Tactics for 20/21 season

Right lads your all up to speed on the modern formations so what way would you like to see the Rangers play next season , one up front , two up top or what would you like wingers  or would you prefer just one centre half as opposed to the two that most teams favour let's hear what you would like to see .

I'm sure like us all we've tried dissecting wtf went wrong. I'm kind of in the camp that we have a mentality to chase purely off the evidence that when we get the upper hand we've quickly given it up. 

When we look at how we were before the break with most of the team in form the system was doing well. 

Then we all know what happened... 

So I think there's a couple of answers to this. We need a plan B and C when facing 2 buses but we also need 2 or 3 real quality players with influence. Men that are going to drag the ones around them though the game but can also project a calming influence which I think if you get that can spread to the crowd and ease a little of the tension. 

Not easy players to find granted but unless the current crop grown into it fairly quickly then we'll have to bring them in. 

4 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Probably a 4-2-3-1 formation, particularly given we've signed Hagi.

Failing that, 4-3-3, which seems to me to work better than the 4-3-2-1 that was used a lot last season.

Took the words out of my mouth. No need for a 4-3-2-1. The only quiz is who do you play on the right of the 3 behind the striker? Id push Aribo further forward and its Arfield that makes way.

At home we should definitely be changing it up, we don't need the three in midfield, one of them could be sacrificed for another striker or a 10, hopefully now Hagi is here that will be the case. I think Kent plays better hugging the touchline as well instead of starting centrally as a 10, although he can be effective coming inside as well, I think we need to make 3 or 4 signings of significant quality, 2 midfielders, one winger and one striker. As blue Dan has already said, we need players that can influence the game when the chips are down and we don't have that just now, we are ok when we are cruising or confidence is high, but when its not the ball is like a hot potato, none of the midfield want it and it inevitably goes long, and unless you have a target man to hold up the ball we lose it and it comes back, so we are always chasing the game. We can't rely solely on Morelos for goals either, other folk need to chip in, its no coincidence that our form fell off a cliff when Morelos was suspended, even though it is amazing that we have Defoe here, he is not suited to that type of game either, if we are going long he needs someone beside him and he isn't getting any younger. I honestly believe it would be a different storey if we had won the league cup in December, just winning a cup would have set us up for the rest of the season.

But at home 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 and away 4-3-3 (maybe not as narrow though, teams sit in against us and the middle is usually crowded so I'm surprised we play with two 10's) or 4-4-2

Midfielder 1 (Anchorman / Ball winning midfielder)  As much as I hate to say it, an equivalent to Scott Brown, someone that breaks up the play, has a calming influence and can dictate the play, doesn't have to be the best footballer, just someone who can do that job effectively, shinnie done a similar job for Aberdeen but I don't think he is good enough for us

Midfielder 2 (Box to Box) - someone that will break the lines and support the strikers if need be, a midfield of Kamara, Jack and Davis are to lightweight and won't do that. Closest I can think to that would be someone like Stuart Armstrong, again tall, strong, loads of energy willing to get back and forward and chip in with a goal, I have no idea where we would find someone like that though who isn't really expensive

Winger - A traditional winger that can get down the line and get a cross in, although I wouldn't be opposed to a Raumdeuter type player (like Thomas Muller at Munich). 

Striker (Target Man) - Someone that can hold up the play if we need to go long and bring players like Defoe and Hagi in to the game. Ideal would be Artem Dzyuba, free, probably a lot in wages however, absolute beast though, strong as an Ox and a leader (Russian Captain). Others, I have seen a striker from Belgium called Roman Yaremchuk, again tall, strong and fast (from YouTube), reminds me of Cousin a wee bit and can play the Raumdeuter role as well, might be a bit expensive though. Dykes would be a good option as well but he isn't a starter for me, would be more of a squad filler.

We do need different options to mix it up a bit

I was actually going to make a similar post, @Dave M609

(Firstly, I dislike the 4-4-2 and a target-man -- at least traditionally; a wide target-man is more interesting to me, e.g Mandzukic. I like forwards that are mobile, that can come deep but more importantly stretch play.)

I think 4-2-3-1 suits two of our best players, in Kent and Hagi. 

The other wide position, though, I didn't like the sound of another 'winger' -- too easy to deal with, and doesn't help the one up top. I was thinking of another forward for that position, who could come inside to make it two at times and help create. A player like Mandzukic at Juventus. I think Kamberi can play there -- and deserves to play, going by his most recent performances. (Is he still with us?  I do hope we sign him up permanently.) Kamberi also suits the Raumdeuter role too. 

I like the idea of Jack sitting, with Aribo next to him as a box-to-box player; allowing him to use his ball wining ability alongside a license to get forward at times. 

I think we'll need width on the right from Tavernier, with Barisic staying back a little more -- he has a good deep cross, anyway, and it maybe opens up a long shot at times. 

I like the 4-3-2-1, but I don't think it suits Kent. I would drop him for those games where it's employed. It needs someone else to play alongside Hagi. We could even bring in a forward, changing it to a 4-3-1-2-type formation.

Pre New year - nothing was wrong.

As Gonzo say - get it together after new year.

I love SG but he needs to start implementing his hardness rather that just showing it. I dont want to start bashing Arfield but come one - how bad was he in so many games?

4-2-3-1 worked as long as Alfredo was banging them in. The whole system, for the best part of two season, rested on him scoring the goals. The "impact" from attacking midfield was far too low and inconsistent to whittle away the brickwall-brigade. Especially against teams that dug in, our attackers were easily swamped and coverd by 2 or more players and there were hardly people stepping in from midfield and running into spaces or produce some end products. Arfield here and there, Kent here and there, Aribo ... even Jack. But these people need to hit double figures or at least hit when Alfredo does not.

There is no doubt that 4-2-3-1 works well enough against opposition that likes to play more open, but as I said before, at home against the brickwall-brigade, a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 / 3-1-4-2 should be considered. 

Edited by der Berliner