Rangers appoint DUP councillor as Head of Communications and Media Relations

John I understand your concerns about it but I don't think rangers need to be building any bridges, we have seen over the last 8 years how many clubs aren't willing to build bridges and kick us when we are down, actually in the current climate I hope a few of them go to the wall. The appointment does fee like we are going on the offensive a bit, which is good because I feel we have been passive for to long. Not knowing much about him other than what I have read and hear on HH podcasts we will see how he goes. 

Look, let me be clear, I have nothing against David Graham and genuinely wish him every success in the new role, and I mean that. If my comments on this thread have been read as criticism of him then let me apologise and clarify. This is a messageboard for fans to get things off their chest and waste some time, I'm under no illusions at all that I have any influence, nor do I want any. I, perhaps mistakenly, view this is place as a chat among friends (or at least acquaintances). 

I think Rangers PR strategy has been flawed for a long time and I'm not convinced our PR strategy is changing in the direction I think it should. I expect the head of PR or Communications (or whatever the title is) will have input into our strategy but ultimately it'll be decided by our board and they'll be tasked with delivering it. For that reason I think David Graham has been chosen because the board feel he'll be good at delivering the strategy they've decided on. So, to be clear, it's the strategy, not the individual, I have issue with. 

As I've said in both posts before this one I expect the strategy will be popular with a good percentage of the support. The replies on this thread already testify to that. No one likes us, we don't care, is, for me, a terrible PR strategy, but it's what I think we're going for. I could be wrong, I'm simply guessing like everyone else. 

Again, I genuinely wish David Graham all the best. 

15 hours ago, Dave M609 said:

John I understand your concerns about it but I don't think rangers need to be building any bridges, we have seen over the last 8 years how many clubs aren't willing to build bridges and kick us when we are down, actually in the current climate I hope a few of them go to the wall. The appointment does fee like we are going on the offensive a bit, which is good because I feel we have been passive for to long. Not knowing much about him other than what I have read and hear on HH podcasts we will see how he goes. 

I don't see the PR function being used for building bridges with other clubs. That's done at Director and coach/manager level, and if we wanted to do that we could with the people we've got now. The PR function can be used to build bridges, or at least influence, with media, politicians, supporters, local community, UEFA and other groups and organisations with the ability to help the club. But, as Frankie, and others, have eloquently explained, there's not much appetite for that among a good percentage of the support. This is not the first time I've held an unpopular opinion on Gersnet!! 

1 minute ago, JohnMc said:

Look, let me be clear, I have nothing against David Graham and genuinely wish him every success in the new role, and I mean that. If my comments on this thread have been read as criticism of him then let me apologise and clarify. This is a messageboard for fans to get things off their chest and waste some time, I'm under no illusions at all that I have any influence, nor do I want any. I, perhaps mistakenly, view this is place as a chat among friends (or at least acquaintances). 

I think Rangers PR strategy has been flawed for a long time and I'm not convinced our PR strategy is changing in the direction I think it should. I expect the head of PR or Communications (or whatever the title is) will have input into our strategy but ultimately it'll be decided by our board and they'll be tasked with delivering it. For that reason I think David Graham has been chosen because the board feel he'll be good at delivering the strategy they've decided on. So, to be clear, it's the strategy, not the individual, I have issue with. 

As I've said in both posts before this one I expect the strategy will be popular with a good percentage of the support. The replies on this thread already testify to that. No one likes us, we don't care, is, for me, a terrible PR strategy, but it's what I think we're going for. I could be wrong, I'm simply guessing like everyone else. 

I don't think that will necessarily be the strategy at all and, with the greatest of respect (and I respect your opinion more than most), I think you're making unfair assumptions based on the guy's background.

I think we all wanted a change from Traynor and the baggage he undoubtedly brought.  And, to a certain extent, I agree with you that moving from him to a former DUP councillor is hardly something that was going to be ignored or applauded by those that scrutinise our club on a daily basis.  I'm also to be convinced that the guy has the relevant experience and gravitas for the job.  It's fair to say I'm sceptical. 

However, it's also fair to say the guy speaks well whenever I've heard him and certainly doesn't come across as the bigot some are inferring. I'd also argue that just because he's clearly a fan and from a loyalist background, he's automatically going to yield to the hardliners in our support.  Perhaps his life experiences may make him more inclined to be inclusive or to understand one-sided politics don't work?  Certainly he'll understand what's it's like to be in the trenches and that's where our club have been for the better part of 10 years.

Right now, we just don't know how good he's going to be so, whilst it's entirely fair to speculate on a forum such as this, the reaction to his appointment tells its own story in terms of where bridges cannot be built; no matter the builder.

28 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Your expectations and base of your argument are completely wrong 

You’ve come to a conclusion and stand point because you think something will happen and be our strategy 

Well it isn’t and you are wrong 

44 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Out of interest, what do you think our PR strategy should be and how do you think it should be delivered?

On 17/03/2020 at 14:33, JohnMc said:

Appointing someone with this background suggests to me this is a war footing. It signals no attempt is being made to speak to anyone but our own support, and even then perhaps not all of them. I suspect that will be popular with a number of vocal and influential supporters. With a share offer mooted it probably makes sense to to keep the support largely onside and encourage a siege mentality. 

For me though this smacks of short-termism and will not address the very real PR issues we have as a club. 

At board level, I think unsurprisingly the biggest current issue is finance.

On the face of it, I´d agree regards the appointment being made in an effort to foster seige mentality with ST renewals in mind.

Five years ago was the time to start building at least some bridges but when Paul Murray talked of this it was loudly dismissed by a largely angry support. Ever since we´ve been going one way into a lonely corner with a political situation that has put the tin lid on it. 

I agree with pretty much all you say about David Graham.

I hope he´s a miracle worker at what he´s been hired to do, he´ll need to be very good just to PR himself into a position where he starts actually working for the club. Good luck to him.

For years now, my impression has been  that a lot of the attitude you see in social media from our support is taking us to a place where our enemy are happy to see us to go. The board have to a degree, been riding on this wave. In the short to medium term it´s helped with finance and if we win the League title next season then, no problem....war footing but happy....the potentially BIG problem is if we don´t.

Edited by buster.