The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Now Closed: Zungu signs on loan with option to buy

I reckon our players get devalued because they haven't won anything yet. Perhaps this is justified given the post winter break meltdown the past two seasons. 

Which is worrying me slightly because the pressure is already being lumped on us to stop 10 by the media.

(Note that most media outlets have already moved on from the fact that last season was awarded and not won).

It would be interesting to get everyone's opinion on whether they think our players will be able to handle the pressure this year?

While it's fair to say they haven't won anything yet I wouldn't say they haven't achieved anything. Last 16 of the Europa league from QR1 is an unprecedented achievement. 

Edited by JFK-1

2 minutes ago, Rino said:

It would be interesting to get everyone's opinion on whether they think our players will be able to handle the pressure this year?

The same players? No chance. Many changes will be required, I’d start by appointing a new captain.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

The same players? No chance. Many changes will be required, I’d start by appointing a new captain.

I hear what you are saying Bill, and agree based on last season, however you are not allowing for these players to improve, Hagi, Aribo, Kent all can improve and step up another level, I do still think we need another couple of quality signings, not potential players but quality players who can go straight into the first 11, another striker would be my priority

13 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

While it's fair to say they haven't won anything yet I wouldn't say they haven't achieved anything. Last 16 of the Europa league from QR1 is an unprecedented achievement. 

Fair and totally agree. Although, I tend to think this supports the view that our team are better at being underdogs than handling the pressure of being out in front. 

The difficult thing for our club is that we cannot buy 'winners'. We need to rely on developing players into winners. Whilst I cannot deny the improvement under SG, only time will tell if he is capable of turning our squad into 'winners'...

4 minutes ago, Rino said:

Fair and totally agree. Although, I tend to think this supports the view that our team are better at being underdogs than handling the pressure of being out in front. 

The difficult thing for our club is that we cannot buy 'winners'. We need to rely on developing players into winners. Whilst I cannot deny the improvement under SG, only time will tell if he is capable of turning our squad into 'winners'...

Who outside Scotland is impressed by winning anything in Scotland? Probably no one. What does impress them is Euro success.

3 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I hear what you are saying Bill, and agree based on last season, however you are not allowing for these players to improve, Hagi, Aribo, Kent all can improve and step up another level, I do still think we need another couple of quality signings, not potential players but quality players who can go straight into the first 11, another striker would be my priority

We’re still short on quality but for me a far more worrying aspect has been mental weakness under pressure. Every single season since administration has finished weakly. Whatever the abilities within the various squads, we’ve either limped over the line or chucked it completely. Until that’s addressed I don’t think much else matters.

We don’t smell like winners to me. We need more effective leadership on and off the park and we desperately need more character throughout the team. Jock Wallace knew what he was talking about.

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

And who is better qualified to decide that than captain of Liverpool at 23 Steven Gerrard?

Maybe someone who has won a league title.

I agree with Bill.  We have good footballers but we also need winners.