Coronavirus and the political situation

9 hours ago, Bill said:

Thing is, I can't remember the last time the Labour Party did anything for working people. That's working people, not working class people. The former is an accurate description of people across the whole socio-economic spectrum. The latter is a meaningless old epithet from the Marxist book of mandatory dogma. It's hard for me to accept that Labour has let anyone down because Labour long ago stopped representing anyone but the Party itself.

British politics is largely marooned in the past, an irrelevant shambles. The irony is that only the Tories, the party of the status quo, has evolved at all and now sits squarely in the centre-left. Labour has gone off-planet. The Libdems are, well, the LibDems and therefore what they stand for will never be known. Then we have the lunatic nationalists whose primary distinction is to be angry victims of everything. The centre-right has been completely vacated.

Yep, that was the thrust of my point. Labour naval gazed and fought internally through the 80s and ever since 2008. Only the period after John Major's disaster Govt and with a lurch to the centre where they able to secure the votes for a period in office where they then set about trying really hard to bankrupt the country and add 3m net to the population with their open borders....which Miliband had to apologise for.  

On 02/02/2021 at 22:20, ChelseaBoy said:

Yep, that was the thrust of my point. Labour naval gazed and fought internally through the 80s and ever since 2008. Only the period after John Major's disaster Govt and with a lurch to the centre where they able to secure the votes for a period in office where they then set about trying really hard to bankrupt the country and add 3m net to the population with their open borders....which Miliband had to apologise for.  

Parties represent the interests of who finances them. Labour now is welcoming donations from business and will accordingly have to dance to their tune; the Tories have always been financed by corporate interests. I wonder if the red wall seats now think they are 'their' party. Labour formerly could rely on the unions who at least represented working people.

1 minute ago, alexscottislegend said:

Parties represent the interests of who finances them. Labour now is welcoming donations from business and will accordingly have to dance to their tune; the Tories have always been financed by corporate interests. I wonder if the red wall seats now think they are 'their' party. Labour formerly could rely on the unions who at least represented working people.

Maybe not, but the Patriotism debate in the Labour party tells you all you need to know about why ordinary people abandoned them and will not easily be persuaded to vote for Labour any time soon.  

1 hour ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Maybe not, but the Patriotism debate in the Labour party tells you all you need to know about why ordinary people abandoned them and will not easily be persuaded to vote for Labour any time soon.  

You just need to look at the death of Labour in Scotland to see when the Labour Party in England is going. It no longer has a purpose or a natural constituency. It's only role is to be a reactionary outlet for people who don't like the Tories, which is why it reeks of negativity and lacks any originality.  

Watched Sturgeon give her daily address then to questions from the crawlers in the media but one bypassed the screening and got first question nothing to do with the virus a question about the Salmond inquiry and did she not like that she must have stamping her five inch heels with rage