• 2 weeks later...

Phoenix Squadron, an account of a Fleet Air Arm operation to deter Guatemalan aggression against British Honduras, now Belize. 

An excellent book if you’re interested in carrier operations in general but two locations on a map of BH caught my eye, Blue Creek and - I kid you not - Orange Walk.

See they Mayans - Staunch.

Currently re-reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

One of those subtle tales that at the same time appears to be a simple yarn while cleverly planting immovable questions in your brain.

Highly recommend this one.

Edited by Bill

I'm reading Notebooks: 1934-1947 by Victor Serge.  A fascinating insight into early Soviet Russia, although the endless acronyms are hard work and some prior knowledge is required.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to revisit the Gormengast trilogy by Mervyn Peake, that I first read in my 20's. This time I have the benefit of being able to read them in the right order and have embarked upon Titus Groan. These books have stayed in my mind over the intervening decades and it's time to rediscover why that is. Peake's was an impressive intellect and the world of Gormengast he constructs is probably beyond comparison in English literature.

It's a big undertaking but I'm looking forward to it and pleased to have the time and peace to indulge myself, something I could never have done when working.