Coronavirus and the political situation

13 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Well if you resent folk getting anything for free you probably won't approve of people on adequate private pensions who also claim the state pension

State Pension is funded by NI contributions, so isn't free.  No one claims it - it is paid out as a matter of course.

But I would agree things like that, free bus passes and free prescriptions should be reviewed.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

State Pension is funded by NI contributions, so isn't free.  No one claims it - it is paid out as a matter of course.

But I would agree things like that, free bus passes and free prescriptions should be reviewed.

You do have to claim your state pension, it doesn't get paid automatically.  

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/how-to-claim#:~:text=You will not get your,over the phone

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Thanks for the correction. Has that changed recently?

It doesn't matter, it's just process to avoid false payments going to people who have passed away, etc. You claim ("here I am") and you get the money.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

This is the trouble with non-means tested benefits - it becomes hard to discriminate fairly. We can all use the NHS and we pay out of our taxes even if some can afford to go private. Disagree about free bus passes and prescriptions as we can all expect to have less income in our declining years.

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

You do have to claim your state pension, it doesn't get paid automatically.  

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/how-to-claim#:~:text=You will not get your,over the phone

Yes, I am aware.  In fact my wife has not enough contributions to receive one. Was just trying to make the point that some well-to-do people don't really need benefits they claim but that is not a reason to stop them. 

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Well if you resent folk getting anything for free you probably won't approve of people on adequate private pensions who also claim the state pension (the lowest in develped Europe by the way)which they don't need. Why pick on children?

What terrible violence you have done upon the head of this straw man!

You have murdered him with your ham shaped fist!

Tis a wonder indeed that you can grip your crayon with such a blunt, and brutal, instrument!

3 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Well if you resent folk getting anything for free you probably won't approve of people on adequate private pensions who also claim the state pension (the lowest in develped Europe by the way)which they don't need. Why pick on children?

Do you claim both the State Pension and your publicly funded pension ?

Talking about "fairness" in pensions, it's quite a thought that many of us spend out working lives paying for the state pensions we each receive, as well as a private company pension scheme, as well as funding gilded pensions for public sector workers that we will never benefit from.