Rangers - Where do we go from here?

18 minutes ago, Bill said:

if we rest on our laurels now and congratulate ourselves on how far we've come then we're fucked.

The only time we should do that is when we've just won the European Cup and successfully campaigned to have Separate Entity FC moved to the Irish league.

2 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

IMO it all goes back to Murray being the above,he did not manage to get his dream and simply spat the dummy,again IMO.

As a result we got the ensuing disasters till Dave King came along,he got the club on a reasonably stable footing and,although not completely gone,has left us in decent governance.

No doubt about it, you're right. However, the past has been analysed to death. We obviously need to learn from it and not repeat the same mistakes but the real test is looking forward, thinking about where we want to be in a few years time and what it will take to get there. I'm saying I don't think we have the tools at the club yet to do the job ... and the results so far back me up. We're definitely improving but I don't want improvement, I want success.

30 minutes ago, compo said:

must be someone out there with more money than sense who fancy an ego trip 

If there is, they'll go for a team in a league that people outside that country want to watch.

Scottish football is not adequate for ego ambitions (this has been very well demonstrated by recent events).

3 hours ago, compo said:

Get that woman on board who did the brokered the deal on the Newcastle sale must be someone out there with more money than sense who fancy an ego trip 

We're not competing with Chelsea and Man City. It's only Celtic we have to compete with for trophies. It's just that we're not so far. We don't need hundreds of millions of pounds. We just need to be able to close the gap and take two steps beyond. The current squad is clearly not up to the task, I really don't know if the manager is. I've none of the answers but we need a CEO who has most of them. We are clearly getting some much better people in to manage parts of the operation - we don't need more managers, we need leadership that cn solve our remaining limitations.

13 hours ago, Bill said:

We're not competing with Chelsea and Man City. It's only Celtic we have to compete with for trophies. It's just that we're not so far. We don't need hundreds of millions of pounds. We just need to be able to close the gap and take two steps beyond. The current squad is clearly not up to the task, I really don't know if the manager is. I've none of the answers but we need a CEO who has most of them. We are clearly getting some much better people in to manage parts of the operation - we don't need more managers, we need leadership that cn solve our remaining limitations.

I know its only Celtic we have to overcome but it will still take a lot of money and it looks to me that our present board are not prepared to take that extra step. 

Were now in that situation when Murray made his idiot comments about spending a tenner for every pound they spent now were in a situation were they can spend that tenner ?

On 16/05/2020 at 09:14, Bill said:

For those prepared to consider the reality of our position, the harsh truth is Peter Lawwell has out-thought and out-fought Rangers for the best part of 20 years. He has succeeded is establishing Celtic as the pre-eminent club in Scotland and has done so by removing Rangers from any position of influence it had in Scottish football. Celtic has been better run in every respect, to the extent they are now far better financed and much better connected than Rangers by a country mile.

Since returning to the SPFL, Rangers has succeeded in making second place its own but remains far behind Celtic in almost every respect. If we are ever going to shake off our current mantle as second best and step out of Celtic's shadow, we will need a far better calibre of leadership and it's far from obvious to me that we currently have the people on board to provide it. Clearly, we're now heading in the right general direction but if we don't improve and get it right, we could spend the next 20 years heading in the right direction without ever arriving at a destination.

I remember when Rangers was recognised by everyone as the gold standard in Scottish football, when Celtic was the perennial bridesmaid. But we got lazy and careless and frittered away every advantage we once had. I don't think we can just assume Celtic will do the same. There's a tacit understanding that we have to stop Celtic winning ten in a row but, seriously, I'm more concerned about them winning 15 or more in a row and, frankly, nothing I've seen so far persuades me we yet have what it takes to stop them. My hope is that recent boardroom changes will pave the way for new and more aggressively competitive investors/directors and that that will translate into something more than the half-hearted challenges we've mustered in recent years. Something significant has to change and I hope the current directors are smart enough to realise that.

Was just thinking this. In many aspects off-the-pitch, we're quite a away off where we should be. It might be that once we crack one stronghold then others will fall shortly after, equally it might not.

33 minutes ago, Rick Roberts said:

. But we got lazy and careless and frittered away every advantage we once had. I don't think we can just assume Celtic will do the same.

Maybe in the last two post winter shutdown periods but as for the whole highlighted quote we went downhill because Murray f***ed us up,Whyte and Green then continued the destruction then through ensuing "journey" made some putrid managerial placements were made.

Granted we did not have the same quality of players but IMO those who got us through the journey deserve a modicum of thanks.

Hopefully the scum are punished similarly for the child abuse allegations.

I always criticise nationalists for not being able to discuss Scotland without referencing to England. There are times when it looks like some of us struggle to talk about Rangers without mentioning Celtic. Why is that?

I suppose our fans use the Celtic thing as a marker I watch a lot of games these day's I dont have much to do apart from the garden the greenhouse and watching football and Celtic are not as good as the media tell the gullible out there .

But therein lies the problem if they are poor in my opinion where does that leave Rangers if we trail them by thirteen points we haven't kicked a ball since the winter break a couple of performances in Europe when we raised our game is not good enough I woul hope that during this break our boardroom would be assessing what's gone wrong and what's needed. 

Is the manager up to the job are his backroom staff getting results what about the youth policy where's the lads coming through from Auchenhowie it's all pretty dire at the moment