Diversity and Inclusion Charter

It is slightly concerning that on a day where one of our players is once again racially abused, sections of our support are more upset with Goldson taking a stance against racism than the fact one of our players was racially abused. 

Maybe instead of criticising CG on faceless / anonymous social media, why don't people contact CG, our club and / our other black players and discuss why he / they feel the need to "take the knee". 

Racism is alive and kicking in this country and its an evil cancer on society and it must be eradicated. 

I lived out with these shores for circa 5 years and have noticed a huge difference since my return.

Maybe down to social media culture, but as above racism is here and no point denying it. 

18 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I lived out with these shores for circa 5 years and have noticed a huge difference since my return

Divisive actions cause division, unsurprisingly.  

On 16/07/2020 at 13:31, stewarty said:

Who is playing the man rather than the ball?  You and that the Guido article. 

The ball in this case, would be to examine what independent SAGE are saying, compare it to the actual SAGE advice and subsequent government decisions.  It would also be to examine why they were set up, what their aims and objectives are, and to examine what they are actually saying rather than what you assume they are saying.

Nice of you to assume I didn't eh?

Regardless of any political views they may hold, they felt the need to set up such a panel and to do the work they are doing because they had significant concerns about the approach this government has taken and the way that the work of SAGE was and continues to be scandalised and politicised.  Some of the concens that led to were based on the lack of transparency of the group's work given how significant it is to the actions the government has taken.

Regardless of any political views? They're a pure political construct. You can't appoint yourselves to your own group then claim to be "independent", that simply doesn't hold up.

It also took a number of weeks and a lot of media pressure to get SAGE to publish its minutes and guidance,.  Many of SAGE's members did not want to be known publicly for fear of public backlash.   The government itself has been given advice on a number of occasions which it did not act upon for a number of weeks.  An example is the use of face masks/ coverings in public spaces such as shops - something that was recommended weeks and weeks ago, but has only now been adopted by the UK government.   How many lives did that cost in terms of the number of the potential for increasing the spread of the disease?

I recall WHO "experts" telling us there was no human to human transmission of this virus. I recall being told there was no danger in mass gatherings such as football games then the same "experts" having a volte face, I recall being told by Scottish Government "experts" that wearing a face mask was pointless and it wouldn't stop anyone getting the virus then another volte face. We're currently being told by "experts" that if we go to the shops or use public transport we must wear masks and social distance by 2m yet the same "experts" are telling us if we go to the pub it only has to be 1m and no masks are necessary. What caused these volte faces, the virus hasn't changed, our understanding of it hasn't changed, the only thing that's changed is the politics.

I do wear a mask when necessary but I'm not naive enough to believe for 1 single second that would prevent me catching the virus.

No matter what way you look at it, any group of scientists that are prepared to put their heads above the parapet, transparently publish their findings and recommendations to enable other people to review and scrutinise their work, must surely be a good thing, no?  Or is it simply that anyone who doesn't agree with the government's approach should fuck off and get over it?  

I'll stick with the real SAGE group not the fake self appointed group who are unaccountable and responsible to nobody bar themselves.

https://fullfact.org/health/independent-sage-27000/

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Conor Goldson has also felt the need to address some of the posts and comments left by supporters on this subject from his personal account. Both are worth reading. 

As I said earlier in this thread if this is important to a number of our players I've no problem with our club supporting it. It doesn't threaten my identity or my understanding on how a democratic society should function. 

I've seen Goldson's comments that it's "about equality, not politics" but he's making a gesture that supports a political movement. He claims that there's ignorance but perhaps it's him that's being ignorant of (some of) the concerns (although not denying that there are other reasons for some people's opposition to it). and what many think the gesture means.

I'd guess that peer pressure/social media have forced some players into following the herd, and that's not very "democratic". I understand Goldson's reasons for doing it but perhaps he should make a greater effort to understand the views of those who are against the BLM organisation.

Likewise, do the club have a realistic option not to support BLM? I've got no idea what the board think about it, but they don't have an option but to support it, and I'm uncomfortable with that and again it's no really how a "democratic society" should function.

It was interesting to see the F1 drivers wearing anti-racism t-shirts but only Hamilton wore a BLM one and most appeared not to take the knee. 

I keep seeing people saying that taking the knee and the clenched fist aren't political.  They obviously only have a very basic grasp of what 'political' means.

Reading some of the comments from fans and players on social media demonstrates that we have some fans who should probably comment less and also that social media, in general, is having a negative impact on society.

Genuine question - how long is the taking the knee gesture going to continue in Scottish football?

I note Serie A have chosen not to participate.

Edited by Gonzo79

Racism is abhorrent & should be eradicated but the question needs asked whether the BLM organisation are the best way to contribute to this. Seems to me they’re anarchists who have jumped on the anti-racism bandwagon to further their own aims.

Serious question  - has anyone on here faced racist abuse on an ongoing basis? 

I pulled someone up at the Legia Euro game for calling one of OUR players as a useless black cuXx - a few folks around me, turned on ME until a few more around backed me. 

Racism is on the rise and at the moment BLM are the only vehicle for those being abused to jump on. 

Just try and imagine living your life being constantly abused just for the colour of your skin. How would you deal with it? 

Finally, for some of our fans to round on our players for simply wanting an end to racism is dispicable 

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

BLM are the only vehicle for those being abused to jump on.

Racist acts and abuse are illegal, so a victim has the option to report an incident to the Police.

4 minutes ago, CammyF said:

for some of our fans to round on our players for simply wanting an end to racism is dispicable 

I agree but some of the criticisms relate to the BLM movement itself, rather than anti-racism.  BLM has an agenda which includes Israel/Palestine, the nuclear family, police funding and various other things which aren't directly linked to race issues.

14 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Racist acts and abuse are illegal, so a victim has the option to report an incident to the Police.

I agree but some of the criticisms relate to the BLM movement itself, rather than anti-racism.  BLM has an agenda which includes Israel/Palestine, the nuclear family, police funding and various other things which aren't directly linked to race issues.

CG has repeatedly stated his support is for equality only. Can't see why he is getting grief for this from our fans.

As for reporting it to the Police, maybe once you've reported 3 or 4 incidents and the abuse continues, you look for other option?  That is not a criticism of the Police by the way.

I have family members who receive racist abuse due to skin colour, I have workmates who receive abuse due to their religion. 

Maybe BLM isn't the answer, but there is a REAL problem that needs urgently addresses and fixed. 

Edited by CammyF