SPFL Season declaration challenged legally (ongoing discussion)

From a purely Rangers point of view, at least the season will now be able to start next weekend but the entire affair has to be seen as a triumph for the SPFL. They've ridden roughshod over any last vestige of fair play that still lurked in Scottish football, served the interests of Celtic as they are obliged to do and served a harsh lesson to any other clubs who might think about challenging their right to ensure continued success for the One Club. I imagine Neil Doncaster will hand over the reins to his chosen successor over the next few months and the impression will be cultivated of a fresh start for all, while ensuring nothing changes at all.

I don't think Scottish society has ever been better represented by its football bodies. Shit will always be appropriate in a shithole.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

I imagine Neil Doncaster will hand over the reins to his chosen successor over the next few months and the impression will be cultivated of a fresh start for all, while ensuring nothing changes at all

I predicted that after the initial vote.  

Will our board do much about it?

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

Nope

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Could be wrong but I think this would only have gone back to court if the arbitration panel couldn't come to a decision.

You may be right, and inability to reach a decision would, I imagine,  require referral to the Courts (or abandonment of the case).

However if there was a clear legal mistake or misconstruction on the part of the panel, or there was evidence that a witness, or witnesses, had been economical with the truth, then I do think that this would give cause to have the matter heard before the Bench. 

Ultimately, who knows? Lawyers that's who.

I think that there is a tendency, among ourselves, to conflate the Rangers' case v SPFL, as elaborated in the published dossier, and the case(s) of Hertz and the Jags. Yet, if we think about it, the Rangers position was about prosecuting abject  failure in corporate governance, while the H/J pursued reversal of unjustified relegation. Now while there may be overlaps, and H/J may have used certain evidence from the dossier, their focus would have been on the specific matter of relegation, and I think it likely that they would not have broadened their case to include the whole area of corporate mis-governance/malfeasance/maladministration, etc. The time constraint under which all operated itself would have required this, anyway. It seems, to me, for example, that there would have been a need to collect sworn depositions from many people, re: the bullying and extortion. If they concentrated -understandably and necessarily- on their narrow interests they may have done themselves no favours. 

In short, it may just be that H/J fucked up. 

Hearts / Thistle statement below -Looks like they've  thrown the towel in? 

Response to Scottish FA Article 99 Arbitration: Determination – 27.07.20
Arbitral Tribunal:
“The tribunal appointed in terms of Scottish Football Association Article 99 issued its decision today. It unanimously held that the challenges to the Written Resolution of 15 April 2020 failed, and that the SPFL were entitled to pass, and give effect to, the Written Resolution and all that flowed from it. Accordingly it refused to grant any of the orders sought by Heart of Midlothian FC and Partick Thistle FC and continued the arbitration for submissions about expenses.”

Joint Statement by Heart of Midlothian FC and Partick Thistle FC:
“As all Parties have been requested not to comment on the tribunal’s decision or reveal details of the hearings on the grounds of confidentiality, all we can only say is how disappointed and surprised we are at the outcome.
“We don’t regret taking this action as it was the right thing for us to do. There were better ways to deal with ending the season, fairer ways other than putting the burden of a pandemic on to three clubs.”

The Hertz and the Jags they say:

Response to Scottish FA Article 99 Arbitration: Determination – 27.07.20

Arbitral Tribunal:

“The tribunal appointed in terms of Scottish Football Association Article 99 issued its decision today. It unanimously held that the challenges to the Written Resolution of 15 April 2020 failed, and that the SPFL were entitled to pass, and give effect to, the Written Resolution and all that flowed from it. Accordingly it refused to grant any of the orders sought by Heart of Midlothian FC and Partick Thistle FC and continued the arbitration for submissions about expenses.”

Joint Statement by Heart of Midlothian FC and Partick Thistle FC:

“As all Parties have been requested not to comment on the tribunal’s decision or reveal details of the hearings on the grounds of confidentiality, all we can only say is how disappointed and surprised we are at the outcome.

“We don’t regret taking this action as it was the right thing for us to do. There were better ways to deal with ending the season, fairer ways other than putting the burden of a pandemic on to three clubs.”

39 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

"As all Parties have been requested not to comment on the tribunal’s decision or reveal details of the hearings on the grounds of confidentiality ...."

So we'll never know. Even if the tribunal panel stood up and said "since the three of us are all Celtic fans, you two clubs can just fuck off", we'll never know.

31 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Looks like we're back to square one.

Terrific.  ?

Worse than that. It looks as if they’ve cashed in what chips they had left.

Not Rangers’ fight so I don’t expect them to do anything.

Harry Wragg sez more:

Message to the Partick Thistle Family

Monday 27th July, 2020 at 5:20pm

The last four months have been an emotional rollercoaster for all of us who are part of the Partick Thistle family. No one expected a pandemic on the scale that hit the country in March. It’s been difficult at times to feel that football was important in the face of so much loss.

But we could not ignore what was happening. Relegation isn’t just about what league you play in. It’s about everyone who plays for us, the staff who work at the club, our partners and sponsors, volunteers and, most importantly, our fans. With a 144-year history, we had a responsibility to ensure that if there was a chance to overturn an unfair situation, we had to do all we could.

At every turn, we tried our best to get involved positively to ensure that no club would be left worse off as a result of an early end to the season. We tried to find a way through by making our views clear but decently and respectfully. Having exhausted every avenue, when we were presented with the opportunity to join with Hearts to fight this injustice, at no cost to the club, we took it. But it was not to be.

So we draw a line, we have taken the fight to its conclusion. Our sole focus and our energy is now on the season ahead. Our key word for the year ahead is “success” not “survival”. The Board has already approved a financially responsible and balanced budget for season 2020/21 that gives the manager what he asked for to achieve everyone’s desire for an immediate return to the Championship. The fightback has started.

But I ask everyone associated with Thistle to never forget today. To never forget how it feels to be relegated unfairly. To never forget that there are many good decent people and clubs in Scotland who stood with us, publicly and privately – but there are some whose fear and self-interest got in the way of doing the right thing.

The Board, CEO and I are grateful for the unwavering support as we have navigated our way through this crisis. This is now a defining moment in our history, it’s time to stand together and make season 2020/21 a winning one regardless of what the rest of football says or does.

We have every right to be angry. So let’s use that anger as the fuel that drives our campaign in 2020/21. This is now about Thistle, no one else. Our fate and our success once again lies in our own hands and our hands only.

Jacqui Low, Chairman, Partick Thistle FC.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/message-to-the-partick-thistle-family/