The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Now Closed: Zungu signs on loan with option to buy

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

I’m not seeing it with this Zungu guy at all. We don’t need another defensive midfielder.

Perhaps we do if we're in the process of selling one or more players from that department. I'm sure there are many thing's we don't see.

24 minutes ago, Bill said:

Perhaps we do if we're in the process of selling one or more players from that department. I'm sure there are many thing's we don't see.

We seem to be overloaded in some parts of the squad & very light in others. A bit worrying considering that the new season starts on Saturday 

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

We seem to be overloaded in some parts of the squad & very light in others. A bit worrying considering that the new season starts on Saturday 

Yes but the transfer window will still be open for a long  time yet and given the state of the world right now it's hardly surprising that we would want to keep at least some of our powder dry.

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

This doesn't bode well for the rest of 2020 - @ian1964 has just corrected failed embedded tweet! 

It used to work for me by pasting into the comment box on an iPhone but it stopped about 6 months ago ?

13 hours ago, DMAA said:

I’m not seeing it with this Zungu guy at all. We don’t need another defensive midfielder. I wouldn’t mind another centre midfielder but only if he was attack minded, sorry to say it but a centre midfielder who could contribute creatively in the way that Calum McGregor does. 

I really hope we sign an attacking midfielder though. We can’t go into yet another season relying on Kent. He doesn’t have the end product we need and isn’t good enough to break down deep lying defences. 

Very happy with Hagi, Aribo and Jack though. Those guys are at the level we need. 

I actually see him as a box-to-box player, rather than a DM. He's actually played in numerous positions: DM (31), CM (61), and AM (28) -- and even 20 games as a Left-winger!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bongani-zungu/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/240892

I see the benefit in bringing more energy to one of those wide central midfield roles we use.  

I'd like to see anther attacking midfielder too - or, at least after a couple of forwards. 

I think Osijek have been playing a 3-4-3, so Maric has experience of playing in a front three, or with a central striker with a couple playing off him. He actually looks like he's played off the main striker too, which is strange but impressive. 

10 hours ago, Bill said:

My opinions always carry those caveats, I am also relying on YouTube highlights and making judgements on what he has achieved by his age which might not be fair. 

I felt last season above all we were exposed as simply less creative than Celtic, or possessing less overall quality in the attacking third. There was definitely a mental element to it too but that was the primary issue. One of the positions I felt could have been improved at times was the one beside Jack. Davis was excellent for a good bit of the season but going into this season I felt a creative player in that position with the energy to burst forward and score himself (like McGregor, sorry) could have been a game changer. If he even signs, maybe Zungu will do that. But from the very little I’ve seen and heard about him he seems more a player who wins the ball and moves it on. 

8 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I actually see him as a box-to-box player, rather than a DM. He's actually played in numerous positions: DM (31), CM (61), and AM (28) -- and even 20 games as a Left-winger!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bongani-zungu/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/240892

I see the benefit in bringing more energy to one of those wide central midfield roles we use.  

I'd like to see anther attacking midfielder too - or, at least after a couple of forwards. 

Yes by all accounts he is an energetic box to box player.