Barry Ferguson has called for Rangers signing targets Lee McCulloch and Steven Naismith to be patient as they wait for possible transfers to Ibrox.

The Gers captain told the club website: "I had the same experience trying to get back to Rangers from Blackburn and it seemed to drag on forever.

"I know they are both desperate to come here but they have to be patient.

"They need to be professional and continue to work hard and hopefully everything can be sorted out."

Rangers boss Walter Smith hopes to add both players to his new-look squad before the start of the new season, with Champions League qualifying on 31 July.

And although the Glasgow club have brought in seven new faces - Alan Gow, Kirk Broadfoot, Jean-Claude Darcheville, DaMarcus Beasley, Graeme Smith, Carlos Cuellar and Roy Carroll - so far this summer, Ferguson feels even more strength in depth is required.

"We have got the right man for the job now in Walter Smith and I'm sure he'll bring in the right players.

We have not got the biggest of squads, it's important we get players in

Barry Ferguson

"I'm sure the manager knows himself he still needs three or four players, it's whether he can get them.

"We have not got the biggest of squads, it's important we get players in," added the Scotland captain.

"That's what the gaffer stressed when he came in - he wanted competition for every place.

"Certainly the players that have come in look the part and it would be great if we could add another two or three."

Rangers travel to Germany this week and play their first pre-season friendly against FC Gutersloh on 13 July, before facing SV Lippstadt and Hannover 96 on 15 and 17 July respectively.

I've highlighted a bit in bold. We may have signed 7 players but does anyone else agree with me that we have only really signed 3 potential first teamers?

Obviously the 3 im talking about are Darcheville, Cuellar and Beasley, but the rest are going to be squad players. Now there isnt anything wrong with this as we need fine back up and good numbers but I still think we are crying out for at least 2 more players who will go straight into the first team. Maybe Gow will have a bit more to play as he is a vertisle player who can play in behind the strikers and I have a good feeling about him.

But if we arent buying guys who are first pick then we arent improving IMO and we cant go into another season of being average after picking up no silverware in the last 2 seasons.

Im not having a dig at Smith's buys here Im just saying in the up coming weeks we still need to buy 2 players who can make a difference.

Unless WS pulls a rabbit out of the hat or identifies someone similar to Faubert, any more signings will probably be from McCulloch, Whittaker and Naismith. Has he not said he was looking to sign 3 more players, Carroll being one of them?

I know I've said it before, but I'm still most concerned about our lack of creativity and attacking flair in the middle of the park. I think those players above will strengthen our squad and I think a couple of them might well surprise us in terms of their contribution to the first team, but we're still lacking a special player, someone who can turn games and win matches for us.

I'd say we need another 3 players - at least 2 of them should be first XI picks.

:)

McCulloch and Naimsith? I don't see us being able to incorporate both of thema s first pcisk, it would likely depend on formation and tactics.

Either of those two fit the bill in your opinion?

I have previously stated i'd like McCulloch to sign. Good competition for CA. Will attack the back post when we're playing down the right and can also be utilised up front.

McCulloch and Naimsith? I don't see us being able to incorporate both of thema s first pcisk, it would likely depend on formation and tactics.

Either of those two fit the bill in your opinion?

I have previously stated i'd like McCulloch to sign. Good competition for CA. Will attack the back post when we're playing down the right and can also be utilised up front.

Where would you play Beasley, if at all?

I would rather have Beasley than McCulloch

Where would you play Beasley, if at all?

I would rather have Beasley than McCulloch

Temporarily slipped my mind.

Guess it depends on opposition and tactics.

From what I know of Beasley he is pacey, will beat a man and look to hit the bye line. Will be useful for breaking down stubborn defences when teams have men behind the ball, but also for fast counter attacking.

McCulloch might be more useful for a more solid traditional flat four and can also play upfront. I guess it depends what WS has in mind for LMc?

Its nice to have the options for once.

We just need a right sided player unless Sionko has woken up and puts his boots on the right feet and burke has been training with the WWE all summer.