Stuart Gibson to become new Rangers chair/majority shareholder?

Daily Record reporting that the Asian based businessman will be completing a deal over the new few weeks to become one of (or the) largest shareholder in the club.

Unclear whether he or someone of his choice will then become chairman when Dave King steps down imminently. 

More info on Stuart and his Hong Kong real estate company here:

https://www.esr.com/en/about_senior_detail.php?id=1&item=0

• Frankie changed the title to Stuart Gibson to become new Rangers chair/majority shareholder?

For what it is worth, here, below, is the Dhaily Rhabble 'story'.

He is a mogul; he lives and works in  the Far East; he has wealth; he is a lifelong Rangers' supporter.

He is not boss-eyed. 

Rangers mystery investor revealed as real estate mogul Stuart Gibson

The Japan-based businessman was in Glasgow last week to meet the current Ibrox regime as Dave King prepares to step down.

Keith Jackson

23:15, 16 MAR 2020

UPDATED08:17, 17 MAR 2020

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-mystery-investor-revealed-real-21703185

0_senior_img2JPG.jpg

Property funding expert Stuart Gibson is on the verge of ploughing millions into Rangers and becoming the most influential figurehead in the Ibrox boardroom.

Record Sport can reveal the Japan-based businessman was in Glasgow last week to meet with the current regime as he edges closer to completing a deal which will see Dave King step away from his position as chairman.

Paisley born Gibson has made his fortune in the Far East since moving there in 1999 and his real estate company ESR boasts of having more than £1.5billion worth of assets under its management.

It’s understood the life-long Rangers supporter was initially attracted to the idea of investing in the club around six months ago after discussions with current director George Taylor, a senior investment banker with Morgan Stanley, based in Hong Kong.

Gibson has secretly attended a number of games during that time including a Betfred Cup semi final win over Hearts in November and the defeat to Celtic in December’s final.

Gibson had also planned to be at Ibrox for Sunday’s Old Firm derby before it was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It’s understood Gibson is set to bankroll the club as part of a new £20m investment which will secure Rangers finances in the short to medium term.

But it’s anticipated Gibson will then go a stage further by buying up King’s share holding - and becoming the key player behind the scenes.

A close source said: “Stuart is extremely excited about this opportunity because he’s been a massive Rangers supporter his whole life.

“He met George Taylor as part of a business deal and it was during those discussions that the idea was planted. The talks became very serious form that moment and now it looks as if the deal could be announced very shortly.”

Gibson is the co-founder and joint chief executive of e-Shang Redwood or ESR, a Hong Kong-based property development group.

In the last month he launched a £200m plan to build the largest goods distribution centre in Nagoya, Japan’s fourth largest city.

In March last year, it was announced that ESR has acquired a parcel of land on Japan’s Tokyo Bay for the development of a $1 billion warehouse.

This is worrying and should alarm every concerned Rangers fan. I mean, he's clearly got the money, he's a lifelong Rangers man, he's got the corporate experience ....... but Paisley? ?

1 hour ago, Bill said:

This is worrying and should alarm every concerned Rangers fan. I mean, he's clearly got the money, he's a lifelong Rangers man, he's got the corporate experience ....... but Paisley? ?

Aye, that is worrying.

Maybe Ralston....which is hardly Paisley at all...

2 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Aye, that is worrying.

Maybe Ralston....which is hardly Paisley at all...

The finer details of that wasted land are a mystery to me. In my mind map it's all grey, set about with smouldering craters and evil mutants.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

the Paisley angle is worrying it reminds me of the old joke , how do you make a Paisley omelette first you borrow two eggs 

It’s understood Gibson is set to bankroll the club as part of a new £20m investment which will secure Rangers finances in the short to medium term.

But it’s anticipated Gibson will then go a stage further by buying up King’s share holding - and becoming the key player behind the scenes.

Dunno, but here was me thinking that neither "King" is the owner nor Gibson will be the "new owner". Any bankrolling would have to follow certain guidelines ... and we obviously have to double-check on UEFA`s financial fair play stuff too.

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, craig said:

I read earlier that he wouldn't become the majority shareholder - that King wasn't looking to sell his shareholding and that there would be a new share issue.

Tbh that seems a lot more likely ?