The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Now Closed: Zungu signs on loan with option to buy

44 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

Dude...I am reading stuff about 14M...that kinda scratch is hard to say no to. If they are offering that kinda money...yeah.

While I agree 14 million is an interesting sum there are many more factors to be considered. First are Leeds likely to offer what he's really worth? Hardly, no one does. They try to get a bargain price and that's fair enough. We would too.

And presuming these reports are accurate, the fact they have jumped from 10 million all the way to 14 million in just a week demonstrates perfectly they're playing that game. They're trying to get a young player who still hasn't reached peak potential, and who they obviously regard as EPL standard, for a relative pittance in EPL transfer fee terms.

Further factors. The club earned an estimated £18 million in Europe last season. What would be of more value? Keeping Kent to help achieve that Euro money again? Or selling him off which could be detrimental to achieving that aim again?

And of course we're at the beginning of a key SPL season. I don't need to go into the details of what's at stake, everybody knows them. The fact the manager himself has publicly indicated he is more than keen to keep Kent, while simultaneously bemoaning the fact it could be taken out of his hands, indicates to me he sees Kent as crucial to the league campaign and more.

And let's put aside the well known stakes of the season ahead. And further presume that Kent is crucial to winning the league which may be supported by the managers view of it. Aside from all the well known factors at stake this season, what else may be at stake?

Well what may be at stake is a crack at the Champions League and a potential 50 to £60 million windfall. A sum that could put us on a level financial field with them for the first time in years.

If Kent goes we're not replacing him with equivalent quality. The team is weakened in this crucial season. And with all that in mind and taking into consideration at least as much and potentially even more could be realised for him next year, my view is why do it now. when he's contracted till 2023.

42 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

While I agree 14 million is an interesting sum there are many more factors to be considered. First are Leeds likely to offer what he's really worth? Hardly, no one does. They try to get a bargain price and that's fair enough. We would too.

And presuming these reports are accurate, the fact they have jumped from 10 million all the way to 14 million in just a week demonstrates perfectly they're playing that game. They're trying to get a young player who still hasn't reached peak potential, and who they obviously regard as EPL standard, for a relative pittance in EPL transfer fee terms.

Further factors. The club earned an estimated £18 million in Europe last season. What would be of more value? Keeping Kent to help achieve that Euro money again? Or selling him off which could be detrimental to achieving that aim again?

And of course we're at the beginning of a key SPL season. I don't need to go into the details of what's at stake, everybody knows them. The fact the manager himself has publicly indicated he is more than keen to keep Kent, while simultaneously bemoaning the fact it could be taken out of his hands, indicates to me he sees Kent as crucial to the league campaign and more.

And let's put aside the well known stakes of the season ahead. And further presume that Kent is crucial to winning the league which may be supported by the managers view of it. Aside from all the well known factors at stake this season, what else may be at stake?

Well what may be at stake is a crack at the Champions League and a potential 50 to £60 million windfall. A sum that could put us on a level financial field with them for the first time in years.

If Kent goes we're not replacing him with equivalent quality. The team is weakened in this crucial season. And with all that in mind and taking into consideration at least as much and potentially even more could be realised for him next year, my view is why do it now. when he's contracted till 2023.

Hey...you're preaching to the choir...no disagreements from me man. A ton of upside. He is off to a great start. He scores against the pedos. He takes zero shit from anyone. Love the kid.

Kent IS crucial...especially with Fredo probably off to wherever.

I don't think we could replace him quickly though...and money doesn't mean shit if they take the title again.

IDK though man...it's a long run till this window closes and if numbers like 14M are already poppin up...them waters are gonna get awfully hot...that frog might jump.

If the good lord's willin and the creek don't rise...he will be with us raising 55!

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

1.  The CL statement is a red herring because next season Scotland get two participants.  So BOTH us and then would have a crack at the CL.  Us winning the league won’t prevent them from having the same crack at the league.  Not only is it a red herring but I doubt the veracity of us getting “£50 to £60 million” from CL revenues.  More likely to be half that amount.

2.  You categorically state that we “won’t replace him with equivalent quality”.  Neither you nor I know that to be the case.  There are certainly gems to be had, which is where the scouting team come into play.

Sure, Kent May be seen as vital to our chances of success this season by Gerrard, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t someone else out there who could be an even bigger contributor.

3.  Any player is worth what a) another team are willing to pay and b) what the selling team are willing to accept.  But you obviously know that.  Who knows what value Leeds have on him but it’s also naive to think that we aren’t also playing the game.  We will likely have an acceptable number to part ways with the lad but are Leeds willing to stretch that far, whatever that number is ?

4.  The problem with your Europa League analysis (£18 million revenue) is that keeping Kent is no guarantee to those revenues again but selling him for, say, £20 million is a guaranteed £13 million profit, reducing the necessity for Europa League revenues.

do I want to see Kent go ?  No, I personally like the fact that he always gives everything he has, he’s direct, pacy, skillful and so far this season is actually producing an end product by way of goals (long may it continue).  However, if we were to double our money on him and use the that money to find a replacement for him and also get the creative, box to box midfielder we crave then I’d reluctantly be willing to let the lad go.

The beauty of being just fans.... we don’t get to be the ones to make these very difficult decisions ?

I think you're pretty much simply replacing my speculation with the attached non certainty with your own speculation carrying the same non certainty. Can I be guaranteed they couldn't replace him with someone of equivalent quality? Not certain but I think I have fair reason to be more confident than otherwise that they couldn't.

He didn't arrive at Ibrox the player he is now. He developed into it with coaching, experience, and ongoing physical maturity. Can you guarantee that he could be replaced like for like with his current level of quality/effectiveness? I would think not.

He's the product of a couple of years work. This isn't the time to be starting over with another 20/21 year old who would most likely have to be worked through the same process over a couple of years to reach the same level. 

Can we be guaranteed we will qualify for Euro group stages again with him in the side? It's never certain but what is certain is that it can only be more difficult to do so when the side is weakened. Which it will be if he goes and can't be replaced with equivalent quality. Which all things being equal has to more unlikely than otherwise.

And with the additional problem that even if we were fantastically lucky and replaced him with equivalent quality and effectiveness for a fraction of the selling price. Because I think one thing we can be certain of is that they wouldn't be paying whatever he brings to replace him. Then even if they were that good they simply still couldn't be as fully effective at a time when every single match is crucial.

He has two years experience in this team, playing with many of these players, alongside two years experience of the Scottish league. That's something that pretty much cannot be instantly replaced at all. It's simply the wrong time to be considering letting him go unless they were offering ridiculous money that simply cannot be refused. And 14 million isn't that.

To maintain the model of buying young potential as cheaply as possible then coaching it to sell at a far higher price the chances of selling him while not weakening the side in this massively important season have to be considered remote.

To summarise, in my view this is not the time to be weakening this side, and especially so by releasing such a key player who still has almost 3 years on his contract.

As for being fans who don't have to make these decisions, I would rather be a fan than the one who had to tell Gerrard Kent was being sold. He has strongly hinted he feels pretty much as I do. And I doubt he would take such news with good grace.

I'd like to think the scouting team are already seeking out a potential replacement for Kent.

The English transfer market is totally over-inflated, so the money we could get for Kent might fund a replacement for him, fund the purchase of a dynamic midfielder and give us some profit, if we can find them overseas.

49 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'd like to think the scouting team are already seeking out a potential replacement for Kent.

The English transfer market is totally over-inflated, so the money we could get for Kent might fund a replacement for him, fund the purchase of a dynamic midfielder and give us some profit, if we can find them overseas.

This is our route to success. Selling at over-inflated prices to England and spending the money more prudently in markets across the continent. Until we make the UCL groups this the only way we can significantly improve our finances, and therefore first team. 

What I take from this is the profound change in Rangers' approach to player trading. I take heart from the fact there appears to be an intent to maximise any deal in our own favour - a major change from the shambles we've watched for many years.

Very few players are willing to commit to a club like Rangers. In almost 60 years as a supporter I've seen many good players come and go. Kent will be no different. If he leaves, someone will take his place. The only thing I expect is that any deal is done in the interests of Rangers.

8 hours ago, CammyF said:

Nor is there any evidence that there isn't one. 

Yes but that's an entirely spurious argument since I don't see anyone claiming the absence of a release clause. If you're going to assert there IS a release clause then you need to be able to substantiate it. But you can't so it's just rumour and gossip. No?