Can Kai Kennedy play his part this season?

13 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

The step up to the first team squad will always be too big a step for the vast majority of youth players at any big club.  Rangers are no different. 

I dont know why we bother to have a youth at up.   Mcrorie is the last player I can remember to come through the ranks and we punted him out on loan.    

8 hours ago, gisabeer said:

I dont know why we bother to have a youth at up.   Mcrorie is the last player I can remember to come through the ranks and we punted him out on loan.    

Agree. And what are the costs having youth teams and all the various coaches when virtually none of the players become first team regulars? Could that money be better spent elsewhere?

On 08/07/2020 at 18:31, MrGaryValentine said:

I totally agree with the above, Polster, Ojo and Baker - possibly Stewart - are all perfect examples of players who are preventing our Academy boys from getting game time. I would even question the benefit of throwing Defoe on for 10 minutes in certain games when in certain games a youth player could get some valuable minutes - especially at Ibrox. 

They are 'preventing' the youth players from getting game time because they're better players.  It's 100% down to the youth players to show that they're better.  If they are, they'll get game time.  In my opinion I don't think any of the current players are good enough to break into the first team.  Kelly has an opportunity to prove me wrong this season on his loan, and I hope he does.  The rest are good players, but do we really think that Kennedy can be anywhere near as effective as Hagi or Kent?  Do we think Patterson can do the job of Tav?  I don't.  It's an inconvenient truth but the only one who did look like a first team player was Gilmour and we've lost him to Chelsea.  If these others were really that promising they'd be attracted elsewhere too.  I'm sure they'll have careers but not at Rangers.

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

Young Paterson needs to go out on loan first & get experience before he can be considered for the first team squad

Seen him at the Wrexham game where he constantly tore senior players apart before having to go off injured after a cynical tackle from one of those players.