Diversity and Inclusion Charter

The UK lockdown occurred two days after the German lockdown.

Although I'm not quite sure what this has to do with whether Dave can use the women's bogs in the Broomloan Stand.

Edited by Gonzo79

21 hours ago, stewarty said:

Who is playing the man rather than the ball?  You and that the Guido article. 

The ball in this case, would be to examine what independent SAGE are saying, compare it to the actual SAGE advice and subsequent government decisions.  It would also be to examine why they were set up, what their aims and objectives are, and to examine what they are actually saying rather than what you assume they are saying.

Regardless of any political views they may hold, they felt the need to set up such a panel and to do the work they are doing because they had significant concerns about the approach this government has taken and the way that the work of SAGE was and continues to be scandalised and politicised.  Some of the concens that led to were based on the lack of transparency of the group's work given how significant it is to the actions the government has taken.

It also took a number of weeks and a lot of media pressure to get SAGE to publish its minutes and guidance,.  Many of SAGE's members did not want to be known publicly for fear of public backlash.   The government itself has been given advice on a number of occasions which it did not act upon for a number of weeks.  An example is the use of face masks/ coverings in public spaces such as shops - something that was recommended weeks and weeks ago, but has only now been adopted by the UK government.   How many lives did that cost in terms of the number of the potential for increasing the spread of the disease?

No matter what way you look at it, any group of scientists that are prepared to put their heads above the parapet, transparently publish their findings and recommendations to enable other people to review and scrutinise their work, must surely be a good thing, no?  Or is it simply that anyone who doesn't agree with the government's approach should fuck off and get over it?  

An example of Independent SAGE's work.  They've written to the CMO on this, asking for the government to change its approach.

Independent SAGE believes that the UK government must fundamentally change its approach and we propose a new overarching strategic objective of achieving a Zero COVID UK, i.e. the elimination of the virus from the UK. We believe this should be informed by science and debated in public, and a proper coordinated strategy for its achievement developed with the public.

KEY POINTS

●  The prospect of many thousands of further deaths from COVID-19 over the next nine months is unacceptable

●  The UK government must propose and share with the public a strategic plan on how the pandemic is going to be managed in the next 12 months and of how the various measures against the pandemic fit together in an integrated plan.

●  Independent SAGE believes that this strategy should have as its prime objective the achievement of a Zero COVID Britain and Ireland

●  It will require the government in Whitehall to replace their failing NHS Test and Trace System with a fully-fledged and locally controlled system of Find, Test, Trace, Isolate, Support (FTTIS)

●  The Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Northern Ireland already have very few deaths and very small numbers of new positive cases. They have the virus under control and are well placed to achieve elimination of the virus

●  England and Wales will need to make the necessary efforts as soon as possible to achieve the same position

●  Achieving elimination would allow all social distancing measures to be lifted, schools to be fully open, the hospitality and entertainment industries to reopen fully, revitalisation of the economy and a sense of much needed normality for the population.

https://www.independentsage.org/independent-sage-on-achieving-a-zero-covid-uk-i-e-the-elimination-of-the-virus-from-the-uk/

Aside from disagreeing with the government's approach, I don't see any partisan nature of this work on first reading.   Can anyone who disagrees with what Independent SAGE are recommending outline why, and what they would do differently?

@forlanssister

Amen gaffer. Outstanding. Every word is spot on.

Just a shame too many cant snap out of it. Yet they know what time they want there pie and peas at night.

Craig - it took you how many years to realise 9/11 was a psy op...are you falling into the same with this? Email me bud - i want to catch up with you. Unfortunately Mr Frankie (who) has diasbled my PM. I mean what a low blow.

10 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

it seems to have too many diverse paths

Are these diverse paths inclusive though?  That's the question.

Diversification is only worthwhile when its inclusivity meets the required standard.  

36 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Amen gaffer. Outstanding. Every word is spot on.

Just a shame too many cant snap out of it. Yet they know what time they want there pie and peas at night.

Craig - it took you how many years to realise 9/11 was a psy op...are you falling into the same with this? Email me bud - i want to catch up with you. Unfortunately Mr Frankie (who) has diasbled my PM. I mean what a low blow.

So Covid-19 isn't a virus and people aren't dying from it as it's a hoax?

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

So Covid-19 isn't a virus and people aren't dying from it as it's a hoax?

Nothing confirms self-righteousness like adopting a conspiracy theory. The psychology of it is fascinating, there’s virtually nothing we can’t convince ourselves to believe.