking the same players time and again did not help.

I would assume that guys like Hagi, Stewart, Kamberi, Morelos and Aribo work on a same wave-lengths, with Kent and Jones able to press and be ready for quick attacks. Yet we nigh always go with 2 DMs/CMs and a sole striker who is accomapnied by one guy who needs space to work with and one other shoe-horned into an unfamiliar role. The results speak for themselves.

Edited by der Berliner

12 hours ago, les186 said:

That blames the manager and the coaching team. SG definitely pushed to sign Ryan Kent who has not lived up to expectations.

Those expectations were never warranted so the buck still stops with the manager there. 

9 hours ago, der Berliner said:

We toiled somewhat before the break, as probably any team would against those tactics. But we totally lost our pressing and quick passing game, quick thinking and/or the ability to take quick passes on in 2020. Picking the same players time and again did not help.

Are you saying Liverpool would struggle to see off Hamilton, Ross County, St Mirren etc?

36 minutes ago, les186 said:

Are you saying Liverpool would struggle to see off Hamilton, Ross County, St Mirren etc?

I say that these tactics will see teams struggle over the course of the season, not exactly Liverpool against Hamilton.