Coronavirus and the political situation

While the mugs who pay for it all are doing the happy-clappy and banging their pans, the NHS is busy demonstrating why it doesn't have the money to hire enough nurses...

7 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Thing is, ASIL, MPs don't need to be in Parliament to do their jobs, whereas people who work in pubs, retail outlets etc. do need to be AT work.  

Continued lockdown hurts workers at the lower end of the pay scale more than anyone else.

Of course you are right but they DO need to be debating and that is difficult with 700 MPs to do online. My point is more to do with them giving a lead; even the officers from the public schools in WW1 gave a lead by actually leading a charge, some of them just young men.

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

According to today's Mirror headline 19m people have had the virus and recovered.  According to rough figures, around 40k have died as a result of contracting it.

These figures are obviously far from exact exact but do the sums and you have a 0.0021052632% chance of dying from it.

The hysteria surrounding this whole thing is quite bewildering. 

Put that way it does seem that you and I have little chance of contracting it. But just suppose for one minute that nobody went into lock down, that flights and travel was not stopped and then ponder how many deaths there might have been. The 1918 Spanish flu epidemic was estimated to have cost 20million lives.

6 hours ago, Bill said:

The teaching unions. How very predictable that the most duplicitously left wing union of them all should try to disrupt govt policy. Some kids have received incredible support and online teaching throughout school closures, my own grandchildren certainly have and I've seen for myself the amazing work done for the local kids.. But far too many across the country have receive next to nothing from these indolent bastards in the teaching profession, many of whom carry such a chip on their shoulders they can hardly stagger to the staff room for another cup of tea.

Why is it only those whose jobs are secure that want the lockdown to continue? 

Difficult to know where to start with such a diatribe of prejudice and misinformation. I've been doing a little bit of online tutoring myself and I welcome the compliment based on what has been done for your grandkids. But then I'm also an 'indolent bastard' who belongs to an educational union (retired members branch).  Can't speak about Scotland but I know from experience that any indolence is soon weeded out thanks to the inordinate amount of testing, inspections, personal development plans, after school commitments, ever-increasing numbers of non-teaching days which have steadily been forced on the profession all against the background of pay freezes and annual cuts to schools budgets. As for secure jobs, you are blissfully unaware that even many university lecturers are now on short-term renewable contracts. Very few have jobs for life.

Still, since the demise of the miners, we've sorely needed another 'enemy within' to take their place. Just at the moment we cannot pick on the happy clappers in the NHS but their time will come when they demand proper remuneration for their key skills.

6 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm having to work from home whilst also looking after the kid two weekdays, compo.

You ever tried to get an 8 year old to sit and do school work for a few hours whilst you also have your own work to do - it certainly isn't easy.

Again, the death rate is under 0.01% and yet some people are keen to keep low income workers out of work and kids out of school.

Stop press: yesterday the R rate for London was said to be going down. Today it is back up to 0.9 and that was computed before the Wednesday surge back to crowded buses and tubes.

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

Put that way it does seem that you and I have little chance of contracting it. But just suppose for one minute that nobody went into lock down, that flights and travel was not stopped and then ponder how many deaths there might have been. The 1918 Spanish flu epidemic was estimated to have cost 20million lives.

So then, why does no lock down Sweden have a lower death rate per million than lock down Scotland?

46 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Stop press: yesterday the R rate for London was said to be going down. Today it is back up to 0.9 and that was computed before the Wednesday surge back to crowded buses and tubes.

Is that even news!?

24 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

They won't broker any dissension in the ranks. 

Imagine the SNP having two MPs like David Gauke or Dominic Grieve within the party for a parliamentary term - I wonder how they would manage!!