Diversity and Inclusion Charter

Regarding Covid and face masks, the truth is elusive and everyone will have to live with their own decisions. But I suspect the latest Govt instructions are a response to what will shortly be announced - that the Oxford vaccine trials have failed and all focus must now be on controlling the virus through next winter and spring. That will mean doing absolutely everything possible to minimise transmission rates by the autumn and face masks are one element. One thing we would be wise to accept is that we might not actually be the virology or epidemiology experts we think we are - and be prepared to listen to advice like adults.

Well, I used FF ever since I had access to internet and they were up and running. No problems whatsoever for those decades now, but they have a far greater amount of members and admins and some do not handle certain topics like others would. Don't think that makes them better or worse than Gersnet et al, just different. And having 15k members is making administration and well-handling a task I don't envy, at least wehn it comes to a football board.

Seems to me here’s a trend on social media not only to question expert opinion but to deny it out of hand. I read there is absolutely nothing to be gained by wearing masks when it’s patently obvious that isn’t true. We might argue about the efficacy of masks and whether that benefit is the same for everyone. We might debate whether masks should have been introduced sooner or where they should be worn, or even the type of masks we should wear, but to declare on behalf of humanity that masks should not be worn seems to me to be arrogant and selfish. If one Other person feels less vulnerable, less fearful because I do them the courtesy of wearing a mask then surely that alone is reason enough to do so. Or have we become so self-serving that we don’t care about others and are willing to invent expertise to justify it? It’s not about big brother or controlling society. It’s just a f**king face mask and the tiny effort to wear one for others. If you can’t get your head round that you need to have a serious word with yourself. 

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

Or have we become so self-serving that we don’t care about others

That's what some say about people who are opposed to higher taxes, Bill.

Who decides who the 'experts' are?  You?  Boris Johnson?  Nicola Sturgeon?  The World Health Organisation?  Lancet?  Spectator?

20 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Who decides who the 'experts' are?  You?  Boris Johnson?  Nicola Sturgeon?  The World Health Organisation?  Lancet?  Spectator?

Not all comparisons are equally valid And I think trying to deny the existence of genuine experts by issuing a smoke screen of silly examples is adolescent. 

44 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Who decides who the 'experts' are? 

Easier to say who isn’t. Assuming we’re talking science and medicine, here are a few:

Lineker

Markle

Harry Wales

Hugh Grant

Lily Allen

Owen Jones

Me

Gribz is a bit suspect.

18 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I am sure I remember when they all wheeled out their experts who said that not only were face masks useless, they would actually be dangerous.  Or did I dream that?  I think these are the experts bill is talking about.  Or maybe it's the experts at the WHO who said this was not serious at all.  Then after lobbying these experts are now changing their opinions.  Funny that.  It would be educational to look back at those interviews but I doubt many will do that.

According to some on here, COVID is also a cure for other health conditions.  It's cured flu completely (ONS statistics), and now very few people die with heart disease or stroke (ONS statistics).  It's a miracle.  Nothing to see here.  It's also amazing that lockdown actually increased the death rate (ONS official figures again).  Anyone want to dispute that?  I won't wear a mask.  It's not selfish, it's just called being smart (in my opinion).  I think wearing a mask is stupid, useless, and still causes the same dangers we were warned about when the experts explained why they would do nothing to prevent the spread of this or any other virus.  Selective memories, or short ones being demonstrated on here.

I do however realise it's pointless because there has been a brilliant effort to brainwash the masses into believing the official story and that's proven on here.  It's funny that Rousseau said I had made some pretty big statements and where was the evidence.  I just wish that same question had been asked of the governments and officials when they locked us down, removed freedoms, and killed thousands of people as a result of their actions.  Nope, there was no demand for evidence then, we just went along with it.  Not me!

Anyway, I just came on to send a couple of private messages and realise I should not have re-engaged.  I've really enjoyed my time on Gersnet.  Hopefully the one thing we do agree on (seeing a successful Rangers team) can be realised this season.  I wish you all and yours the very best.

Ok so let’s all agree on something. How about “There are lots of non-experts around so therefore there are no experts at all”. Or let’s try another one - “experts sometimes get it wrong, therefore experts never get it right”. See how clever we can be when we try really hard. 

The point of experts isn’t to tell you the answers to everything and make decisions for you. It’s to provide informed opinion so you can reach better decisions yourself. It all goes tits up when you mix these things up. 

Edited by Bill