Jimmy Greaves In Hospital

15 hours ago, compo said:

best striker I ever set eyes upon 

Didnt see the guy play but his stats are there to be seen. It annoys me when people say Rooney was Englands "greatest" goalscorer when he is clearly the "highest". Dont get me wrong, Rooney was world class player but Greaves percentage rate is way the greatest. 44 in 57 games.

44 in 57 gives Greaves an average of 0.77,  well ahead of Rooney, 53 in 119 @ 0.45 and Charlton, 49 in 106 @ 0.46 and comfortably ahead of Lineker, 48 in 80 @ 0.60.

Tom Finney got 30 in 76 @ 0.39 but he got most of his from the wings.

Greaves doesn’t do as well as Nat Lofthouse. 30 in 33 @ 0.90.

Of these only Lofthouse and Lineker were true centre forwards. Greaves was the classic inside forward, auxiliary striker (Ralph Brand) Charlton played both inside and centre, latterly midfield. Rooney is a mid-fiielder. How many would they have scored as centres only? Perhaps not as many because their talents of coming onto chances created by others would have been stifled in one to one battles with centre halves.

How much does a striker’s average diminish the longer he plays? Did Lofthouse get out at the right time?

Never mind the stats. Old @compo was probable right - again.

Greaves recorded 6 hat-tricks, so 18 of those 44 goals came in just 6 games. (I believe those hat-tricks came against some of the same sides too.)

Clearly he shone bright, but surely Rooney gets bonus points for longevity?

What does 'greatest' actually mean? Is Negri our greatest striker for his one wonder season, or is McCoist for doing it over several seasons?

(Can you tell I'm bored... ?) 

Scored on his debut for every  professional club he played for seen him help destroy us in the early sixties you had to stop take a deep breath and watch him and spurs give us a good seeing to