The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Now Closed: Zungu signs on loan with option to buy

27 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

West Ham signed him over 2 years ago but have literally just paid him to leave, they couldn't even find a club to loan him too. He's been available for months, him being released by West Ham didn't come as a surprise to him or his agent, clubs have known he's been available for a while. 

I accept at one time he was a very talented player, but it's difficult to judge if he still is as he's played so little football. Clearly West Ham don't think he is. Gerrard strikes me as being something of a taskmaster, demanding in terms of application and attitude as well as ability. We'll just have to wait and see if whether Wilshire has any of those attributes these days. 

Moyes clearly did not want him. Whether that is more to do with Wilshere or that Manager is open to at least some conjecture.

I think that other Clubs were unwilling to take over his high salary, or pay a high fee and/or signing on payment.

Hence WHU had to do a Martin Bain. Ouch!

He is now available as a free agent, and, probably (I cannot be sure), looking to resurrect a once stellar career.

As I said, more or less, in a previous post, I think that he is worth looking at and putting through his paces.

Obviously, the financial aspects, and contractual niceties would require to be understood, in principle, if, by necessity, perhaps somewhat sketchily, before putting him under the scrutiny of our coaches, medics, physios, etc, and not forgetting, as there seems to be some doubt about his impact on the collective mind and will of the dressing room,  the acute psycho-social analysis of our kit man, and our senior players.

Signing him is a risk, but it is really a question of understanding, and minimising, that uncertainty, and its potential impact on the club, before even considering committing to a contract. 

Of course, if he pitches up to Auchenhowie,  trains and plays like a dog, and upsets the playing and other staff, all bets will be off. 

It would be disappointing, but few will lose sleep. Michael Stewart might commiserate. 

Edited by Uilleam

8 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

and not forgetting, as there seems to be some doubt about his impact on the collective mind and will of the dressing room,  the acute psycho-social analysis of our kit man, and our senior players. 

Of course, if he pitches up to Auchenhowie,  trains and plays like a dog, and upsets the playing and other staff, all bets will be off. 

It would be disappointing, but few will lose sleep. Michael Stewart might commiserate. 

If we do sign him Jimmy Bell will have a field day with the letter pressing on the back of his shirt! Wiltshire, Willshire, Wilsheer, .... the possibilties are endless! ?

Is your last comment a reference to a certain Mr Barton? Will Jack leave with his coffee machine tucked under his arm in disgrace??

C'mon let's sign him be worth it to see the man in the white sannies grinding his teeth!?

Great post sir!:clap:

33 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

If he were signing for celtic, would we worry? No.

I would be concerned, because I would assume -in the absence of evidence that it was merely a vanity or  g i r u y  signing- that JW was fit, and firing, and ready to rock and roll. 

In that condition, the fhilth would have a top notch midfielder. 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Would you be saying the same if Messi was available? 'We've got Barker and Jones for that right-sided spot - on your bike, Lionel!'

It's Jack Wilshere.

Wilshere was released quite late - certainly, we'd been in talks with Zungu for quite a while, so he's not a 'back-up'.

I think Wilshere  -- if the rumours are true -- just represents an opportunity. 

2 hours ago, Ted McMinnime said:

Speaking hypothetically now. If he was prepared to play for nothing would you still say no? I really don't think this is about a Big Contract! If he came here it is not about money. It's about rebuilding a career wrecked by injury. Many people on here were bemoaning the fact we did not sign another AM. Well, perhaps we can get one for low / no cost? A fully fit and functioning Jack Wilshere would enhance our chances of silverware imo!

I didn’t say I didn’t want him, I said I didn’t believe the link because it didn’t make sense to me that we would sign Zungu when, realistically, Wilshere didn’t just suddenly become available as @JohnMc says. If there is truth in the links we would have been aware before Monday that he was negotiating a release. 

15 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I didn’t say I didn’t want him, I said I didn’t believe the link because it didn’t make sense to me that we would sign Zungu when, realistically, Wilshere didn’t just suddenly become available as @JohnMc says. If there is truth in the links we would have been aware before Monday that he was negotiating a release. 

He didn't become footloose and fancy free until Monday, it seems. No point in pursuing him until he achieved that status. We would have to have dealt with WHU, actually. 

He presents an opportunity, potentially golden,  but one that has to be carefully assayed. 

Get him up here and stress tested, sez I. 

Edited by Uilleam

3 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Surely our players -and managerial, coaching and ancillary staff- are professional enough to deal with a classy player joining the ranks.

You're probably right, I shouldn't have raised the point.