Coronavirus and the political situation

17 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Of course they don’t. Do you think that’s what they’re doing?

What is the value to a child of three months education? Can a period of that length ever be made up?

Pointless debate anyway because teachers aren’t going back ‘til they’ve had their summer holidays. 

It looks that way if MPs - of all parties - don't volunteer to return first. They've even got the cheek to demand allowances for working from home. As for the teachers, don't fall for the Daily Mail crap (see today's headline) of attacking teachers so as to divide worker against worker. 

18 hours ago, Bill said:

Do you think there are people who actually believe they're not allowed to "venture outside"? There's advice and there's using common sense to apply it but as far as I'm concerned it's still my decision what I do as long as I don't expose anyone else to risk. Anyway, Boris says it's time to get off our arses and put the country back together again, so ... let's go.

Only one reason they want us all back; so they can protect their profits and then impose austerity on the public service 'heroes' by denying them wage increases. Clap for the NHS, give a badge for the carers, thank the posties...but don't expect reward. At least we know who the key workers are and they are not MPs or the Alan Sugars of this world.

Thing is, ASIL, MPs don't need to be in Parliament to do their jobs, whereas people who work in pubs, retail outlets etc. do need to be AT work.  

Continued lockdown hurts workers at the lower end of the pay scale more than anyone else.

I never thought the murder of schoolchildren would be a great vote winner but if @asil is right and that’s what the tories are doing they must reckon it’s a policy likely to attract a lot of support.

Well, Dominic Cummings was accused of trying to kill off the elderly (high percentage Conservative voters) at one point, so who knows what his next mad act of evil will be...

23 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Only one reason they want us all back; so they can protect their profits and then impose austerity on the public service 'heroes' by denying them wage increases. Clap for the NHS, give a badge for the carers, thank the posties...but don't expect reward. At least we know who the key workers are and they are not MPs or the Alan Sugars of this world.

It must be a real joy living in your world.

The teaching unions. How very predictable that the most duplicitously left wing union of them all should try to disrupt govt policy. Some kids have received incredible support and online teaching throughout school closures, my own grandchildren certainly have and I've seen for myself the amazing work done for the local kids.. But far too many across the country have receive next to nothing from these indolent bastards in the teaching profession, many of whom carry such a chip on their shoulders they can hardly stagger to the staff room for another cup of tea.

Why is it only those whose jobs are secure that want the lockdown to continue? 

Some parents out there couldn't give a toss about their children's education during the lockdown probably have them sit in front  of a games console and everyone's happy  .

I'm having to work from home whilst also looking after the kid two weekdays, compo.

You ever tried to get an 8 year old to sit and do school work for a few hours whilst you also have your own work to do - it certainly isn't easy.

Again, the death rate is under 0.01% and yet some people are keen to keep low income workers out of work and kids out of school.