Why spend £1.8 million on a position we already have covered by a Scottish internationist?? Alan Hutton came on leaps and bounds last season and I'd hope he'd develop furthur next season. I know Whittaker can play right midfield but we also have another Scottish internationalist in that position in Chris Burke.

I would say the priority was on the other flank at left back. I see Gary Naysmith went to Sheffield Utd for £1 million as part of the Phil Jagielka (sp ) deal. Would like to have seen him come in as competition/cover for Stevie Smith.

Malky

Why spend £1.8 million on a position we already have covered by a Scottish internationist?? Alan Hutton came on leaps and bounds last season and I'd hope he'd develop furthur next season. I know Whittaker can play right midfield but we also have another Scottish internationalist in that position in Chris Burke.

I would say the priority was on the other flank at left back. I see Gary Naysmith went to Sheffield Utd for £1 million as part of the Phil Jagielka (sp ) deal. Would like to have seen him come in as competition/cover for Stevie Smith.

Malky

What if Hutton gets injured ?, Burke always seems to be injured, i don't think we have enough cover on the right,Whittacker will give us cover for both positions IMO.

Smith, Papac,Adam,Murray,Beasley can cover the left

What if Hutton gets injured ?, Burke always seems to be injured, i don't think we have enough cover on the right,Whittacker will give us cover for both positions IMO.

Smith, Papac,Adam,Murray,Beasley can cover the left

So what does Smith have planned for Novo, Sionko, Darchville, Lowing etc if we're talking about right side cover?? Hell i'm sure a couple of our centre backs could do a shift at right back if required.

Smith is still injured I think, Papac is not bad, Adam is wasted on the left, Murray is a liability and Beasley is going to be played as an out and out wide man i'd imagine. I'd say �£1million was a good price for a current international left back.

Malky

So what does Smith have planned for Novo, Sionko, Darchville, Lowing etc if we're talking about right side cover?? Hell i'm sure a couple of our centre backs could do a shift at right back if required.

Smith is still injured I think, Papac is not bad, Adam is wasted on the left, Murray is a liability and Beasley is going to be played as an out and out wide man i'd imagine. I'd say �£1million was a good price for a current international left back.

Malky

Aye, i see your point and i'm not really arguing,i just think he's worth the money,maybe a bit expensive right enough,but then again look at the farce surrounding our targets so far,Sionko wants away,i thought Darchville was a striker,Lowing is still a bit young

Why spend �£1.8 million on a position we already have covered by a Scottish internationist?? Alan Hutton came on leaps and bounds last season and I'd hope he'd develop furthur next season. I know Whittaker can play right midfield but we also have another Scottish internationalist in that position in Chris Burke.

I would say the priority was on the other flank at left back. I see Gary Naysmith went to Sheffield Utd for �£1 million as part of the Phil Jagielka (sp ) deal. Would like to have seen him come in as competition/cover for Stevie Smith.

Malky

Reading this, Im just realising Whittaker is a right back and not right midfield. Thats worse if we use 1.8 million for a position where we have a player on the top of his game - Hutton. It may make Hutton determined to keep his place but we should be putting that money into another position and taking he likes of Danny Mills on a free contract for RB cover.

I think Whittaker has played both positions for Hibs.

He has and it is the midfield role Smith wants him to play with the option of covering for Hutton. Is he the answer to our lack of imagination in the midfield?

I doubt it and i still think we could rue the decision to let Scott Brown go to the darkside.

No, I don't think he is the solution. We badly need a central midfielder who can play like Fergie did before he went to Blackburn. I'm still pretty down about how defensive our central midfield is, especially when Hemdani, Fergie and Thomson are all in there.

I think Hutton is actually giving us more attacking options since he started to come on to a game. As well as getting forward, he's actually improved his final ball in to the box. So maybe the thinking with Whittaker is that it will allow him and Hutton to both get forward with one covering the other.

I also think Scott Brown could have been the ideal signing, but I guess only time will tell how that decision pans out.

Agree totally Mike we have in fact done nothing to change the structure of the team. We have the same formation as last year. As i see it at this moment it is imperative that Fergie forgets about picking the ball up from Hemdani's feet and starts getting forward. Buffel coming good, Yeh what can i say about that??

Dream dream dream!!!

it is imperative that Fergie forgets about picking the ball up from Hemdani's feet and starts getting forward.

Yeah totally agree Pete, he practically tackles Hemdani for the ball in our own half.

Id like to see Ferguson barely cross into his own half and try to be more attacking but the more a player matures he tends to go towards his own box. Its either that he just sits infront of the back 4 and we do let Buffel try and come good.