SPFL Season declaration challenged legally (ongoing discussion)

3 minutes ago, barca72 said:

Do you think they will pay out next season if the leagues don't attempt some kind of compromise?

I think it's a bit early to start guessing what will happen. 

4 minutes ago, barca72 said:

Hard times all round.

Agreed.

1 minute ago, RANGERRAB said:

But would you pay for something you never got?

A lot of season ticket holders will be asking the same question.  

Bill and RangersSyntax have mentioned Force Majeure.

23 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

A lot of season ticket holders will be asking the same question.  

Bill and RangersSyntax have mentioned Force Majeure.

I expect there will be a vis major clause, but although it removes or reduces liability, I still can't see it resulting in the clubs being paid in full.  The clause isn't used for this purpose so I doubt it applies.

I think you're right that many season ticket holders will, however I expect many others will not claim compensations or refunds, recognising the damage it will do to the club.  Certainly @compo is understandably looking for something, given the number of tickets he has paid for.

I think the TV companies will try to be seen to be helpful but if I'm a shareholder of those companies, I'd expect the management team to recover costs or establish some sort of future value.  Either way, the clubs will have to pay for this, especially in England.

The panic created at the moment has far more serious consequences than its impact on football clubs but since this is our Rangers forum it makes sense to discuss the possible impacts on our club.  Providing the majority of ST holders don't expect much of a refund, I think we should be in a decent position.  I read somewhere (maybe in last year's annual report?) that the cost of matchdays meant that our gate receipts were almost all swallowed up by those costs.  If that's still the case then we should not be impacted so much by the loss of games.  Our income would be zero but the matchday costs are zero too.  It'll be sponsorship commitments that will be damaged so again it's down to our contracts with them.  Up to now our ability to have decent contracts is in question so that might be a problem.

The most immediate battle however is ensuring that the east end mob don't get away with stealing this title.

p.s.  I understand that the expectation of this virus is that it will continue for the next year infecting around 10-15% of the population.  I know the chief medic and adviser had hoped it was a winter virus but if this continues into the summer and beyond, as experts are now claiming it will, and players are included in that, I can't see how we will have any meaningful league next season either.  That's disastrous for football, and even worse for the wider economy.

Edited by Gaffer

Gerrard won't come out in favour of a null and void season because he wouldn't want it to happen in England due to his beloved Liverpool and it'll harm "brand Gerrard" as he'd be accused of being a bad loser.

12 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Gerrard won't come out in favour of a null and void season because he wouldn't want it to happen in England due to his beloved Liverpool and it'll harm "brand Gerrard" as he'd be accused of being a bad loser.

I think it's best for Gerrard to remain neutral.  Let the likes of Lennon and Brown demonstrate their lack of dignity, as expected. 

If the title is given to Celtc, then the club should act accordingly. 

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think it's best for Gerrard to remain neutral.  Let the likes of Lennon and Brown demonstrate their lack of dignity, as expected. 

If the title is given to Celtc, then the club should act accordingly. 

It's too late at that point, not withstanding your point.

Coming out and complaining afterwards also has a lack of dignity.

We either lose our dignity or Celtic get awarded the league.