What's the Greatest Rangers side?

For my next annoying attempt at generating some discussion: What is the Greatest Rangers side?

I was inspired by an article listing the greatest sides of all time, where the Ajax '65-73 side won out over teams like Brazil '70, Milan '87-91, Madrid '50-60, Ajax '92-96 and Barcelona '08-11 etc. 

I thought, first, we could generate a list of the greatest Ranges sides. Then we can have a poll!

I'll need some help here, to generate the list and fill in the teams. 

Thus far, I have:

Rangers '94-97:    Goram, Cleland, Robertson, Gough, McLaren, Brown, Gascoigne, Ferguson, McCall, Laudrup, McCoist / Durie

Rangers '91-93:    Goram, Brown, Gough, McPherson, Robertson, McCall, Ferguson, Durant, Murray / Steven (?), McCoist, Hateley

Rangers '07/08:    Alexander, Broadfoot, Weir, Cuellar, Papac, Whittaker, Ferguson, Hemdani, Thomson, Davis, Darcheville

Rangers '01-03:    Klos, Ricksen, Amoruso, Moore, Numan, Ferguson, DeBoer, Malcolm, Arveladze, McCann, Mols

Rangers '71/72:    McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Johnstone, Smith, McLean, Conn, Stein, MacDonald, Johnston

Rangers '75-78:    McCloy, Jardine, Jackson, Greig, Forsyth, McLean, Russell, MacDonald, Cooper, Johnstone, Smith

Rangers '98-00:    Klos, Reyna, Moore, Vidmar, Numan, Kanchelskis, Ferguson, Van Bronckhorst, Albertz, Wallace, Dodds

Rangers '59-64:    Ritchie, Shearer, Provan, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand, Wilson

What do you think about splitting the '90s side? It seems quite different from Souness' early side to Smith's later side?

I'll need help with the above times periods and teams. I've taken the teams from cup finals so they will be different from the typical league side. 

What are some more great Rangers sides?

43 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Cup final sides. I knew you’d solve the problem, Rousseau.

15/5/63 v celtic, 3-0.

Ritchie, Shearer, Provan, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand , Wilson.

aye a grand side

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

Cup final sides. I knew you’d solve the problem, Rousseau.

15/5/63 v celtic, 3-0.

Ritchie, Shearer, Provan, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand , Wilson.

It was actually just to get the teams, because I couldn't find a team for specific league games. In any 'great side', league titles have to count. 

Did that team have a longer period of success than just '63? 

I see we won the league in '58/59, '60/61, '62/63 and '63/64, alongside 4 Scottish cups and a couple of League cups in that spell from '58-64 - was that the same team?

8 hours ago, Rousseau said:

For my next annoying attempt at generating some discussion: What is the Greatest Rangers side?

I was inspired by an article listing the greatest sides of all time, where the Ajax '65-73 side won out over teams like Brazil '70, Milan '87-91, Madrid '50-60, Ajax '92-96 and Barcelona '08-11 etc. 

I thought, first, we could generate a list of the greatest Ranges sides. Then we can have a poll!

I'll need some help here, to generate the list and fill in the teams. 

Thus far, I have:

Rangers '91-97:    Goram, Cleland, Robertson, Gough, McLaren, Brown, Gascoigne, Ferguson, McCall, Laudrup, Durie/McCoist

Rangers '88-91:    Woods, Stevens, Gough, Butcher, Brown, Cooper, Ferguson, Wilkins, Walters, McCoist, Drinkell

Rangers '07/08:    Alexander, Broadfoot, Weir, Cuellar, Papac, Whittaker, Ferguson, Hemdani, Thomson, Davis, Darcheville

Rangers '01-03:    Klos, Ricksen, Amoruso, Moore, Numan, Ferguson, DeBoer, Malcolm, Arveladze, McCann, Mols

Rangers '71/72:    McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Johnstone, Smith, McLean, Conn, Stein, MacDonald, Johnston

Rangers '75-78:    McCloy, Jardine, Jackson, Greig, Forsyth, McLean, Russel, MacDonald, Cooper, Johnstone, Smith

Rangers '98-00:    Klos, Reyna, Moore, Vidmar, Numan, Kanchelskis, Ferguson, Van Bronckhorst, Albertz, Wallace, Dodds

Rangers '59-64:    Ritchie, Shearer, Provan, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand, Wilson

What do you think about splitting the '90s side? It seems quite different from Souness' early side to Smith's later side?

I'll need help with the above times periods and teams. I've taken the teams from cup finals so they will be different from the typical league side. 

What are some more great Rangers sides?

See looking at that 07/08 team - it amazes me that they made it to the Europa final, and I am sure it amazes almost all of us.  It is testament to their professionalism but, moreso, the guile of Walter Smith that this team made the final of a European competition.

A team that included a 38 yr old Davie Weir and "limited ability" Kirk Broadfoot in the back 4 is head-shaking stuff.  Looking through that whole team none of those players would stick out the way a Gascoigne or Laudrup would.  Cuellar was our best player that season, IMO, yet only ended up at Aston Villa.  We were solid in midfield with Ferguson, Davis, Thomson and the under-rated Hemdani (better suited to European football than domestic) and even Darcheville up top wasn't a fantastic player.

Just look at that team in comparison to the 91-97 team.... How many of the 07/08 team would make that 91-97 team ?  Cuellar in place of McLaren maybe (and I liked McLaren too) ?  Papac instead of Brown maybe ?  Not one of the midfield 4 would get in the team (aside from Ferguson being in both...) and Darcheville wouldn't get in front of McCoist.

And yet that 07/08 team made the Europa final - amazes me.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Well... this topic went well. :D 

Any more great Rangers sides of yesteryear?

Traffic is low on the board because not many folk are at their workplace so no need to relieve boredom.

Here’s my big brother’s team late 40s.

Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Cox, Waddell, Duncanson, Thornton, Williamson, Rutherford.

Must have been good. Beat Elgin City 6-1 in the Scottish Cup. Also wrestled championships from a magnificent Hibernian side.

6 hours ago, Rousseau said:

The '59-64 side is added to the list. 

The team in #2 is the cup final side with Davy Provan at left back for the injured Caldow who played brilliantly from  1955 until Bobby Smith broke his leg at Wembley in 1963.