The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Now Closed: Zungu signs on loan with option to buy

7 hours ago, craig said:

Well, according to Wilshere himself those injury stats are incorrect.  May 31, 2020 to now is just over 4 months - Wilshere says he has been fully fit for 8 months.

They probably aren't entirely accurate, but you just need to look at the list to realise he's way too fragile. I can't see how we'd afford his wages and also be prepared to take on the risk unless we got him on a pay per play deal, but given our past with those I can't see that happening either.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

I think Wilshere would be a risk to the cohesion and spirit of the squad and that's the last thing we need.

Surely our players -and managerial, coaching and ancillary staff- are professional enough to deal with a classy player joining the ranks.

On his day, Wilshere is one of the best midfield players in world football, IMO. Unfortunately, he's not hit that peak in quite some time. 

His injury record is really bad - and added to that, the lad likes a drag. ? 

He'll be on huge wages, but if West Ham are footing the majority, it won't be that big an issue. A pay-as-you-play deal would be wise.

I feel if troubled players just get stability and to feel wanted, they can be rejuvenated, which he could get here. 

I'd be delighted to get Wilshere, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

(I've been burned in the past... Oh, sweet Josh...)

12 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

On his day, Wilshere is one of the best midfield players in world football, IMO. Unfortunately, he's not hit that peak in quite some time. 

His injury record is really bad - and added to that, the lad likes a drag. ? 

He'll be on huge wages, but if West Ham are footing the majority, it won't be that big an issue. A pay-as-you-play deal would be wise.

I feel if troubled players just get stability and to feel wanted, they can be rejuvenated, which he could get here. 

I'd be delighted to get Wilshere, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

(I've been burned in the past... Oh, sweet Josh...)

From what I can gather, WHU paid Wilshere off, with a stunning 85% of his outstanding contract, in a settlement comprising a mixture of cash and Woodbines. 

Hence he is a free agent. 

He may fancy playing for SG, at a "Big Club". 

Any deal, however, would have to have break clauses, in favour of the Club. 

27 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

From what I can gather, WHU paid Wilshere off, with a stunning 85% of his outstanding contract, in a settlement comprising a mixture of cash and Woodbines. 

Hence he is a free agent. 

He may fancy playing for SG, at a "Big Club". 

Any deal, however, would have to have break clauses, in favour of the Club. 

Absolutely spot on. The 2 reoccurring negative comments on here are his wages and his injury record. His injury history is not great I'll admit, but the biggest part of that has been corrective ankle surgery. Very unfortunate but not unusual.  We have a good medical team who can assess the risk. He will NOT be demanding a Premier League salary from us. He has walked away from West Ham with a huge pay off.  This is a proven England international with 32 caps in centre midfield, European football experience in abundance looking to re-establish himself at a "Big Club". Is that not worth the risk? One final thing. Can someone explain to me in what way he is a risk to the cohesion and spirit  of the squad? Is he a close friend of Joey Barton??

The signing of Zungu made it 2 players to each of the 3 midfield positions. Why would we do that if we were just about to sign Wilshere on what would be a big contract? We probably enquired but maybe Zungu was left late because he was the backup. Signing both just doesn't make sense so I don't believe it.

Edited by DMAA

12 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The signing of Zungu made it 2 players to each of the 3 midfield positions. Why would we do that if we were just about to sign Wilshere on what would be a big contract? We probably enquired but maybe Zungu was left late because he was the backup. Signing both just doesn't make sense so I don't believe it.

Would you be saying the same if Messi was available? 'We've got Barker and Jones for that right-sided spot - on your bike, Lionel!'

It's Jack Wilshere.

Wilshere was released quite late - certainly, we'd been in talks with Zungu for quite a while, so he's not a 'back-up'.

I think Wilshere  -- if the rumours are true -- just represents an opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Speaking hypothetically now. If he was prepared to play for nothing would you still say no? I really don't think this is about a Big Contract! If he came here it is not about money. It's about rebuilding a career wrecked by injury. Many people on here were bemoaning the fact we did not sign another AM. Well, perhaps we can get one for low / no cost? A fully fit and functioning Jack Wilshere would enhance our chances of silverware imo!

14 hours ago, Uilleam said:

West Ham signed him, remember, and he has been a free agent only since yesterday, or the day before. 

West Ham signed him over 2 years ago but have literally just paid him to leave, they couldn't even find a club to loan him too. He's been available for months, him being released by West Ham didn't come as a surprise to him or his agent, clubs have known he's been available for a while. 

I accept at one time he was a very talented player, but it's difficult to judge if he still is as he's played so little football. Clearly West Ham don't think he is. Gerrard strikes me as being something of a taskmaster, demanding in terms of application and attitude as well as ability. We'll just have to wait and see if whether Wilshire has any of those attributes these days.