Season Ticket prices frozen and membership scheme launched

A Message From Steven Gerrard

THANK you for your incredible backing in season 2019/20 so far. Your loyalty will never be taken for granted and we are desperate to reward you for that loyalty.

These times are unlike any we have witnessed before. The UK faces challenges never experienced in our generation, certainly since the Second World War.

Our city of Glasgow is a proper football city, and Rangers are a proper football club. I grew up in a resilient city. I played football in a resilient city. I am now proud to manage in a resilient city.

Football makes a city, Rangers makes Glasgow.

I know nothing but football clubs who have faced down periods of incredible difficulty, but like our cities, because of your support, we will come through again, stronger than before.

That is what makes us who we are. We fight back to be even stronger when times are hard. Rangers gives us all something to rally around – that is why I am here.

I have experienced many cauldron-like atmospheres. Ibrox is a proper football stadium and your support makes all the difference.

I need only take myself back to our Europa League win over Braga. Our players delivered on that night, but it was your backing which drove them on from 2-0 down. That is proper football.

There are few grounds in world football capable of doing that. Ibrox is very much one of them and we need that backing as Rangers is nothing without you. It really is one special place and I am absolutely sure that you, just the same as I, cannot wait to be back there.

This current crisis has created unprecedented challenges. Players and senior staff have shown their loyalty to our club in recent weeks, and now we want to reward you for your loyalty to us. I am therefore delighted we have frozen the price of season tickets and have extended the deadline for applications.

There are more chapters to be written in our story. We can only do that together.

We will be ready for whatever challenges come our way in season 2020/21, whenever that begins.

We need you to be ready too.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/a-message-from-steven-gerrard/

Football faces season behind closed doors

Football matches would be played behind closed doors all next season under plans being considered by the sport’s authorities.

Senior figures believe that games in the top four divisions, including the Premier League, will be held without crowds until Christmas as Britain tries to control the coronavirus pandemic.

They think this could continue until May next year if government permission for mass gatherings is tied to production of a widely available vaccine. Other sports, music festivals and concerts would also be banned if Boris Johnson takes such a hardline stance.

Holding matches behind closed doors for the whole season would mean a big drop in income for clubs, and the Football Association is looking at how to minimise damage to clubs at all levels.

Manchester United earn £111 million a season from ticket sales and matchday revenue, 17 per cent of their total income. Across all four divisions the total income lost would exceed £1 billion.

Clubs in the lower divisions are more vulnerable as they rely on income from ticket sales far more than those in the Premier League, where most of the revenue comes from television rights. In League One and League Two, matchday income makes up an average of 40 per cent of clubs’ income. There is concern that wages will fall and some players might have to go part-time.

Jonas Baer-Hoffman, secretary-general of the international footballers’ union Fifpro, said: “In terms of fans being back inside stadiums that might likely not be possible until people are vaccinated. So it may well be that we play a full season without spectators.”

Sports organisations are aware that attention has been focused on whether mass gatherings in March contributed to the spread of the virus. These included the Cheltenham races and the derby match between Manchester United and Manchester City on March 8 and Liverpool’s Champions League match against Atletico Madrid on March 12.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/football-faces-season-behind-closed-doors-phxssnw9l