Rangers appoint DUP councillor as Head of Communications and Media Relations

6 hours ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

I want our club to be all inclusive and IMO being a member of the OO does not go hand in hand with that message or idealogoy. 

As for Steven Gerrard he has spoken out in regards to fan behaviour this season and has made it known that  certain songs and ideas are not welcome. Songs which stem from the OO culture. 

IMO if the club chooses to hire a member of the OO then an element of our support will see this an excuse to continue singing certain songs and in turn will bring more Uefa sanctions. 

So you want to exclude members of the OO from your all inclusive policy?  Bit of a contradiction there. 

It could be argued that the songs are from a loyalist culture. What's next?  Should all loyalist/unionist/Protestants be banned from being employed by our club? 

As for the songs. We've heard them sung at away Euro games when Graham wasn't employed so it's really good nothing to do with him. 

I thought we'd got past worrying about people's religious beliefs as to whether they should be employed by us but obviously not. 

7 hours ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Steven Gerrard has made it known that  certain songs and ideas are not welcome.

What ideas has Gerrard said are unwelcome?

That comment is veering towards Thought Police mindset, which says a lot.

Let me be clear to everyone above. 

I am not blaming the OO for everything.

What I am saying is that in a time where we are trying to promote ourselves as an all inclusive club - hiring a head of PR who is a member of such an organisation - in my mind and many others is a PR own goal. 

16 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Let me be clear to everyone above. 

I am not blaming the OO for everything.

What I am saying is that in a time where we are trying to promote ourselves as an all inclusive club - hiring a head of PR who is a member of such an organisation - in my mind and many others is a PR own goal. 

Everyone, Anyone, er, except those of you in the Orange Order or the Democratic Unionist Party.

Your whole argument is an own goal!

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in some of the posts on this thread. 

It's safe to say the appointment is splitting the fans to a degree, certainly not 50/50, but enough for it to be well worth noting, especially when the concern is coming from fans I'd consider sensible. 

Now, if people want this thread to stay open, please post constructively and without insult. 

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

So you want to exclude members of the OO from your all inclusive policy?  Bit of a contradiction there.   

On the face of it, yes... but I don´t think this logic applies here.

It´s more about perceptions within the environment we are looking to effect.

Both directly who we need to deal with and how they use it...and indirectly to the interested onlookers.

Generally speaking, PR/Spin is very often only loosely and selectively associated with facts / logic. 

As I´ve already posted on this thread, I think the current situation that nearly all are going to suffer badly from could become a gamechanger in just about everything and PR would be the least of our worries.

For boardrooms, it´s now about looking at things from a different perspective and trying to act to mitigate damage / push for or take new opportunities. Wrt to this topic...eg. the dispute with the BBC: Go and have a sit down looking to and for some compromise...New era, set examples. It´s a time to be less confrontational and just get it done.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

So you're saying we should play nice, buster?  

Isn't that exactly what we've been doing, with nothing changing and the situation arguably getting worse?

Not really, it´s more about playing clever.

Generally, that´s not something we´ve been doing.

Edited by buster.

So what we have is a new member of the Ibrox staff is in the orange order what if he was in the buffs or the Hibernian's the Mason s or the rotary club what difference does it make thank goodness we didn't have social media when Mo signed. 

Give the new man a chance  .