I need to cut the 7mm spindle of a jammed door handle. The location unfortunately is indoors close to glass panes. The options:

Dremel.

Bosch Multi-tool.

B&D Scorpion.

Hacksaw.

Call the Joiner.

The B&D has successfully cut angle iron outside but there were a hell of a lot of sparks.

Any suggestions? The hacksaw is trending. I’ve plenty of time on my hands I suppose

What purpose are you trying to achieve by cutting the spindle? Is the spindle not able to be pulled out by disconnecting the handle on the other side of the door? 

There will some sparks with the dremel, assuming you are thinking of using a cutting disk.  The cutting disks are quite fragile (and they wear out) and the further you cut into the spindle the more likely they will break, so have a few handy.  A mini hacksaw would be effective assuming you can use clear strokes but it will be a little time consuming.

Thanks.

One of these fancy foreign things with “fast release” a recessed screw which you slacken with a special key to pull the handle off. Wretched thing jammed about two thirds along its travel. God knows why. Had a lot of trouble with these over the years.

Hacksaw it is then. Better wait ‘til the replacement handle arrives, though.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

Thanks.

One of these fancy foreign things with “fast release” a recessed screw which you slacken with a special key to pull the handle off. Wretched thing jammed about two thirds along its travel. God knows why. Had a lot of trouble with these over the years.

Drill out the screw? Easier to replace than a spindle 

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

Thanks.

Its not an allen key or star head screw?

48 minutes ago, gaspard said:

Drill out the screw? Easier to replace than a spindle 

Then the handle would come off every time I pulled it.

13 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Its not an allen key or star head screw?

The tiniest allen you ever saw. Something out of a doll’s house toolkit.

Hard to see into the aperture but no visible damage to the screw head. I must have done something to it though for it to be so offended.

6 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Then the handle would come off every time I pulled it.

The tiniest allen you ever saw. Something out of a doll’s house toolkit.

Hard to see into the aperture but no visible damage to the screw head. I must have done something to it though for it to be so offended.

Drill it tapping size, ie 5mm for 6mm should then be able to extract with an easy-out, if you have a set, or a small flat screwdriver if you don't . Grub screws are very cheap.

2 minutes ago, gaspard said:

Drill it tapping size, ie 5mm for 6mm should then be able to extract with an easy-out, if you have a set, or a small flat screwdriver if you don't . Grub screws are very cheap.

Thanks. I’ll have a rake through the drill box.