Coronavirus and the political situation

I'm starting a new topic because the virus thread has started to go off-topic and I think should now be about just the medical aspects. But I'm sure we all agree that politics will not be the same whatever happens if and when this crisis ever subsides.

I've been passionately arguing about the need to save the NHS for some years now and been derided by some who refused to believe that full privatisation was ever on the agenda. Here's an article which puts a balanced dispassionate view. Frankly I couldn't care less if a conservative government takes the service into full public ownership;it's what needs to be done. Ironically, if it did then that could ensure it remains in government for a very long time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-nhs-austerity-welfare-cuts-bbc-licence-fee-a9411226.html

Good shout,...I was wondering how long it was before Greta was going to be hounded after being declared anti semitic in the Commie Virus thread ?...some things never change :crazy:

C19 seems to be the trigger that may push us toward a level of chaos that we in the West have never seen.

As I´ve previously droned on about, the general underlying situation was very weak. From the economics to polarised politics/perceptions of a decaying democracy/lack of solid and competent leadership, the ever hastening arrival of the fallout of a climate emergency to growing geo-political problems. 

In the relative short term, when does a collapsing health service become something to manage rather than have a good part of the whole shooting match go down the toilet ?

What kind of chaos would a health service that couldn´t cope with C19 demand bring...

What would it look like ?

Edited by buster.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

Italy.

They´ve certainly reached the choosing between who to treat stage (wartime like) but it´s a protocol that will be laid down everywhere if need be. In Spain, it´s already been accepted and laid out in the press that this stage is almost inevitable. I think this whilst a hugely difficult thing to deal with for families and healthcare professionals, it´d be generally and grimly accepted within a complicated situation.

What about if we start running out of healthcare professionals ?

In Madrid, the authorities have taken over a large building and are making 5,500 beds ready.

The one doctor I know who works in Madrid is in quarantine. The Spanish health minister has said he is hoping for the upward curve in new cases to become less steep by the middle of next week. 

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

I'm starting a new topic because the virus thread has started to go off-topic.....

Just a thought,... but there may be some that should stay in the Commie Virus thread looking for anti semitic mutations of C19, say for 14 days.

;)3?

24 minutes ago, buster. said:

What about if we start running out of healthcare professionals

I think that's looking inevitable (in most European countries).

23 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

He's now made a full recovery and swears he would have died if he had been in Britain.

One man's opinion regarding his own situation is hardly proof that any health service is better equipped than another to deal with Covid-19.

28 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

And yet..and yet...my mate was in an induced coma in Italy after being admitted to hospital with a fever. He's now made a full recovery and swears he would have died if he had been in Britain. He lived here for 35 years.

He has absolutely no idea if he would have died if he had been in Britain, none whatsoever.  Nothing more than a snidey dig at the UK NHS with absolutely no foundation whatsoever.  Was he ever treated for COVID-19 in the UK ?  Didn't think so.

The number of times you say things with no foundation as if they are fact :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, craig said:

He has absolutely no idea if he would have died if he had been in Britain, none whatsoever.  Nothing more than a snidey dig at the UK NHS with absolutely no foundation whatsoever.  Was he ever treated for COVID-19 in the UK ?  Didn't think so.

The number of times you say things with no foundation as if they are fact :rolleyes:

Regards the comparison of the NHS against other health services. I know many who have used both enough to form an educated opinion (regards a comparison with the Spanish HS/ know nothing about Italian HS), everyone of them think the Spanish HS now generally (are able) to offer a better service.

That may not be a fact in your book but it is a real opinion based on various user opinions.

Personally, I can´t give an opinion given I haven´t had any dealings with the NHS for nearly 3 decades.

Edited by buster.