What is the truth about face masks?

On 20/07/2020 at 12:00, stewarty said:

Hitchens constant reference to muzzles is instructive.  Deliberately emotive language to provoke a response, to sow the seeds of doubt.

Whereas, the sober reality is that its just common sense, and science backs it up.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/06/stanford-scientists-contribute-to-who-mask-guidelines.html

7 hours ago, stewarty said:

Why?

You mentioned 'science backs it up'.

What do you think the related research demonstrates?

5 hours ago, compo said:

If men or I suppose these days women have a beard then face masks are not of any use .

No masks commonly available are of any use to the wearer, beard or not, but might be of some use to people the wearer is in close contact with. It might be only little benefit but so far I've seen no one provide clear evidence that it does no good at all. On that basis, while I'd rather not, I'll wear a mask where it makes sense to do so for the possible benefit of the next guy.

18 minutes ago, Bill said:

No masks commonly available are of any use to the wearer, beard or not, but might be of some use to people the wearer is in close contact with. It might be only little benefit but so far I've seen no one provide clear evidence that it does no good at all. On that basis, while I'd rather not, I'll wear a mask where it makes sense to do so for the possible benefit of the next guy.

The burden of proof should be on those who want masks to be worn.

7 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

You mentioned 'science backs it up'.

What do you think the related research demonstrates?

The scientists mentioned in the article specifically talk about their findings in relation to the research conducted.