The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Now Closed: Zungu signs on loan with option to buy

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

Aye but Craig, one the we can be certain of is they wouldn't be paying whatever he brings to replace him. Then even if they were that good they simply still couldn't be as fully effective.

Pure, unadulterated conjecture and speculation.  Which is fine, but don't present it as factual when it clearly isnt, right ?  :rolleyes:

Whatever; que sera...etc...

However, let's hope that Club is not caught with its dick its hand, on the last day of the transfer window, when, as everybody knows, it 'slams shut'.  The pain of that is, well, eye watering.

Edited by Uilleam

9 hours ago, Dave M609 said:

Really hope that isn't the case, hopefully with Milan and Sevilla interested as well, they can drive up the price a bit and we can get a deal done quickly, didn't want it to have to come to transfer requests etc.

Thought he said he didn’t want to leave by the back door? 

For a brief few weeks, Jones had the fan base asking “Ryan who?”  If anybody remembers that, it wasn’t long ago. 
It could also be argued that we have already replaced Alfredo with a strike partnership of Roofe and Itten, and don’t forget our top goal scorer from last season is back soon. 
I am playing devil’s advocate here but, we could still be very capable of challenging, with up to £35m in the bank   allowing us to bring in the last piece of the jigsaw - a dynamic attacking midfielder. Quids in if all goes well. 
If not, a kitty is available to bankroll the next manager. 
FWIW, I’d prefer to keep Kent and Morelos and find that AM, but I could see it go completely the other way. 

3 hours ago, craig said:

So it's ok for you to speculate but I shoudn't bother to rebut your speculation ?

Which part of Scotland getting two CL participants next season is speculation ?

He hasnt developed THAT much since he signed for Rangers last season.  Come on, that is just fanboy stuff.  Is he a better player ?  I am still not convinced.  The start of this season he has scored more but few assists - are there signs he has improved ?  Sure, but on very few games this season.  I don't think he has improved significantly since signing - he still makes poor decisions and his final product still can be lacking.

You also state that the side "will be weakened if he leaves" - that, again, is pure conjecture because none of us know who would replace him.  It isnt as if he is Messi where  ANY team would be weakened by losing him.  You also don't need to be "fantastically lucky" to get someone of equivalent quality - you just need a recruitment department that knows the market.  Everything in that paragraph is pure conjecture.  I get that you want him to stay, as do I, but it doesnt man=ke him some world beater that can't be replaced.

It is my view we shouldnt be weakening the side either but, unlike you, I would reserve judgement until we saw who Kent's replacement were, should that time actually come.

Gerrard is no different to any other manager - he will ultimately have to deal with the cards his Board deal him, or walk.  The Board will decide whether to sell Kent or not, dependent on the financial side of it.  Gerrard cannot stop that.  Lest we forget that, as of yet, Gerrard hasnt won anything as a manager.  

Either way it is pointless continuing - we clearly will have to agree to disagree - you think Kent is irreplaceable whilst I believe that he can be replaced, though it is a risk.

So it's ok for you to counter speculate, but I shouldn't  rebut your counter speculation without you coming across as offended about it? 

You also state that the side wont necessarily be weakened if he goes. That again is pure conjecture because none of us know who would replace him. I think speculating that replacing him with significantly less money than the selling price, while getting a player who will be just as effective, is overly optimistic speculation. Aren't I supposed to be the ultimate optimist around here?

Everything you're proposing regarding replacing Kent for less money is pure conjecture. It typically doesn't surprise anybody when an incomer takes time to fit in. A significant chunk of time. Barisic comes to mind as a perfect example.  

I suspect that Leeds have a recruitment department too. Who if they haven't found this equivalent for a lot less money should be replaced? But their priorities are likely different. They're looking for something closer to a finished product and are ready to pay the price for it. We on the other hand look to find young potential and coach it up to a valuable more polished product.  

And since this is such an important season for the fans, where the outcome of a single game could ultimately decide the title, I see no reason to risk it by cashing in on a key player who still has 3 years of his contract to run.

I also see no reason to bring the fact Gerrad hasn't yet won anything into it. He inherited a shambles that couldn't even secure a second place in the league. Or even a second round in Euro qualifiers against minnows who had never won a Euro tie in 13 previous attempts.

And was thrown up against an entity with a significant financial advantage. His work while not returning silverware has earned the club tens of millions while putting a far superior side to that he inherited on the field.

Further reasonable speculation is that Kent would never have been in Scotland at all if not for Gerrard. When he signed permanently last year he was rebelling at Liverpool while indicating that Rangers were his only desired destination.

I doubt that was because he was so enamoured of Rangers alone. More likely a Gerrard led Rangers. A man who was legendary at his parent club and had previously coached him there. And I doubt he's the only one who wouldn't be at Rangers if not for Gerrard.

I don't think he can be effectively instantly replaced in a season where every single point may be crucial. It's not speculation that he's a key component of this side. That's a fact. Steven Gerrard comes across as concerned about the prospect of losing Kent. And since he knows a lot more about football and this team than you or I ever will, i'm concerned too.

Stating Kent can be replaced for someone who will immediately be as effective for what's likely to be a lot less money in this crucial season where very point is precious is, I would argue, overly optimistic speculation.  It's too much of a risk in this season of all seasons.

It would appear we will have to agree to disagree, and that's fine. But i'm not going to tell you it's pointless continuing. That's your choice not mine to make for you. Such constructive debate addressing points is what it's all about it. If you want to continue it I wont get bent out of shape about it. 

Glasgow Rangers: Celtic enter the race for Gers target Riquelme

According to Mundo Deportivo (via Sport Witness) ?  , Glasgow Rangers target Rodrigo Riquelme is now being pursued by Celtic.

The Gers have been linked to the Atletico Madrid youngster over the past few months alongside a host of clubs in Europe. 

Now, it is being reported that their fierce city rivals are interested in signing the 20-year-old. He has a contract until June 2021, which means that he would unlikely cost a fortune. 

If the Ibrox outfit are really interested in signing Riquelme this is certainly not a deal they would like to see go through. The winger has made just two senior appearances for Los Rojiblancos, but if the likes of Ajax are eyeing him, there must be something about him.

His performances in the UEFA Youth League, in which he scored twice and provided four assists in seven matches, are the biggest indicator that this is a promising talent. As it stands, Ryan Kent is Steven Gerrard’s number one choice on the left, but a back-up option would certainly not go amiss.

The speculation linking the Gers to £2.07m-valued Riquelme – as per Transfermarkt – has died down recently, but it will be interesting to see whether this latest report sees the 54-time Scottish champions revive their interest.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/rangers-fc-transfer-rumours/glasgow-rangers-rival-interest-riquelme/

image.gif

17 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

So it's ok for you to counter speculate, but I shouldn't  rebut your counter speculation without you coming across as offended about it? 

You also state that the side wont necessarily be weakened if he goes. That again is pure conjecture because none of us know who would replace him. I think speculating that replacing him with significantly less money than the selling price, while getting a player who will be just as effective, is overly optimistic speculation. Aren't I supposed to be the ultimate optimist around here?

Everything you're proposing regarding replacing Kent for less money is pure conjecture. It typically doesn't surprise anybody when an incomer takes time to fit in. A significant chunk of time. Barisic comes to mind as a perfect example.  

I suspect that Leeds have a recruitment department too. Who if they haven't found this equivalent for a lot less money should be replaced? But their priorities are likely different. They're looking for something closer to a finished product and are ready to pay the price for it. We on the other hand look to find young potential and coach it up to a valuable more polished product.  

And since this is such an important season for the fans, where the outcome of a single game could ultimately decide the title, I see no reason to risk it by cashing in on a key player who still has 3 years of his contract to run.

I also see no reason to bring the fact Gerrad hasn't yet won anything into it. He inherited a shambles that couldn't even secure a second place in the league. Or even a second round in Euro qualifiers against minnows who had never won a Euro tie in 13 previous attempts.

And was thrown up against an entity with a significant financial advantage. His work while not returning silverware has earned the club tens of millions while putting a far superior side to that he inherited on the field.

Further reasonable speculation is that Kent would never have been in Scotland at all if not for Gerrard. When he signed permanently last year he was rebelling at Liverpool while indicating that Rangers were his only desired destination.

I doubt that was because he was so enamoured of Rangers alone. More likely a Gerrard led Rangers. A man who was legendary at his parent club and had previously coached him there. And I doubt he's the only one who wouldn't be at Rangers if not for Gerrard.

I don't think he can be effectively instantly replaced in a season where every single point may be crucial. It's not speculation that he's a key component of this side. That's a fact. Steven Gerrard comes across as concerned about the prospect of losing Kent. And since he knows a lot more about football and this team than you or I ever will, i'm concerned too.

Stating Kent can be replaced for someone who will immediately be as effective for what's likely to be a lot less money in this crucial season where very point is precious is, I would argue, overly optimistic speculation.  It's too much of a risk in this season of all seasons.

It would appear we will have to agree to disagree, and that's fine. But i'm not going to tell you it's pointless continuing. That's your choice not mine to make for you. Such constructive debate addressing points is what it's all about it. If you want to continue it I wont get bent out of shape about it. 

I'm offended ?  lol.  I've heard it all now.  I would say amused far more than offended.

Round and round and round we go.

I never posted anything and used it as if it were fact.  You did.  Just a couple off the top of my head is that losing Kent means we are weaker, without considering the possibility of a replacement who may be even better.  Then there was the catching up of Celtic by getting a crack at the CL, when in actual fact Scotland gets two slots in the CL next year so us obtaining the top spot doesnt mean they dont  get the same opportunity.  That's just off the top of my head.

How does that logic even work that replacing him with significantly less than the selling price gives you inferior quality ?  He is virtually the same player who we paid £6.5 million for.  Just because Leeds may be willing to pay £14 million doesnt mean that to get the same quality you need to spend the same amount.  That's naive logic.

I didnt say we would replace Kent with someone of similar quality - I said it COULD be done.  And therein lies the difference between you and me - you consider the incumbents to all be crucial, without any consideration that there may be other, better, more suitable alternatives out there and perhaps even cheaper.  Whereas I reserve judgement - Barcelona spent £130 million on Coutinho and yet Ansu Fati gets more game time than him, a La Masia graduate..... that's my point.  Players will come and they will go.  I am not going to put ANY of them on a perch when they can easily fall from it.

Aside from that i am not responding further because a) it takes away from what this thread is supposedly about and b) you have a need to have the last word and all your words do is, as I said, go round and round and round stating the same thing multiple ways.  Its tedious and tiresome.

16 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Celtic's interest i Riqeulme was mentioned not long after ours was dB.  He played against us in the Youth CL and was far and away the best player on the pitch in our home game.  The lad can play, that's for sure.  I wouldnt like to see us lose him to them but I doubt either of us will get him - some EPL clubs, and La Liga, will undoubtedly be prepared to offer him a contract.

39 minutes ago, craig said:

He played against us in the Youth CL and was far and away the best player on the pitch

He looked like a future star.  I'd be very surprised to see him play in Scottish football.