54 minutes ago, Bill said:

I've decided to revisit the Gormengast trilogy by Mervyn Peake, that I first read in my 20's. This time I have the benefit of being able to read them in the right order and have embarked upon Titus Groan. These books have stayed in my mind over the intervening decades and it's time to rediscover why that is. Peake's was an impressive intellect and the world of Gormengast he constructs is probably beyond comparison in English literature.

It's a big undertaking but I'm looking forward to it and pleased to have the time and peace to indulge myself, something I could never have done when working.

*cough* Tolkien *cough*

The British Pacific Fleet, David Hobbs.

Very interesting if you’re interested. Dull as ditchwater if you’re not.

RN had nine Fleet Carriers on station in August 1945. And they all had aircraft.

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

*cough* Tolkien *cough*

Not in the same league in my opinion - and I'm a huge fan of Tolkein and his books. If you are too I highly recommend reading this book, which will add another layer of appreciation to reading his LOTR or Silmarillion.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 15.33.10.png

Edited by Bill

• 4 weeks later...

For no good reason I can explain I tend to avoid books that are super-popular, possibly I worry about them being "cult books" and I've always shied away from bandwagons. However, I was recently given a copy of 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson and decided it might fill a few hours of lockdown boredom. I'm probably not nearly the cynic I like to think I am but, Jesus, talk about being taken by surprise. I couldn't put the damned thing down. I can see now why this has sold so many millions of copies, to the extent I've now started reading it again from the beginning, determined to look more closely at his key messages. I absolutely steer away from self-help books but I wish I'd read this thirty years before he wrote it.

12 Rules.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I've just started reading Mikhail Sholakhov's And Quiet Flows The Don.  

Already really enjoying it (I'm a huge fan of Russian literature, so may be biased). 

Wow - I just finished that a few months ago. Not an easy read but it gives in the character of Gregori an interesting insight into the problems faced by the successors of 1917. I wished Dostoevsky had managed to live through the revolution too.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got any Cricket book recommendations? Whether general history, strategy, specific generations, teams or players, etc. 

I recently watched the Fire in Babylon documentary about the West Indies side of the 70s and 80s, which was quite enjoyable if lacking in detail. It whetted my appetite.

For the West Indies anything by Tony Cozier including his collaborations with nominal authors Michael Holding and Clive Lloyd.

Neville Cardus and Jack Fingleton for pre and post war England and Australia respectively.

Got a paperback from my next door neighbour,  Blood Trails it's the combat diary of a foot soldier in Vietnam by Christopher Ronnau .

It's no blinking wonder they lost that war as well .