All Rangers domestic fixtures likely to be postponed from this Monday

7 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Rotten luck for Dundee United

If Celtc don't get the title and Dundee Utd stay down, I will be overjoyed.

The legalities will be complex and unprecedented, particularly regarding relegation and promotion.   I'd imagine that if there's a big decision made, the situation would last months or years to conclude.

Edited by Gonzo79

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

That's a bit dramatic.  I've heard the government say repeatedly that there is very little risk if you're attending large sporting events.  The only reason they want to stop them is because they require police, ambulance and other resources to be on site as standard, and they'd rather not have them used like this for now.

Like everyone on here, I'd find it hilarious if Celtic were denied their title, but they do deserve it.  We are not even close to them at the moment so I don't have a problem if they're awarded it before the split takes place.  As I've said though, it would be great fun if they didn't.

You are correct, they do deserve all the hilarity. ? 

37 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

If Celtc don't get the title and Dundee Utd stay down, I will be overjoyed.

The legalities will be complex and unprecedented, particularly regarding relegation and promotion.   I'd imagine that if there's a big decision made, the situation would last months or years to conclude.

The melt down would be a joy to behold if this happened. I seen a suggestion on Twitter though, why not just cancel the league this season, use the remaining time to reform the league to 14 or 16 teams, would that not make sense. 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Okay, cancelling gatherings of 500 or more isn't because of the danger the gatherings themselves bring for those present, it's to ease the burden on police and ambulance/hospital staff required to attend or deal with these events. While I'd have postponed all 500 plus gatherings before now I think it's unwise to shout conspiracy about it. Whatever your views on politicians let's give them the benefit of the doubt that they're following the best advice, rightly or wrongly. We're looking at 4 to 12 weeks of major disruption, almost certainly many of us will lose people we love in the coming weeks, perhaps this isn't the time for political point scoring. 

My view is that the 500 rule should have been adopted immediately. I know that would have had an impact on last night and Sunday, but people's health has to come first.

I didn't go last night because of the risks. I suffer from asthma. I will be taking my very elderly mum to the supermarket at the weekend. My asthma was also quite bad yesterday and I was coughing a lot and thought it would be inconsiderate to go along and cough and potentially cause others some worry because of it.

I'm still undecided about Sunday but veering towards not going. If I remain healthy then there will be plenty more in the future.

Apart from the fact that teams have to play all 38 league games to determine who finishes where according to the SPFL rules, methinks, the valid point remains that while the Premiership seems to be decided, relegation and promotion in all other SPFL leagues are not. You can`t have one rule for one club and different rule for others. And I would assume that all clubs in the 2nd to 4th tier will go bananas if the decide current league standings are final ... while they are only a point or so away from title glory or safety.

My suspension idea above was not taken from anywhere, just in opposition to handing anyone titles "just because". Suspend the league for a couple of months (i.e. essentially 2-4 weeks off for the players), get back with 2 games per week after that, scrap the Euros and come up with a decent plan for any UEFA club competitions after that. Why can´t they play "summer football" in Scotland? At least if need be?

There is a lot of panic and a lot of misinformation at the moment.  I've found that very little makes sense to me, as much of the guidance appears contradictory.  I started to look into this for myself rather than relying on politicians, newspapers and others.  It's now starting to make more sense and this is what I've found out.:

-  The main reason it is regarded as being more serious is because of the transmission rates.  For normal flu it's around 1.6 people being infected by each previously affected person, whereas its 2.4 for this one.  That is actually a big difference, but makes sense why it really doesn't matter if we have large football stadiums.  Even if 10 people are infected it means only 24 others will be, regardless of the size of crowd.

- The virus is not dangerous to the vast majority of people, and in fact in itself it will be unlikely to kill anyone.  The reason the NHS is concerned is because it affects the breathing in some people.  As there are many people with heart conditions, high blood pressure and obesity, it is likely that they will require additional respiratory support and with these being in limited supply it is this lack of supply that will result in deaths, not the virus.  Apparently there are also drugs that can help with respiratory problems, but they are not manufactured in enough quantity to support this spike in demand.

-  It is NOT seasonal.  In other words, it is unlikely to be killed in the summer.  This means that all such stories suggesting it will disappear in the next few weeks are nonsense.

-  It is not yet clear if the same person can catch it twice.  There is strong evidence from previous coronavirus outbreaks that our bodies build a defence to prevent it but there's no guarantee this strain is the same.  Then again, there's no guarantee it won't.

-  The reason China has had such a high death rate (3%) is because there is a high majority of people who smoke there.  Apparently it's the same in Italy where approximately 60% of people smoke.  I had no idea it was so high.  Again this is the reason why children are largely unaffected.  Unless they have an underlying health problem, most will not even know they have it.  It's the respiratory problems that kill people, or make them very unwell.

- International travel makes no difference at all.  The experts predict it's already in every country now anyway so it makes no difference.  Couple this with the fact that transmission is only likely to be 2.4 further people, it's very low risk of this making it worse than remaining in your own country.

- This works like all other airborne viruses so face masks will not work.  The funny thing is that washing hands is not nearly as effective as I thought it would be.  As it's airborne you can wash your hands as much as you want but it will do only a little to reduce your chances apparently. Remaining isolated will stop you from getting it, but of course if we all do that there will be other problems when the country grinds to a halt.  I suppose that's the balance the experts are wrestling with.

I've got my own conclusions and recommendations based on what I've found out but didn't want to mix facts with opinions on this particular post.  I just wanted to share the facts with my fellow Gersnetters.

What this does suggest is that we need to create a new operating model that works.  Delaying matches is not the answer because this will not go away anytime soon.  Equally, banning large gatherings is not the answer either.  I don't know what the answers are but at least now I feel I understand the problem better.  I hope this helps you too.

Edited by Gaffer

Im sorry Gaffer, but you contradict yourself a little here. 

Just your own conclusions and  recommendations based on true facts.. sorry but how can you claim its not seasonal for example. Or the 2.4 claim is accurate?

A lot ot your "facts" are no such thing.

I think it would help everyone if people stopped saying there personal views and opinions and stopped with the armchair biologist hat. 

3 minutes ago, blueflag said:

Im sorry Gaffer, but you contradict yourself a little here. 

Just your own conclusions and  recommendations based on true facts.. sorry but how can you claim its not seasonal for example. Or the 2.4 claim is accurate?

A lot ot your "facts" are no such thing.

I think it would help everyone if people stopped saying there personal views and opinions and stopped with the armchair biologist hat. 

There's actually a lot of information out there on coronaviruses if you care to look.  Rather than suggesting that I'm contradicting myself, or claiming the facts are false, or calling me an "armchair biologist", maybe spend a bit of time looking into it yourself.  I thought this helped, but if not, feel free to delete my post.  I won't post anything further on the matter.

11 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

There's actually a lot of information out there on coronaviruses if you care to look.  Rather than suggesting that I'm contradicting myself, or claiming the facts are false, or calling me an "armchair biologist", maybe spend a bit of time looking into it yourself.  I thought this helped, but if not, feel free to delete my post.  I won't post anything further on the matter.

A lot ot presumtions that i am clueless my friend..

I wont delete anything, i just pointing out your opinion , like most others , is exactly that.. your opinion