Coronavirus and the political situation

14 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Not true DNAA. Julia Hartley-Brewer, Telegraph columnist, has been exhorting everybody to rally behind Boris but when Castro died she said she was glad because what did he ever do but bring a good health service and a good education service to Cuba. (I paraphrase but can show the original quote if I could find a way to upload).

The left have taken up their politics as a replacement for religion and their behaviour reflects this. They speak of conservatives as pantomine villains who are evil, and regularly insult in the strongest terms anyone who doesn't vote left.

It is clear as day that this is prevalent on left in a way that is simply not the case on the right. Yes you will get people on the right mocking the left but it is not the same as the all-consuming zealous and religious manner in which many on the left now see politics. It is no surprise to me at all that there is a widespread belief that Boris would fake this, or that the Tories pushed for herd immunity because they didn't care that people would die or were even quite happy that people would die. The activist left are increasingly living in bubbles and adopting a conspiratorial view of the world with no basis in reality. 

Edited by DMAA

Myself and a friend were both referred to as Tories during a recent political conversation amongst friends.  When we pointed out that neither of us have ever voted Tory, we were informed that doesn't matter.

It seems that the term Tory is just an insult to many nowadays.  Going for an insult is always easier than challenging the actual point being made, particularly if you have the mindset of a child.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

A large percentage of my work colleagues think the hospitalisation of BJ was a stunt.  

Politicians and spin doctors are hardly renowned for their honesty and transparency.   

I find it odd that we all slate politicians continually but as soon as someone becomes ill or dies, we're compelled to display compassion. 

If someone is a waste of space, they're a waste of space, regardless of their health.

When the hand clapping was broadcast eight days ago Boris was standing at the door clapping you didn't need to be a doctor to see the man was ill .

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Going for an insult is always easier than challenging the actual point being made, particularly if you have the mindset of a child.

This is pervasive today. The ability to intelligently debate isn't there, especially with the young. The natural instinct when debating is to skip straight to ad hominem. This isn't helped by the arrogance which has arisen from the internet making everyone an expert who already know they are right so they don't care what you have to say. And television debates are depressing to watch, a series of pre-prepared soundbites and squabbling. And I'm not saying any of the above as a result of my political views, they are just general observations which affect the whole political spectrum.

Edited by DMAA

Ah well the number of people in the "conspiracy" re Boris his government(ok not all trustworthy),the media(same idea) etc. but do not think for one moment the overworked NHS staff would be parties to a cover-up.

4 hours ago, DMAA said:

People are idiots, especially in Scotland.

Scotland is a place where hordes of really thick bastards are balanced by a small number of exceptionally bright people. By far the most dangerous are the thick bastards who think they're bright.

Edited by Bill

Self important lunacy unfortunately is not confined to the snp. Robert Jenrik, Minister for Housing etc has driven 40 miles to “bring essentials to his old ma” despite neighbours having already done that.

Worse, he’s been weekending in his house in Herefordshire. Well suited to the Housing job because in addition to the Hereford home, he has a house in London and an address in his Nottinghamshire constituency.

Jotters for Jenrik. Better still, bring back the Stocks. He needn’t expect soft rotting fruit and veg from me. I’ll be launching a big frosted Swadish Neep

4 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

I live in England and can assure you we can give you a run for your money in the idiocy stakes. How about this one:

someone sent me an audio broadcast, purporting to be from the head of the West Midlands Ambulance Service, declaring that we must not go out AT ALL from Thursday till Tuesday as the morgues were full and they were using ice rinks to store bodies. Needless to say it was quickly debunked by the real Head of Ambulance. Just when we are all trying to get folk to take this seriously, some idiot craves her share of likes and shares. Thank you social media.

Not a lot different to suggesting Boris Johnson was faking having COVID ?

Yet another suspension on the left, this time a rail union chief who said Johnson is like hitler and he would celebrate his death, and he doesn’t regret a word of it after his suspension. What was that I was saying earlier again?