SPFL Season declaration challenged legally (ongoing discussion)

If they can award the title then they have to stick by the relegation. Hearts have to go down despite it being wrong. Its Partick I feel for. They are a point behind with a game in hand - that is criminal.

I just dont see how they wont drop from 4 divisions to 3.

I think a 12-16-16 would work well. Promote Brora and Kelty.

42 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Well, coming to think of it, one of the main reasons for teams outwidth any league issues (titles, promotion, relegation) to vote for an end of the season could very well have been the simple fact that they are now able to shed 50+ % of their teams and have no need to sign up any replacements instantly, thus no need of paying wages. If that can be proven, the PFA should be up in arms as dozens of players will be end up "unemployed" for a few months in a simple cost-cutting excercise by clubs that just got money from the SPFL.

Obviously, 8 out of 12 teams use loan players and freebies for the best part of the 10 years anyway, but keeping the season going would have meant that they probably had to keep them on till the end of the campaign.

They cant just get rid of players right now though - their contracts will have defined dates, so the clubs will still have to pay them to the end of the contract, unless mutually agreed.  The vast majority of both players and clubs wont be affected as they more than likely furloughed their players.

19 minutes ago, Gribz said:

If they can award the title then they have to stick by the relegation. Hearts have to go down despite it being wrong. Its Partick I feel for. They are a point behind with a game in hand - that is criminal.

I just dont see how they wont drop from 4 divisions to 3.

I think a 12-16-16 would work well. Promote Brora and Kelty.

I agree with larger divisions, but Scottish football needs fewer teams, not more.

We have a population of circa 6 million and 42 "professional clubs".... England has a population of circa 60 million and has 92 professional clubs.  Extrapolating our population to England's and the number of clubs we would have 420 professional clubs for the same number of populace.... and then we wonder why average crowds are lower than 1,000 in most stadiums.....

1 hour ago, craig said:

They cant just get rid of players right now though - their contracts will have defined dates, so the clubs will still have to pay them to the end of the contract, unless mutually agreed.  The vast majority of both players and clubs wont be affected as they more than likely furloughed their players.

Well, if the contract is up on 30th of May it is up, isn't it? It might have been different if the season was to be extended and deals might have been extended too, but as it stands, who would stop them just not extending any deals that are up?

Edited by der Berliner

2 hours ago, craig said:

I agree with larger divisions, but Scottish football needs fewer teams, not more.

We have a population of circa 6 million and 42 "professional clubs".... England has a population of circa 60 million and has 92 professional clubs.  Extrapolating our population to England's and the number of clubs we would have 420 professional clubs for the same number of populace.... and then we wonder why average crowds are lower than 1,000 in most stadiums.....

Yeah see what you are saying mate. Absolutely agreed before. But its about how many are professional full time. But we should be looking to enhance clubs now, give them an ambition and not put walls up like the stadia criteria (to an extent).

Also about running things. If you have 19 properties its difficult to manage (you probably have about 15 haha), but if you have 3 big ones then perhaps its managed better - do you see my line of thinking there? (sorry typing on phone right now as out shopping).

29 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Yeah see what you are saying mate. Absolutely agreed before. But its about how many are professional full time. But we should be looking to enhance clubs now, give them an ambition and not put walls up like the stadia criteria (to an extent).

Also about running things. If you have 19 properties its difficult to manage (you probably have about 15 haha), but if you have 3 big ones then perhaps its managed better - do you see my line of thinking there? (sorry typing on phone right now as out shopping).

I see your line of thinking - I am down to 10 properties plus 4 castles Gribz :roflmao:

One of the issues with so many clubs for such a small population is that the fans are much more spread out, simplistically speaking.  

To be fair, when using those statistics, if we extrapolated England's numbers to Scotland we should have 9 clubs - which also makes no sense.  There should be a happy medium.  I'm not sure there is a silver bullet but I would go for bigger league sizes but fewer of them  In Scotland nobody cares beyond the Premier league - so why not just have two divisions of 16 but then you have regionals below that ,allowing lowland/highland/junior teams the opportunity of stepping up amongst the big boys - some of the juniors are better run and better clubs than some of the pro clubs we have.

I admit that only two divisions may also see clubs merely treading water - but they do that anyway in many cases.

50 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Well, if the contract is up on 30th of May it is up, isn't it? It might have been different if the season was to be extended and deals might have been extended too, but as it stands, who would stop them just not extending any deals that are up?

That being the case the PFA will have no grounds to get upset then, which you mentioned in your previous post.  If contracts are up then the clubs have no obligation to renew.

1 hour ago, craig said:

I see your line of thinking - I am down to 10 properties plus 4 castles Gribz :roflmao:

One of the issues with so many clubs for such a small population is that the fans are much more spread out, simplistically speaking.  

To be fair, when using those statistics, if we extrapolated England's numbers to Scotland we should have 9 clubs - which also makes no sense.  There should be a happy medium.  I'm not sure there is a silver bullet but I would go for bigger league sizes but fewer of them  In Scotland nobody cares beyond the Premier league - so why not just have two divisions of 16 but then you have regionals below that ,allowing lowland/highland/junior teams the opportunity of stepping up amongst the big boys - some of the juniors are better run and better clubs than some of the pro clubs we have.

I admit that only two divisions may also see clubs merely treading water - but they do that anyway in many cases.

Haha lockdown is over here mate. Bars are open - when can I expect you?

I think we are talking from the same sheet but variations. But try tell the lowland league / Junior teams your thought. Im well for the english style. Your probably right that some juniors are ran better - so the pyramid structure has to be there - if your a chairman of a lowland team wouldnt that entice you to be only a few years away from playing the top sides? Thats where i see it from mate.

Bedroom set aside for you in Dubai anytime by the way.

1 hour ago, Gribz said:

Haha lockdown is over here mate. Bars are open - when can I expect you?

I think we are talking from the same sheet but variations. But try tell the lowland league / Junior teams your thought. Im well for the english style. Your probably right that some juniors are ran better - so the pyramid structure has to be there - if your a chairman of a lowland team wouldnt that entice you to be only a few years away from playing the top sides? Thats where i see it from mate.

Bedroom set aside for you in Dubai anytime by the way.

I might have to take you up on that offer Gribz - always fancied Dubai ??