The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Now Closed: Zungu signs on loan with option to buy

16 hours ago, Bill said:

The core purpose of our football club is to win trophies. The actual contribution of our youth/development players to that objective is negligible That has long been the case. The only reason to devote any resources to younger players is for the purposes of trading. If it was all about developing players for our first team then the only sensible thing to do would be to shut it all down tomorrow morning. If we can't earn a profit from moving them on then we should have shut it down yesterday. Unless anyone actually thinks the future will be different from the past and we will have a first team populated by homegrown talent.

To take that argument to the extreme, then we might as well focus on finding a core of suitable loan players who can win us trophies now and forget about promoting from within. Personally I want us to win with a nucleus of players that we have developed and who have some affinity with the club. I am so glad that we haven't the glut of loanees which we had 2 seasons back.

51 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

To take that argument to the extreme, then we might as well focus on finding a core of suitable loan players who can win us trophies now and forget about promoting from within. Personally I want us to win with a nucleus of players that we have developed and who have some affinity with the club. I am so glad that we haven't the glut of loanees which we had 2 seasons back.

You can want all you like but the reality of experience is that it happens so seldom as to be a complete waste of resources. Any business that continues to invest in something that delivers as little return, for such a large cost, over such a long and sustained period, as youth development at Rangers should be changing its directors. Or do you think the future success of Rangers will be better served by your wishful thinking?

6 hours ago, Bill said:

You can want all you like but the reality of experience is that it happens so seldom as to be a complete waste of resources. Any business that continues to invest in something that delivers as little return, for such a large cost, over such a long and sustained period, as youth development at Rangers should be changing its directors. Or do you think the future success of Rangers will be better served by your wishful thinking?

All football clubs would have been out of business a long time ago if they were run only for profits. How many clubs anywhere continually show positive balance sheets?

1 minute ago, MacK1950 said:

Hopefully spend and not sell.

I'd imagine there will be interest in a few of our players but there's no doubt we need another central midfielder.  That has to be a big priority even with Jack available again and others such as Davis, Kamara and Arfield playing so well.

Undoubtedly going to be a nervous last few days for us before the transfer window closes.

reaching the EL last sixteen & knocking out Galatasaray to reach the EL group stages for the third year in a row won’t have gone unnoticed 

10 hours ago, Frankie said:

I'd imagine there will be interest in a few of our players but there's no doubt we need another central midfielder.  That has to be a big priority even with Jack available again and others such as Davis, Kamara and Arfield playing so well.

Gerrard seems to agree, but I would actually rather see an attacking midfielder brought in. 

In CM, we have Jack, Kamara, Arfield, Aribo, Davis.

In AM, we have Kent, Hagi, Jones, Barker Stewart. You could argue Roofe, but I'm concerned about his injury record.

For me, in centre mid two injuries aren't devastating. In fact we have just made the EL groups with injuries to our two most important centre mids, Aribo and Jack.

Two injuries to your two most important AMs would leave you with Jones and Barker/Stewart.

We need more quality on the bench surely. Some games really suit Kent and not Hagi. Others suit Hagi and not Kent. If you had a quality AM on the bench you could bring him on when it's clear things just aren't working for one of those two.

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

If you had a quality AM on the bench you could bring him on when it's clear things just aren't working for one of those two.

I do appreciate that Jones deserves a chance, but for me not as our first sub in that position. The reality is that he would be starting every game if Kent got injured and I don't think he has shown that he could handle that.