Crossing at Ibrox

Did anyone do it better than Alex Scott?

Was there a more thrilling sight than Scott racing onto the ball, past the fullback, already beaten by the precision of the pass from Ian McMillan, then without looking up and with no reduction of pace, whipping over a wicked cross for Murray, Kichenbrand or Millar to bullet into the net?

@Bill will nominate Tommy McLean but his deliberate and careful accuracy didn’t have the electric excitement of Scott’s.

46 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Was there a more thrilling sight than Scott racing onto the ball, past the fullback, already beaten by the precision of the pass from Ian McMillan, then without looking up and with no reduction of pace, whipping over a wicked cross for Murray, Kichenbrand or Millar to bullet into the net?

@Bill will nominate Tommy McLean but his deliberate and careful accuracy didn’t have the electric excitement of Scott’s.

Maybe wee calamero lacked the electric pace but he nearly always found his target....i'll be on Bill's side with this one.

Edited by onevision

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

No, what I actually said about Tommy McLean (or certainly meant to say) was that he was the most consistent winger I've seen in a Rangers shirt. I also think he was probably the best too ?

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

No, what I actually said about Tommy McLean (or certainly meant to say) was that he was the most consistent winger I've seen in a Rangers shirt. I also think he was probably the best too ?

Given the state of some of the pitches he played on makes it even more impressive.

I was going to say crossing is overrated, but I wonder if it's because you very rarely see it done well now? 

The top sides prefer a cut back to the edge of the box. There are very few natural target men now, too. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I was going to say crossing is overrated, but I wonder if it's because you very rarely see it done well now? 

The top sides prefer a cut back to the edge of the box. There are very few natural target men now, too. 

I guess one without the other is a bit pointless but when you think of the number of goals DJ scored fro McLean crosses it hard to argue with the game-winning value of that combination.

Edited by Bill

4 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Neither would I underestimate wee Tommy's ability to go past a defender. His pace over 20 yards could be devastating. It's amazing how these things get forgotten but time does tend to do that.