What's everyone been reading? 

I recently finished 12 rules for life by Jordan Peterson and The madness of crowds by Douglas Murray, both great reads btw. 

At the moment I'm slowly getting through the Gulag Archipelago by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn and I got George Orwell's 1984 waiting in the wings. 

2 hours ago, bluedan said:

I recently finished 12 rules for life by Jordan Peterson and The madness of crowds by Douglas Murray, both great reads btw. 

At the moment I'm slowly getting through the Gulag Archipelago by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn and I got George Orwell's 1984 waiting in the wings. 

Very apt for our times. Just finished North West Passage by Kenneth Rogers - amazing struggle through hostile land of Robert Rogers - believe there is a film with Spenser Tracey but haven't seen. 

Funny thing I dont really read fiction but my neighbor gave me a stack of books by a Scottish writer Stuart McBride all set in and around Aberdeen Peterhead even Portsoy I've been reading them between watching the racing and they are a good wee read .

6 minutes ago, compo said:

Funny thing I dont really read fiction but my neighbor gave me a stack of books by a Scottish writer Stuart McBride all set in and around Aberdeen Peterhead even Portsoy I've been reading them between watching the racing and they are a good wee read .

Just let me know if you need help with translation.

2 hours ago, compo said:

I've read a few  of them. There are two sets, one with Sgt/Inspector McRae if my memory serves and the other with an ex copper who gets roped in to all sorts.  Some good stories and characters, especially his boss!

30 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

I've read a few  of them. There are two sets, one with Sgt/Inspector McRae if my memory serves and the other with an ex copper who gets roped in to all sorts.  Some good stories and characters, especially his boss!

It's the Logan Mcrae ones he gave me unfortunately I have not started in any chronological order but they are a decent read 

12 hours ago, bluedan said:

12 Rules is an amazing book. I’m currently reading it for a second time and already thinking that won’t be enough to get everything from it. It’s not a book you read to take things from but an instrument for stimulating self-reflection and opening closed minds. I was recently reading an extract from Dr Peterson’s sequel which suggests good things to come. Dr Peterson is that rare combination of knowledge, intellect and morality - a heady cocktail in an age of ignorance, compliance and self-obsession. 

Having recently revisited Titus Groan, next on my list is the second of Peake’s trilogy, Gormenghast. I seem to spend a lot of time these days re-reading books from my youth and maybe I’ll also follow Peterson‘s recommendation of the Gulag Archipelago, on which he shone a whole new light for me. 

On 25/06/2020 at 07:56, Bill said:

12 Rules is an amazing book. I’m currently reading it for a second time and already thinking that won’t be enough to get everything from it. It’s not a book you read to take things from but an instrument for stimulating self-reflection and opening closed minds. I was recently reading an extract from Dr Peterson’s sequel which suggests good things to come. Dr Peterson is that rare combination of knowledge, intellect and morality - a heady cocktail in an age of ignorance, compliance and self-obsession. 

Having recently revisited Titus Groan, next on my list is the second of Peake’s trilogy, Gormenghast. I seem to spend a lot of time these days re-reading books from my youth and maybe I’ll also follow Peterson‘s recommendation of the Gulag Archipelago, on which he shone a whole new light for me. 

I'm yet to convince my gf on Dr Peterson but I'm wearing her down. I think she's read the "he's the belle of the Alt right" tripe and taken it at face value. I keep telling her that isn't what he's about and she's watching more of him now. 

I think he's great, I watch that Cathy Newman interview at least once every couple of weeks. 

The Gulag is a tough read. There's so much to it. 

Have you tried Douglas Murray yet?