Empty stadium syndrome

Watched some of the FA cup ties and watched good sides and good players who seemed to struggle and I wonder if playing in empty stadiums has had an adverse effect on the so called big teams , but more importantly how will we cope at Ibrox our lads are used to playing home games in large crowds,  will it be a hindrance or a help .

Watched the Chelsea v Man City game and it had canned crowd noise which personally I didn't like. Wondered if a large part of the purpose in that is to blank out some of the shouting between players. Likely to be a fair amount of aw FFS and the like in there.

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Watched the Chelsea v Man City game and it had canned crowd noise which personally I didn't like. Wondered if a large part of the purpose in that is to blank out some of the shouting between players. Likely to be a fair amount of aw FFS and the like in there.

Mate, On Sky they give you the option of canned crowd noise or the silence from the stadium itself.  The canned crowd noise is horrendous because of the delay.  And on the silence from the stadium the commentators are frequently apologising for colorful language.

I personally prefer the silence - wouldn't mind it in OF games next season instead of Andy Walker - he is the reason they invented the mute button

3 hours ago, craig said:

Mate, On Sky they give you the option of canned crowd noise or the silence from the stadium itself.  The canned crowd noise is horrendous because of the delay.  And on the silence from the stadium the commentators are frequently apologising for colorful language.

I personally prefer the silence - wouldn't mind it in OF games next season instead of Andy Walker - he is the reason they invented the mute button

I love a bit of colourful language sometimes its better than blinking rubbish being served up on the park .

4 hours ago, craig said:

I watched on Fox Sports and there was no option to remove the canned crowd, it's simply not going to happen here given that there will be 'colourful language'. They even edit films for the most innocuous of reasons.

Just one example of that is 'The Matrix' which is a favourite of mine. Seen it on a number of occasions so pretty familiar with the script. There's a scene where the crew are trying to get a bug placed in Neo's body by Agent Smith out.

They get it out, Neo sees it and says "Jesus Christ that things real"

In Oklahoma that becomes "Jeepers creepers that things real". Just one of many language edits in the matrix alone and the the matrix is hardly hard core.

I can’t watch the games with the canned crowd noise. It’s pathetic, as if they know the actual quality of football is so bad they have to try to generate an atmosphere to mask the over-rated product on view.  Watching with just the comms and players noise is slightly better but I have found myself just muting it altogether and watching the action with no noise at all. You can follow the game for yourself just like watching it from the terrace, without the full pitch vision.

Kind of like I end up doing in a Ian Crock of Shit/ Andy Wanker comms game anyway. 

11 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I can’t watch the games with the canned crowd noise. It’s pathetic, as if they know the actual quality of football is so bad they have to try to generate an atmosphere to mask the over-rated product on view.  Watching with just the comms and players noise is slightly better but I have found myself just muting it altogether and watching the action with no noise at all. You can follow the game for yourself just like watching it from the terrace, without the full pitch vision.

Kind of like I end up doing in a Ian Crock of Shit/ Andy Wanker comms game anyway. 

British sports commentators have a really annoying habit of talking when there's nothing to talk about or when it adds nothing at all to the viewer's appreciation. I've noticed a big difference in Scandinavia where commentators generally only talk when there's something worth saying. In the UK it's as if the viewer can't be trusted to watch TV unguided, in case they think for themselves or draw their own conclusions. We present TV in the same way we present radio commentary, which when you think about it, is completely daft. So I agree that turning the sound down is often the best way to watch a game on TV.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

British sports commentators have a really annoying habit of talking when there's nothing to talk about or when it adds nothing at all to the viewer's appreciation. I've noticed a big difference in Scandinavia where commentators generally only talk when there's something worth saying. In the UK it's as if the viewer can't be trusted to watch TV unguided, in case they think for themselves or draw their own conclusions. We present TV in the same way we present radio commentary, which when you think about it, is completely daft. So I agree that turning the sound down is often the best way to watch a game on TV.

Agree completely @Bill when you watch old footage and listen to the commentators doing the game, and even when they added an expert sidekick, there are still plenty of "quiet" moments where you can just watch the action and let the action speak for itself. Nowadays the comms teams think they are a part of the game itself, when mostly they are an irritant.

And dont get me started on the ex-player expert analysis on co-comms. They are there to add a players perspective on tactics, what the players are thinking, what they are trying to do, and mostly all we get is a confirmation of what we watched, like "what a great cross" or "goalie should have got that", which adds absolutely nothing to the game at all other than an annoying drone.