Waiting for the new handle set to arrive before I hack the old one off. It still functions to open and close but looks daft sticking out an inch.

I didn’t have an extractor small enough but what I should have foreseen, the drill will not present. The aperture is in the inside of the handle’s elbow. Looks classy but very impractical when something goes wrong.

The Bosch should do it. I had a wee practice. with a bit of scrap. I’ll have to be patient and the blade may turn out to be a onetime use only.

18 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Waiting for the new handle set to arrive before I hack the old one off. It still functions to open and close but looks daft sticking out an inch.

I didn’t have an extractor small enough but what I should have foreseen, the drill will not present. The aperture is in the inside of the handle’s elbow. Looks classy but very impractical when something goes wrong.

The Bosch should do it. I had a wee practice. with a bit of scrap. I’ll have to be patient and the blade may turn out to be a onetime use only.

Oscillating tools can overheat rapidly when cutting metal, take your time, stop frequently and cool blade in water.

39 minutes ago, gaspard said:

Oscillating tools can overheat rapidly when cutting metal, take your time, stop frequently and cool blade in water.

Good advice. Thanks.

My next problem may be supply. The manufacturers don’t supply direct and they have a only three UK outlets in Port Talbot, Cambridge and some obscure place in the Midlands. None of them has a product listing.

5 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Good advice. Thanks.

My next problem may be supply. The manufacturers don’t supply direct and they have a only three UK outlets in Port Talbot, Cambridge and some obscure place in the Midlands. None of them has a product listing.

Is it not possible to buy a small hex key online. Smaller ones tend to be a £1 or less with sets being a bit more.  Have a look at ToolStation as they stock them and are still operating some kind of service.

As a matter of interest who is the supplier in Cambridge - Mackays?

If I've understood this dilemma accurately   and its difficult without photos, it appears the tiny grubscrew is seized,  one cause of this is cross threading but if both components are stainless steel galling can occur (cold welding) force can sometimes be the only solution if drilling option discounted,  if the Allen key is turning then the female hex on the screw is rounded, in that instance take the next sized key up, sometimes that may be imperial on a metric key and vice versa.  Cut a leg off, so you are left with a short hexagonal bar, and tap this home with a hammer, should result in a good tight fit. A small shifter of even a mole can then be used to apply torque.

Covid19DIYloyal

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2020 at 20:15, gaspard said:

If I've understood this dilemma accurately   and its difficult without photos, it appears the tiny grubscrew is seized,  one cause of this is cross threading but if both components are stainless steel galling can occur (cold welding) force can sometimes be the only solution if drilling option discounted,  if the Allen key is turning then the female hex on the screw is rounded, in that instance take the next sized key up, sometimes that may be imperial on a metric key and vice versa.  Cut a leg off, so you are left with a short hexagonal bar, and tap this home with a hammer, should result in a good tight fit. A small shifter of even a mole can then be used to apply torque.

Covid19DIYloyal

New handles arrived today. Made a starter cu in the jammed spindle with a hacksaw and didn’t stop. Twelve minute job.

Thanks for the help.