Coronavirus and the political situation

I wonder what the long term effect will be for the big shops out there like John Lewis who have stores up and down the country they are still operating albeit online they along with others might say why pay for staff and rates on shops when we can continue our business online if they go down that road it would be the final nail in the coffin for most town centres  .

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Yet another suspension on the left, this time a rail union chief who said Johnson is like hitler and he would celebrate his death, and he doesn’t regret a word of it after his suspension. What was that I was saying earlier again?

The left is still reeling from the defeats on Brexit and losing the general election - well, not just losing the general election but having their arses handed to them by the very people they told us they represented. Their pain is almost tangible and seems to be getting expressed in wild lashing out at any target, with an anything-goes mentality. I honestly don't think they'll ever really get over such a crushing humiliation. I haven't seen such a visceral reaction to losing since Helicopter Sunday. Mind you, we're more or less talking here about the same element of society.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Their pain is almost tangible and seems to be getting expressed in wild lashing out at any target, with an anything-goes mentality

There was an Independent article this week suggesting that white ladies are a bit racist if they have taken a shine to the current chancellor.

?

57 minutes ago, Bill said:

The left is still reeling from the defeats on Brexit and losing the general election - well, not just losing the general election but having their arses handed to them by the very people they told us they represented. Their pain is almost tangible and seems to be getting expressed in wild lashing out at any target, with an anything-goes mentality. I honestly don't think they'll ever really get over such a crushing humiliation. I haven't seen such a visceral reaction to losing since Helicopter Sunday. Mind you, we're more or less talking here about the same element of society.

Yes I think that has definitely made things worse. I think there is a sense of desperation in the attempts to constantly smear and attack people’s character. I have been off social media for years and the little peeks I have had of it recently are a reminder why. If you type Boris into Twitter the hashtag #boristhebutcher instantly appears in the search bar. It is disgusting, but Twitter, Reddit etc. are infested with these people. Doesn’t do your mood any good to be aware of what they are saying. 

2 hours ago, compo said:

I wonder what the long term effect will be for the big shops out there like John Lewis who have stores up and down the country they are still operating albeit online they along with others might say why pay for staff and rates on shops when we can continue our business online if they go down that road it would be the final nail in the coffin for most town centres  .

Next aren’t even operating online anymore. I had my order cancelled and they basically said they were totally shut down until further notice and had to cancel all orders which hadn’t been delivered yet. The effect of this will surely be pretty catastrophic on the high street. 

On 10/04/2020 at 12:12, Gonzo79 said:

Myself and a friend were both referred to as Tories during a recent political conversation amongst friends.  When we pointed out that neither of us have ever voted Tory, we were informed that doesn't matter.

It seems that the term Tory is just an insult to many nowadays.  Going for an insult is always easier than challenging the actual point being made, particularly if you have the mindset of a child.

Though I'm sure you're aware that the word 'Tory' is from an Erse word meaning 'thief' or 'robber'!  But conversely the same goes for bland insults like 'marxist' or 'trot.'

Is Erse another word for Irish?

As a Borderer, I don't mind being referred to as an outlaw.  

I agree regarding bland political insults being used by both sides.  Most of the people who refer to anyone left of centre as Marxists probably don't know very much about Karl Marx.

On 10/04/2020 at 11:57, DMAA said:

The left have taken up their politics as a replacement for religion and their behaviour reflects this. They speak of conservatives as pantomine villains who are evil, and regularly insult in the strongest terms anyone who doesn't vote left.

It is clear as day that this is prevalent on left in a way that is simply not the case on the right. Yes you will get people on the right mocking the left but it is not the same as the all-consuming zealous and religious manner in which many on the left now see politics. It is no surprise to me at all that there is a widespread belief that Boris would fake this, or that the Tories pushed for herd immunity because they didn't care that people would die or were even quite happy that people would die. The activist left are increasingly living in bubbles and adopting a conspiratorial view of the world with no basis in reality. 

Once again I have to say that this generalisation is not the exclusive property of the Left. The right of the Labour Party were so determined not to get a Labour government that they launched the most vindictive attack ever on any democratically elected leader. To be called a 'f****** anti-semite' by supposedly one of your own side should have meant instant expulsion but no.

And, all right, it is now clear that Johnson was not faking it so I was wrong: but he was never given a ventilator and it is likely that his admission was just for precautionary reasons.

Edited by alexscottislegend

8 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Is Erse another word for Irish?

As a Borderer, I don't mind being referred to as an outlaw.  

I agree regarding bland political insults being used by both sides.  Most of the people who refer to anyone left of centre as Marxists probably don't know very much about Karl Marx.

I think it's the word for old Gaelic. I use it just to distinguish it from Scots Gaelic. You will be amused to know that when people were studying the language they were awarded a lapel medal which consisted of 2 concentric circles. It became known as the 'Ersehole.' You should try to find out if you are descended from Johnnie Armstrong!

18 hours ago, DMAA said:

Yes I think that has definitely made things worse. I think there is a sense of desperation in the attempts to constantly smear and attack people’s character. I have been off social media for years and the little peeks I have had of it recently are a reminder why. If you type Boris into Twitter the hashtag #boristhebutcher instantly appears in the search bar. It is disgusting, but Twitter, Reddit etc. are infested with these people. Doesn’t do your mood any good to be aware of what they are saying. 

No need for any desperation when the incumbent government is making such an **** of things. Or when The Sun says that it is 'Good Friday' because Boris is walking again on the very day that over 900 people died from covid. I'm not religious but Christians have every reason to consider that blasphemy.