Coronavirus and the political situation

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

Again, profit first when the only concern should be safety.

If they had shut everything down immediately, they've have taken shedloads of flack and workers wouldn't be getting paid.

This presents a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't ' situation for any government, regardless of their politics.

The Communism vs Capitalism areguments are even dafter than the Labour vs Tories ones.  This whole thing is an unprecedented, international crisis.

Edited by Gonzo79

For ASIL... the NHS and Private health working together in a time of crisis.

The NHS has struck a deal with private hospitals to acquire thousands of extra beds, ventilators and medical staff to fight the coronavirus outbreak.

An extra 8,000 hospital beds across England, nearly 1,200 ventilators and almost 20,000 fully qualified staff will be available from next week.

It comes as the number of people in the UK to die with coronavirus rose to 233. The agreement will see the private sector reallocate almost its entire national hospital capacity to the NHS.

Btw, Kent (where i live now) has recorded its first death from the Virus from a population of 1.55 million people. The 64 year old had serious underlying health problems and there are 40 people in the county who have tested positive and most have recovered after a week of isolation/treatment.

Of course I want the best person but I was taunted about the number of Asians at high level in the LP; same goes for women. I don't believe in tokenism but I would like to see a female leader. Not quite the same thing. I don't think any of the lost constituencies were influenced by political incorrectness though.

You weren't taunted with anything you were provided with some facts that you may find inconvenient but true nonetheless.

I read the article and it has a clear agenda. The Israeli state is a racist endeavour; when a military commander speaks about Arab children as being 'not children but terrorists' then that is clear.

She publicly apologised for her remarks, now that apology may well have been insincere but it wasn't extracted under duress by the Chinese Communist Party apparatus.

Edited by forlanssister

4 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

It was Gonzo saying Italy was worse as if it was a fact. My mate's illness was nothing to do with Covid-19; he had a form of Lyme's disease. I know from personal experience how the NHS has been run down. So does my wife who was misdiagnosed multiple times. I had to go to Harley Street to get the right diagnosis which was a rare form of hypothyroidism. What the health service is like in Bermuda I have no idea. My mate's cousin - resident in Britain - needed a hernia operation. He was told to wait 4 months so he asked his mum to book him into a hospital in Italy. It was done right away. Just saying.

Gonzo never said it was worse at all.  He responded to what a HS would look like when overrun.  Why do you always need to feel the need to alter the narrative ?

Me. I am quite happy to make political capital as I've said elsewhere - it is a political issue as in everything. But you don't think we should, given that BJ originally wanted to go down the route of so-called herd immunity until it was exposed for the fallacy it was. And we must not criticise the grand master now must we?

You honestly think Boris made that decision on his own and wasn’t advised by scientists and the medical community ?  :rolleyes:

Sure it's over-run but if we hadn't underfunded our service we would now be better placed to cope. For example UK has 2.5 beds per 1,000 people; in Italy it's 3.2. Yet still they cannot cope. But I don't blame individual countries I blame capitalism. If they hadn't been so concerned with the profit motive we might even had a vaccine by now. But we have had Sars, Zika, Ebola et al, so it's not like we weren't warned. Research into a coronavirus vaccine was scrapped in 2004 after Sars peaked and the death rate diminished. Research is not cost-effective you see. When it finally does hit the market Trump will likely buy it to use solely in the US and he will have to meet his asking price if we want it.

Capitalism delivered your nice little pension....

4 minutes ago, compo said:

This virus is changing every day so government's advice will change every day I personally think the government's done a decent job .

Agreed.  It's an impossible situation and what's required are calm heads and respect for ourselves and our fellow citizens. 

Labour, Lib Dems and the rest would all have responded similarly, as the relevant advice would be sought from the same sources, so I don't see the point in dragging this down to a party political debate.